Im a newbie to the iphone & I need some help.I have dled a custom ringtone app that works great! I am currently trying to add ringtones to certain contacts on my list. However, I can't add my own custom ringtones to each individual. Does anyone know how to?
    07-14-10 03:38 PM
    Are they actually listed in your ringtones?
    07-14-10 03:43 PM
    Im a newbie to the iphone & I need some help.I have dled a custom ringtone app that works great! I am currently trying to add ringtones to certain contacts on my list. However, I can't add my own custom ringtones to each individual. Does anyone know how to?
    Select "Edit" for the contact. Then tap the "Ringtone" box. From there you'll be able to select a custom ringtone for your contact. Adding a photo is pretty much the same too, in addition to other info like addresses, and more phone numbers.
    07-14-10 03:45 PM
    Are they actually listed in your ringtones?
    yes it is. When I open up to my itunes its listed under ringtones.
    07-14-10 03:53 PM
    Select "Edit" for the contact. Then tap the "Ringtone" box. From there you'll be able to select a custom ringtone for your contact. Adding a photo is pretty much the same too, in addition to other info like addresses, and more phone numbers.
    Yes, I did that. Only 1 custom ringtones comes up. None of the other do. =[
    07-14-10 03:54 PM
    They're listed under ringtones on iTunes. But what about on your phone?
    07-14-10 04:09 PM
    They're listed under ringtones on iTunes. But what about on your phone?
    only 1 is listed under "CUSTOM." the rest aren't listed. I change the ringtones to m4r. Cuz thats what was listed in the directions from the app.
    07-14-10 04:13 PM
    only 1 is listed under "CUSTOM." the rest aren't listed. I change the ringtones to m4r. Cuz thats what was listed in the directions from the app.
    You have to change the encoding before you turn it into m4r. Revert
    the tones back to mp3. Then when you open the short song, convert it to
    AAC. Once you do that, now you can change the file extension to m4r. When
    you open it again, it automatically goes to your ringtones on iTunes. Just
    sync again when you're done.
    07-14-10 04:26 PM
    You have to change the encoding before you turn it into m4r. Revert
    the tones back to mp3. Then when you open the short song, convert it to
    AAC. Once you do that, now you can change the file extension to m4r. When
    you open it again, it automatically goes to your ringtones on iTunes. Just
    sync again when you're done.
    yup I did covert it to AAC before the m4r. Its already synced into my phone. but it doesn't show all the custom ringtones. It only shows 1 when I go to my phone settings.
    07-14-10 04:30 PM
    yup I did covert it to AAC before the m4r. Its already synced into my phone. but it doesn't show all the custom ringtones. It only shows 1 when I go to my phone settings.
    The ringtone has to less than 30 seconds in length. Cut it down to that length if it isn't.
    07-14-10 04:39 PM
    The ringtone has to less than 30 seconds in length. Cut it down to that length if it isn't.
    they are all under 30 secs. that was part of the app directions.
    07-14-10 04:41 PM
    I don't know what's going on but personally i use the program Audacity to cut my songs to the ringtones. It's free.
    07-14-10 05:21 PM
    I don't know what's going on but personally i use the program Audacity to cut my songs to the ringtones. It's free.
    i'm using custom ringtones app. =/ I just gave up. im frustrated with it. Its not rocket science. grrr. I did everything it told me to. So I got no idea why its not working. time to go bak to my bb. *Rawr*
    07-14-10 05:54 PM
    With Audacity you edit whatever music you want on the PC. Cut and edit or
    whatever. Then just sync once it's ready in iTunes.

Create the tone, save it, open it, convert it to AAC, close it, change the file
    extension to .m4r, open it again and it saves under ringtones automatically.
    Then just sync.

Many of those music editor apps suck to tell you the truth.

Audacity: Download
    07-14-10 05:59 PM
    I had this issue today. I'm not 100% sure why it was not working but I managed to fix it.

I think I still had files in the itunes music folder. I just searched it under windows and I still had non-m4r files so I deleted those. Then I put the correct files on itunes again and synced and it worked.

Honestly, I tried a bunch of things in a small amount of time I'm not really sure what really fixed it.

I hope this helps, it was quite frustrating.
    07-14-10 06:17 PM
    I had this issue today. I'm not 100% sure why it was not working but I managed to fix it.

I think I still had files in the itunes music folder. I just searched it under windows and I still had non-m4r files so I deleted those. Then I put the correct files on itunes again and synced and it worked.

Honestly, I tried a bunch of things in a small amount of time I'm not really sure what really fixed it.

I hope this helps, it was quite frustrating.
    its not under the itunes music folder cuz i deleted them after I synced them to my fone under m4r.

With Audacity you edit whatever music you want on the PC. Cut and edit or
    whatever. Then just sync once it's ready in iTunes.

Create the tone, save it, open it, convert it to AAC, close it, change the file
    extension to .m4r, open it again and it saves under ringtones automatically.
    Then just sync.

Many of those music editor apps suck to tell you the truth.

Audacity: Download
    thanx! I will try it out 2morrow(a bit to frustrated to play with it now) and I'll let ya know how it goes.
    07-14-10 08:57 PM
    i figured it out the issue. but it then erased all my music on my iphone. *rawr*
    07-14-10 11:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD