Hey guys and gals:

I've been lurking around these forums for a while and while I know ultimately this question comes between my personal preferences, my decision could be helped by the opinion of the multiple experts on this forum...

I don't own either an iphone or a blackberry, nor have I ever. I've been on Verizon for 5 years and my carrier before that was Nextel. I haven't switched carriers enough to really understand the difference in service/call quality between ATT and Verizon.

I've used both blackberries and iphones, and am a Mac user for life. I love the keyboards on Blackberries but also love the multimedia and apps on the iphone. If I had to choose just a device, it would be Iphone hands down.

However, I'm worried about switching from Verizon to ATT. I'm halfway through my contract so it should only cost me about $120 to break, which I'm not worried about. Either way I'm going to upgrade to a Tour or iphone which will cost me $199, and the rate plans would be pretty much the same on both phones, so I'm not factoring cost into this.

Really, the big question, for those that have gone back and forth between the two, is "Is the dropoff in service between Verizon and ATT big enough to give the Tour an advantage over the iphone for someone who will use multimedia more than business features?". Ultimately, my cell service is important to me and I don't want to lose too much by going to ATT.

I have no need for push email and do practically no emailing from my phone. I just wonder if the multimedia aspect of the new blackberries is sufficient enough for someone who wants access to games, videos, and music on their phone?

I'm in Chicago, and I know this topic has been beaten to the ground, but any thoughts from experience would be appreciated
    07-03-09 01:42 PM
    It all depends on your preference and your needs. First, consider the networks. If the coverage is about the same where you are then decide whether you want a touchscreen or not. The decide is you want a device that excels in messaging features or one in multimedia features. But don't get me wrong, the messagining on the iPhone is pretty good too, but you won't have push email unless you have exchange, mobileme or forward everything you yahoo. But the HTML email is the best. If you want a lot of different apps that are free or very cheap and a great browser, media player then I'd go iPhone. Ultimately, it depends on what you feel you will need the device for to make that decision.
    07-03-09 02:53 PM
    Hey Scorpiodsu, thanks for the reply:

Yeah, part of the problem is that ATT voice coverage is spotty in my area. At my address their map shows signal strength at the strongest, but plenty of patches of Good and Moderate are mixed into the Best in the surrounding areas. 3G coverage is at the highest rating everywhere around me.

Verizon, meanwhile, it unquestionably having better coverage. There's not a single patch of anything lower than best within probably a 10 mile radius of my home. 3g is best for them as well here too.

How much worse are "good" and "Moderate" areas on an iphone on ATT? I'm not expecting crystal clear calls, but I also don't want to have issues if I can avoid it
    07-03-09 03:13 PM
    Give it the 30 day try!
    07-03-09 03:26 PM
    It all depends if you want a toy or a blackberry. Do you want to be able to multi task then blackberry. If you want an ipod with a phone then its an iphone. Both of my roomates have iphones and they wish they could search the web and check email at the same time. So they wished they got a berry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-09 03:34 PM
    Hey Scorpiodsu, thanks for the reply:

Yeah, part of the problem is that ATT voice coverage is spotty in my area. At my address their map shows signal strength at the strongest, but plenty of patches of Good and Moderate are mixed into the Best in the surrounding areas. 3G coverage is at the highest rating everywhere around me.

Verizon, meanwhile, it unquestionably having better coverage. There's not a single patch of anything lower than best within probably a 10 mile radius of my home. 3g is best for them as well here too.

How much worse are "good" and "Moderate" areas on an iphone on ATT? I'm not expecting crystal clear calls, but I also don't want to have issues if I can avoid it

Well try it out for a couple weeks and see how the service is for you.
    07-03-09 03:47 PM
    It all depends if you want a toy or a blackberry. Do you want to be able to multi task then blackberry. If you want an ipod with a phone then its an iphone. Both of my roomates have iphones and they wish they could search the web and check email at the same time. So they wished they got a berry

Yeah it's brutal browsing the web on a blackberry anyway. How can one read emails and browse the internet at the same time? The native apps i.e Browser, email, messages and phone function all run simultaneously. So you may want to use another example.
    07-03-09 03:49 PM

Checking emails while surfing the web isn't that difficult with an iPhone. You simply close Safari and open your email. I have a Storm and check email and surf the web all the time. It still requires you to leave one application and check the other. There is no split screen on a Blackberry

As far as the OP goes, the Tour and the iPhone are two completely different phones and would be hard to compare. I think you should have a look at both in person in order to decide preliminarily if you like either. Hands on is the best way for you to tell which one works best for you.

CDMA on VZW does not allow simultaneous use of data and voice. GSM on AT&T does, but if coverage in your area is marginal, that would quickly become very unattractive.

As someone else recommended, both carriers allow a 30 day trial. You would probably benefit from that option.
    07-03-09 04:05 PM
    It all depends if you want a toy or a blackberry.
    Why must people insist on calling the iPhone a toy. It is only BB users that call it a toy. It is either jealousy or ignorance that leads to this conclusion.

The iPhone is not a toy. It is a fully functional device that is great at browsing, media, and business needs. Rich HTML email and full exchange support. I don't know how that makes it a toy. It does it all.

And finally, the iPhone does multitask, just not with 3rd party apps. The 3GS is quick enough where you wont even notice a difference anyways.

I have a Bold also and do not find the iPhone to be a toy compared to my Bold. Yes BBs are "better" (security wise) than iPhones for business, but the iPhone is no slacker.

You can't search the internet and browse the web at the same time on a BB, like someone said, there is no split screen. It is the same on the iPhone. You switch from the browser to the mail app. You don't lose your current webpage and you don't lose your spot in the mail app. Show me someone looking at their mail and searching the web at the same time on a BB. It's not possible. It requires the opening and minimizing of one app or the other.
    Last edited by avt123; 07-03-09 at 04:16 PM.
    07-03-09 04:12 PM
    Hey guys and gals:

I've been lurking around these forums for a while and while I know ultimately this question comes between my personal preferences, my decision could be helped by the opinion of the multiple experts on this forum...

I don't own either an iphone or a blackberry, nor have I ever. I've been on Verizon for 5 years and my carrier before that was Nextel. I haven't switched carriers enough to really understand the difference in service/call quality between ATT and Verizon.

I've used both blackberries and iphones, and am a Mac user for life. I love the keyboards on Blackberries but also love the multimedia and apps on the iphone. If I had to choose just a device, it would be Iphone hands down.

However, I'm worried about switching from Verizon to ATT. I'm halfway through my contract so it should only cost me about $120 to break, which I'm not worried about. Either way I'm going to upgrade to a Tour or iphone which will cost me $199, and the rate plans would be pretty much the same on both phones, so I'm not factoring cost into this.

Really, the big question, for those that have gone back and forth between the two, is "Is the dropoff in service between Verizon and ATT big enough to give the Tour an advantage over the iphone for someone who will use multimedia more than business features?". Ultimately, my cell service is important to me and I don't want to lose too much by going to ATT.

I have no need for push email and do practically no emailing from my phone. I just wonder if the multimedia aspect of the new blackberries is sufficient enough for someone who wants access to games, videos, and music on their phone?

I'm in Chicago, and I know this topic has been beaten to the ground, but any thoughts from experience would be appreciated
    It sounds like you should get the iPhone. BBs are known for their push email, keyboards and security. You do almost no email so you wont need push. Games on BBs do not compare to those on the iPhone because there are much more developers for the iPhone. I also find the graphics on the iPhone to be much much better. Videos on the iPhone are also better due to the better media player and better graphics. And music...it has a built in iPod, the number one selling mp3 player on the planet.

But, service is the big issue. If Verizon is better in your area, get the Tour. I do suggest trying out the iPhone though for 30 days and make a decision. If you find the coverage of AT&T to be good by that time then keep the iPhone. If not, get the Tour. Or try both for 30 days and then choose which you liked better after.
    07-03-09 04:23 PM
    Checking emails while surfing the web isn't that difficult with an iPhone. You simply close Safari and open your email. I have a Storm and check email and surf the web all the time. It still requires you to leave one application and check the other. There is no split screen on a Blackberry
    LOL. Exactly. He acted like you could check email and browse the web at the very same time on a blackberry. Some people say the dumbest things.
    07-04-09 10:47 AM
    Apple knows multi-tasking is on it's users wish lists. One thing I respect most about apple is they complete a product, and refine it before they put it out. Considering some of the limitations it started out with they are making the steps in the right direction.
    07-04-09 11:29 AM

If you want to multi task get a laptop. The BB is not a very fast multi tasker.
    07-04-09 01:14 PM
    I was in the exact same position as the op a few weeks ago. I've been with Verizon for 5 years and happy with their service. My old dumbphone took a dump and I needed a new one sooner than later. The Tour hadn't been officially announced yet, so I bought an iPhone out of curiosity, thinking that I would return it if I didn't like it and buy a Tour. I use it only for personal use, no business, so there is no advantage to me for the better email & security features of the bb. I was a little concerned about coming to AT&T from Verizon. I've had the iPhone for about 2 weeks now, and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to keep it. No problems with service, the phone offers a lot. I don't need to get every email the second it is sent...I have my set to fetch once an hour. I love the internet browsing on the iPhone. Very fast. I also use a Mac and the syncing is a breeze. I'm sure I would have been happy with the Tour had it been available, I would have bought it, but as it turns out, I ended up with iPhone and am happy so far.
    07-04-09 05:19 PM
    I also use a Mac and the syncing is a breeze. I'm sure I would have been happy with the Tour had it been available, I would have bought it, but as it turns out, I ended up with iPhone and am happy so far.
    Well if you have a Mac, the iPhone is a much better choice. I only have a Bold because I have an old PC I use to update it and backup data. BB does not have native syncing for a Mac, you have to use third-party programs that really really suck and are not reliable at all.
    07-04-09 06:17 PM
    Definitely sounds you are leaning towards and want an iPhone. Buy a prepaid cell and use it... if you have good coverage with it, you'll have the same and probably even better (prepaid doesn't have as good coverage).
    07-04-09 06:27 PM
    Definitely sounds you are leaning towards and want an iPhone. Buy a prepaid cell and use it... if you have good coverage with it, you'll have the same and probably even better (prepaid doesn't have as good coverage).
    Wow, that is actually one of the best ideas I've heard in a while. Really the big thing for me is the change in service, but I have an old Nextel line I have to carry for work and that works fine everywhere I go, so I can't imagine ATT being "Horrible". I drop calls on Verizon too anyways. I need to be able to sync to a Mac and all the research I've done on missingsync and all that I could either have a known problem with syncing or a maybe problem with service. I'll let you guys know what I think of the new iphone, thanks for the help
    07-05-09 05:49 PM
    In the area I live, at&t's coverage map is mixed with the best/moderate/poor coverage like yours seems to be. However, it's all covered with 3G so I always have 5 bars of 3G service so you shouldn't be too concerned about coverage if 3G blankets your area.

That being said it sounds like you'd want an iPhone and it is a great device! Having both blackberrys and iPhones I can say that both devices have their pros and cons it's just up to you to decide what you can live with or without.
    07-05-09 06:33 PM
    In the area I live, at&t's coverage map is mixed with the best/moderate/poor coverage like yours seems to be. However, it's all covered with 3G so I always have 5 bars of 3G service so you shouldn't be too concerned about coverage if 3G blankets your area.

That being said it sounds like you'd want an iPhone and it is a great device! Having both blackberrys and iPhones I can say that both devices have their pros and cons it's just up to you to decide what you can live with or without.
    Perfect. Exactly how I feel.
    07-05-09 09:22 PM
    Well as far as AT&T 3G coverage in Chicago check this map:

AT&T Coverage Viewer

Click the "View 3G/Mobile Broadband coverage (in select areas)" link and then scroll down to Chicago to see what it looks like for you.

Based on what you've said you're looking for in a smartphone I would recommend an iPhone 3GS 32Gig hands down. You get iTunes support, mobile gaming, email/texting (I actually prefer it on the iPhone vs BB), the App Store, WiFi, the ability to stream TV shows and movies directly to your phone (rent or buy or season passes through iTunes) and more. You'll also be on GSM which allows you to use voice and data services at the same time. You can't do that on Verizon. This includes browsing the web, sending/receiving emails, texting, mapping, etc. Also you use a Mac, and an iPhone integrates beautifully with a Mac for obvious reasons. Add in MobileMe support and I see no reason you would even want to consider staying with Verizon for the Tour, which is just a wannabe 9000/8900 that works on CDMA.
    Last edited by Jeli; 07-05-09 at 10:16 PM.
    07-05-09 10:14 PM
    Get an Iphone, can't find a single blackberry that outperforms it especially since you do little emailing and so won't need a physical keyboard for long typing nor will you need advanced security features. Iphone is definitely not a toy and if we talk about toys comparing the iphone to the bold is like comparing xbox 360 to nintendo 64 (anyone remembers those)? except RIM keeps re-marketing their "nintendo 64 OS" in different shiny boxes --I've had blackberries for a few years and they just don't cut it anymore.
    07-06-09 04:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD