did you guys see this article?

apparently there's an Google Voice iPhone app that enables users to have unlimited free txt messages, and international voice/phone calls from their handsets for 2 cents/minute that Apple stopped supporting after AT&T freaked out - the FCC is now looking into this, wondering if there's some illegal collusion going on - here's the actual article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/06/te...l?8cir&emc=cir

Is Google Voice a Threat to AT&T
    By DAVID POGUE

Our story so far:

Chapter 1: Apple creates the iPhone.

Chapter 2: Apple opens the App Store, an online catalog of cheap or free programs that you can download straight to the phone. Programmers all over the world write 70,000 apps for it that perform every amazing feat you can name.

Chapter 3: One of them is Google Voice, a front end for Google's amazing free phone-management system https://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/12/t...h/12pogue.html (https://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/12/t...h/12pogue.html). Among its many features: it lets you send free text messages and make 2-cent international calls, right from the iPhone.

Chapter 4: Apple mysteriously rejects this eminently useful app, refusing to list it in the App Store.

Then it goes even farther: it actually deletes from the App Store two similar programs called GV Mobile and Voice Central, which have been there for months. That is, Apple changes its mind retroactively -- and won't give the developers any logical explanation There’s No App for That « Riverturn Blog and Talk Back (There’s No App for That « Riverturn Blog and Talk Back).

Chapter 5: The blogosphere goes nuts. There's only one possible reason that Apple might delete these apps: because AT&T demanded it.

Why would AT&T care? Because of those free text messages and cheap international calls, of course. If these apps became popular, AT&T's revenue could take a serious hit.

This business has blown up in Apple/AT&T's face. The Federal Communications Commission, in fact, is now sniffing around, sending letters http://bit.ly/53FaK
    (http://bit.ly/53FaK) to Apple, AT&T and Google, clearly wondering if there's some illegal collusion going on. A few days later, Google's chief executive stepped down from Apple's board; tension is rising.

AT&T/Apple's logic doesn't even make sense. If the object is to prevent you from making cheap international calls, then they would also have to block Skype and all the other apps (already available) that let you do so. If it's to prevent you from sending free text messages, then they should also block FreeMMS and other apps that already do that.

It's almost as though AT&T/Apple never really cared while the apps in question stayed where they belonged--under the radar. But once big-shot Google got involved... well, we can't have that, can we?

(The whole thing is especially galling since text messages are pure profit for the cell carriers. Text messaging itself was invented when a researcher found "free capacity on the system" in an underused secondary cellphone channel:
    Why text messages are limited to 160 characters | Technology | Los Angeles Times
    Why text messages are limited to 160 characters | Technology | Los Angeles Times
    They may cost you and the recipient 20 cents each, but they cost the carriers pretty much zip.)

In short, what Apple and AT&T have accomplished with their heavy-handed, Soviet information-control style is not to bury these useful apps. Instead, Apple/AT&T have elevated them to martyr status--and, in effect, thrown down a worldwide challenge to programmers everywhere.

"Get around THIS," they're saying.

But guess what? It won't take long. They've put a rock in the river, but the water will just find a way around it.

Already, Google says it is readying a replacement for the Google Voice app that will offer exactly the same features as the rejected app--except that it will take the form of a specialized, iPhone-shaped Web page. For all intents and purposes, it will behave exactly the same as the app would have; you can even install it as an icon on your Home screen.

What's Apple going to do now? Start blocking access to individual Web sites?

No question about it: the next chapter has yet to be written. But I think you're going to like it.
    08-06-09 06:23 PM
    tl;dr but ATT and i-phone have gotten themselves into a pickle lately, it seems. Google is kinda mad at them too, lol!
    08-06-09 06:26 PM
    I don't really see the problem here. Google is putting up something that circumvents ATT and Apple making money. I can obviously see why people are upset that it isn't getting approved, but can you really blame them? Next google will be putting their own satellites in space and letting you get data for free. Let google put out their own phone and service is they're going to do this stuff.
    08-06-09 06:26 PM
    I don't really see the problem here. Google is putting up something that circumvents ATT and Apple making money. I can obviously see why people are upset that it isn't getting approved, but can you really blame them? Next google will be putting their own satellites in space and letting you get data for free. Let google put out their own phone and service is they're going to do this stuff.
    Google has phone service.
    Google and Sprint have been smooching for last 6 months.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 08-06-09 at 06:35 PM.
    08-06-09 06:32 PM
    Let google put out their own phone and service is they're going to do this stuff.
    That's like saying let Firefox (Mozilla) put out their own operating system if it wants to offer something for free that's included on Windows for a price.
    08-06-09 06:36 PM
    would love to see this app on a BB.
    08-06-09 06:38 PM
    There's some misinformation in the OP.

Google Voice doesn't let you make international calls for a 0.02/min flat rate. The rates are different depending on which country you call.

And apparently Eric Schmidt stepped down more because of the fact that Google is getting ready to release a computer OS, which both sides see as a major conflict of interest.

Also, about a day after it was pulled from the App Store, the Google Voice app was released through Cydia (for jailbroken iPhones).
    08-06-09 06:41 PM
    would love to see this app on a BB.
    It IS out for the BlackBerry.. m.google.com download Google Voice (might want to request an invite first from Google.)
    08-06-09 06:45 PM
    (for jailbroken iPhones).
    Which Apple sees as illegal

iPhone Jailbreaking Could Crash Cellphone Towers, Apple Claims | Threat Level | Wired.com

I love this part:

Already, Google says it is readying a replacement for the Google Voice app that will offer exactly the same features as the rejected app--except that it will take the form of a specialized, iPhone-shaped Web page. For all intents and purposes, it will behave exactly the same as the app would have; you can even install it as an icon on your Home screen.
    Its pretty much Google saying "suck it Apple"
    Last edited by nyyankeefan1021; 08-06-09 at 07:03 PM.
    08-06-09 06:55 PM
    Isn't this what capitalism is about? Isn't a company allowed to carry or not carry a product that effects their bottom line? They are in the business of making money. It seems that isn't good in America anymore. Hey, the government should offer a cell phone plan!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-09 07:05 PM
    Hey, the government should offer a cell phone plan!
    Options -> Mobile Network -> Network Selection Mode -> ObamaWireless

It's in the manual....
    08-06-09 07:10 PM
    Isn't this what capitalism is about? Isn't a company allowed to carry or not carry a product that effects their bottom line? They are in the business of making money. It seems that isn't good in America anymore. Hey, the government should offer a cell phone plan!

They are, but customers should also be allowed to use the programs that they want to on the devices they own.

Yes, Apple is allowed to not carry the Google Voice app in their app store. But since they are the only way to download apps to the iPhone (without jailbreaking the phone), customers are going to be upset when they are not allowed to download something they want because it may hurt AT&T's bottom line.

In the case of the BlackBerry, because the phone is more open than the iPhone, if Verizon (or your carrier) decides not to offer an app, I can download it from CB's store, BB App World, etc.

Apple is under fire because it is so closed.
    08-06-09 07:38 PM
    How does this app affect Apple's bottom line?

Also, why should Apple (Apple, not AT&T) be able to block Google Voice but allow Skype?
    08-06-09 07:57 PM
    I like how this issue is posted in BLACKBERRY forums, not to mention the Tour forum and the issue has nothing to do with a blackberry at all...just saying...

08-06-09 08:09 PM
    You have a lot of people wanting to validate their purchase of a BB.
    08-06-09 08:39 PM
    Probably have a lot of people wanting to validate their purchase of an IPhone as well!
    08-06-09 08:40 PM
    Or you happen to have a lot of people who are interested in technology and follow this sort of thing.

I don't happen to be on an iPhone forum, because I don't have an iPhone. I have a Tour, so I'm on this forum. That doesn't mean I don't like talking about technology with other people who like it too.

I don't need to validate the purchase of my BB, I love my BB.

You being a troll makes me wonder what you need to validate though
    08-06-09 09:00 PM
    Or have a lot of Blackberry users who switched from the iPhone but still are interested with what's happening with the iPhone...ok maybe thats just me.
    08-06-09 10:36 PM
    well, as much as I love apple and the iPhone, ATT hasnt blocked this from BB phones no? So is it really apple or is it bc ATT has the exclusivity on the iPhone that they have the "power" to rid the App store of GV. I'm surprised VZW hasnt banned it, they are true phone nazis. I dont think Apple really cares about GV being on their app store imo, ATT is scared of profit loss, and bc they threw apple under the bus, i hope apple screws them over.
    08-06-09 11:15 PM
    so wait, Google voice still "calls" a "landline" somewhere to turn it into a VoIP call doesnt it?
    Or does it use the data lines from the phone and VoIP right there? I have google voice AND the BB app and I thought it just called a google number some where which them sent it along the internets to its final destination. If this is true, ATT would loose some - but its not like you can make FREE calls, it would still cost plan minutes (except on nights and weekends)
    Sounds like ATT got their panties in a bunch, made a rash counter decision, and now everyone is going to pointing their finger at them until they turn it around....

and did anyone else think while they were reading that "Boy, this sounds like a Verizon move..." :lol:
    08-07-09 08:27 AM
    Another story by technology 'expert' David Pogue. Seriously folks, this one has been making the rounds on all the tech blogs for the last few weeks. It is old news by now. Nobody wants to hear a rehash of it. ATT and iPhone are colluding to block revenue-reducing apps. Duh. People don't like it. Developers don't like it. The system is need of reform. People have been saying that basically ever since the App Store was released.
    08-07-09 11:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD