I currently own a Blackberry Storm and just bought a used 3G from my cousin. I would like to use it without activating a voice plan. I wanted to utilize it as an ipod and wasn't sure if I could use the wifi as well. Is there a way for me to do this? What steps would I take to use as an ipod and start adding songs? Is this a problem since it was registered to another person? Sorry if these are dumb questions, but know you guys are experts and any feedback would be great...Thanks!
    03-09-09 08:31 PM
    I know this is mainly Blackberry, but c'mon, many of us have more than 1 phone...HELP
    03-09-09 09:13 PM
    perhaps it's the obvious answer and wasn't a choice for you at the time, but maybe you should have looked into buying an ipod touch?

EDIT: you can use the wi-fi for free on the touch, don't need a voice plan or data plan as long as you can find an active wi-fi spot. this is a pretty good article in case you haven't seen it: Forget the iPhone--The iPod Touch is Good Enough - Lifehacker Australia

in other words, you might look to sell your iphone to an unhappy storm user (as there are plenty of them on this site) and buy one of these instead. if my ipod classic wasn't so new and they weren't so expensive, i probably would have already done so myself.

also, have you tried removing the sim card and seeing if it would still function?
    Last edited by dmahoney94; 03-09-09 at 10:25 PM.
    03-09-09 10:20 PM
    It depends on what he paid for that iPhone.

Also... you can use the wifi + browser and add music w/o a voice plan. You will need to jailbreak it first.

Here over here for more info:
    http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/02...guides-galore/
    03-10-09 12:44 AM
    If you want to use it as an iPod touch only jailbreak it. If you want jailbreaking tutorial, I have a thread here called : free apps: the full tutorial.

Once you jailbreak it, you have access to the phone without the need of a sim card.

Good luck.
    03-10-09 02:56 AM
    Great information guys. I landed this mint 3g for $125 off of a family member so figured I would try to make it work first. What a steal! I will have to look into jailbreaking in more depth. Once "jailbroken" I should be able to use it for wifi and add songs? Will I then be able to activate it one day if I wish? Thanks
    03-10-09 08:05 AM
    Great information guys. I landed this mint 3g for $125 off of a family member so figured I would try to make it work first. What a steal! I will have to look into jailbreaking in more depth. Once "jailbroken" I should be able to use it for wifi and add songs? Will I then be able to activate it one day if I wish? Thanks
    I figured it was a good deal.
    03-10-09 08:43 AM
    My iPhone will pick up my wifi without being activated. I should be able to connect to my itunes and add it as a device too right? I was told today that I should remove the SIM card first, does that sound right?
    03-10-09 05:16 PM
    That is a sweet deal!
    03-10-09 05:19 PM
    i couldnt pass it up!
    03-10-09 05:21 PM
    Since you are on Verizon, your iPhone will not work on that carrier unless you jailbreak it. You can find more information on the software to jailbreak here:

Dev-Team Blog

Otherwise, you can use your iPhone as an iPod, and yes, it will connect to your iTunes.
    03-10-09 05:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD