I like many others am looking to make the switch from verizon to att for the iphone. I've been reading a bit about jail breaking on here and had a couple questions.
    -Are there any real ways to brick the phone?
    -If apple/at&t come out with an update you can still get the update correct(if needed)? Or would you have to restore the phone first?
    -Where do you download apps from once you jail break the iphone?
    Thanks guys
    07-20-09 09:45 PM
    first off the phone will brick but the wonder of the iphone you just put it into dfu mode its like an emergency mode and do a restore. so no you can always fix it.

depending on the update soemtimes the update will interfere with the jailbreak you have to wait until cydia is adjusted to then update and rejailbreak or just forgo the update since there wont be a big update liek 3.0 until next year. apple is the only one that does updates not ATT its not like a BB updates are scarce but well advertised there is an update coming soon which is going to be 3.1 so if you get an iphone jailbreak it until 3.1 is released then pending on features you can restore to unjailbreak it and use 3.1 or wait for them to update cydia.

with a jailbroken phone you can downloads apps from cydia which usually are just apps that affect theme or functions of the phone restricted by apple such as a 5 icon dock background apps or a video recording for the 3g. otherwise your regular apps still come from itunes and do all your syncing through there.

and doing a restore is very easy and quick depending how much media you have movies and videos take the longest. so before a restore just have it not to resync that until you are ready.
    07-20-09 10:02 PM
    I like many others am looking to make the switch from verizon to att for the iphone. I've been reading a bit about jail breaking on here and had a couple questions.
    -If apple/at&t come out with an update you can still get the update correct(if needed)? Or would you have to restore the phone first?
    Thanks guys
    Any particular reason, you want to jailbreak the phone??
    07-21-09 07:30 PM
    Thanks guys
    Are there any real ways to brick the phone?
    By brick you mean to render the phone inoperable. No, none that I've read about. The worst case is that you have to 'restore your phone' in iTunes and start over.

If apple/at&t come out with an update you can still get the update correct(if needed)? Or would you have to restore the phone first?
    Yes. This will un-jailbreak your phone though and you will need to apply a new jailbreak that is compatible with the latest Apple OS revision. It is recommended to restore the phone to factory defaults before applying an official update.

Where do you download apps from once you jail break the iphone?
    You have a few ways to download apps for a jailbroken phone:

Websites - Popular iPhone blogs have links to 3rd party applications that can be installed onto your phone through SSH.

Cydia - This is the jailbreak version of the App Store that offers daily updates and allows you to install 3rd party apps and themes not approved by Apple. Learn it, love it, use it.

Icy - Like Cydia, slower to update but has a faster interface. I prefer Cydia.
    07-21-09 07:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD