Sorry if this has been posted. I tried to search but didn't come up with anything. I'm looking to switch to an Iphone, but does anyone know if another new version of the phone will be released soon? Just would rather wait if something were to come again. If not, 3GS here I come

Thanks and sorry if this has been asked before
    10-27-09 09:50 PM
    I believe the next one wouldn't be announced / released until July/August 2010

Usually when they come out with the new and improved stuff and get rid of the old stock..

my 2 cents

What were you going to get in the meanwhile? Assuming you'd be waiting till the new one comes out?
    10-27-09 10:22 PM
    Next iPhone in 2010 at WWDC or whatever it's called.
    10-27-09 10:29 PM
    Thanks. I have a Storm right now and my contract is up. I've been waiting to get an Iphone for a yr and just didn't want to pay the ETF for breaking my contract
    10-27-09 10:32 PM
    Yeah, the new iphone won't be announced for another year or so and that's just the announcement. Who know when it will actually be released.
    10-28-09 04:51 AM
    Most likely grab the 3GS unless you want to wait another 6-8 months with what you currently have. Most of the time you can sell your iphone to cover most/all of the cost for the new one. For instance, it cost me 400 to get the 3GS. I sold my 3G for 375 unlocked. So it cost me 25 bucks to upgrade. iPhone continue to be a hot commodity. And next year people will still be buying the 3GS. So get one keep all original materials and keep it in great condition and you'll come out of pocket very little (if at all) to get the new one.
    10-28-09 01:01 PM
    u cant go wrong with a 3gs...as everyone stated a new one will come out, but thats always the case. I sya get the 3gs.
    10-29-09 12:16 PM
    what's interesting is that i'm a similar situation right now. i've actually been contemplating purchasing a used bold 1 online to hold me over until the new iphone drops. i suppose i could stick with my pearl, but who wants to do that?
    10-29-09 05:09 PM
    I went from BB to iPhone back to BB then back to iPhone. I had to break my agreement with my BB to go back iPhone and I gotta say I'm very happy. After four years of BB the iPhone made me realize there are much better phones out there.

In regards to the next iPhone, there seems to be a new one every year. So, coming next summer will probably have a new version...and it MAY be an iPhone on Verizon's 4G network -do a Google search on "Verizon 4G iPhone" and you'll see tons of articles on it.
    10-30-09 07:15 AM
    It's not going to be next year or the year after or even the year after that. Verizon is not going to get the iPhone even if people want VZW to have it. The way they keep bashing Apple, Apple will not take their business with someone like that.

People are wishing way too much, and rumors are just.... rumors. AT&T won't let the contract go, and certainly won't let VZW have it. VZW had their chance when all companies were bidding for the iPhone. They didn't want it in the beginning because they thought the iPhone wouldn't sell as much... Well guess what, Verizon.. it did and you lost =P

The reason behind that is the fact that Apple would have to change out their phones, re-do them and make them not only GSM, but CDMA. Too much work, for maybe a profit with vzw. Although people say "everyone left vzw for X company for iphone (AT&T or unlocked)... but there are other reasons people may have left VZW.

to OP: I would get the 3gs now, like everyone else has said. You'll enjoy it, I had my 3G for 1 year before changing to the 3GS which I did this past summer in July. I say get it and enjoy it. Cause you will
    10-30-09 07:28 AM
    It's not going to be next year or the year after or even the year after that. Verizon is not going to get the iPhone even if people want VZW to have it. The way they keep bashing Apple, Apple will not take their business with someone like that.

People are wishing way too much, and rumors are just.... rumors. AT&T won't let the contract go, and certainly won't let VZW have it. VZW had their chance when all companies were bidding for the iPhone. They didn't want it in the beginning because they thought the iPhone wouldn't sell as much... Well guess what, Verizon.. it did and you lost =P

The reason behind that is the fact that Apple would have to change out their phones, re-do them and make them not only GSM, but CDMA. Too much work, for maybe a profit with vzw. Although people say "everyone left vzw for X company for iphone (AT&T or unlocked)... but there are other reasons people may have left VZW.

to OP: I would get the 3gs now, like everyone else has said. You'll enjoy it, I had my 3G for 1 year before changing to the 3GS which I did this past summer in July. I say get it and enjoy it. Cause you will
    Its not to hard to change a phone from gsm to cdma, all you have to do is change the radio and fix a little bit of code.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-09 03:06 PM

I wouldn't be so sure about that... in AT&T's own recent 3rd Quarter 2009 Earnings Call with Analysts, AT&T's President and Chief Executive Officer of AT&T Mobility & Consumer Markets (Ralph De La Vega), already hinted that they may, in fact, lose exclusivity, but that even if they did, the iPhone would still operate fastest on AT&T's network. Here's a direct quote: "--keep in mind that even if we lose the iPhone exclusivity, we are probably going to be the only ones that have a speed of 7.2 that these phones can work on, so they will work on our network faster than on anybody elseís network."

Here's the full conference call transcript if anyone's interested: AT&T Q3 2009 Earnings Call Transcript -- Seeking Alpha

As others have said here, it isn't difficult to retool the iPhone to work on another network, just as how Blackberries are made for both AT&T and Verizon, an iPhone can be too. Will Verizon get the iPhone? Maybe, maybe not, but one thing is for certain, it can be done.
    10-30-09 03:33 PM
    Yea Apple to play nice with Apple bashers? NOT! Check out Palm and the Palm Pre to see what Apple does to those who do not bow down!
    For those who think that is an Motorola commercial.. WRONG.. VERIZON right at the end. There will be NO VZW iPhone.. period! VZW has burned it's bridges.. bring it on!

Apple will eventually purchase ATT with their trillion dollar daily net profit and improve that network.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 10-30-09 at 05:13 PM.
    10-30-09 05:11 PM
    probably, i use to be so in love with apple, and now they're just worse than microsoft, and even making crappier products than microsoft now too...
    10-30-09 05:30 PM
    I took the plunge and bought the phone today....so far so good
    10-30-09 05:41 PM
    Yea Apple to play nice with Apple bashers? NOT! Check out Palm and the Palm Pre to see what Apple does to those who do not bow down!
    For those who think that is an Motorola commercial.. WRONG.. VERIZON right at the end. There will be NO VZW iPhone.. period! VZW has burned it's bridges.. bring it on!

Apple will eventually purchase ATT with their trillion dollar daily net profit and improve that network.
    exactly who is bowing down to apple? apple has notoriously lost every tech dispute they've ever been involved in, most notably their claims of PPC being better than intel, and look at them now, all intel... google most certainly isn't bowing down to them and now apple has clearly been caught lying to the FCC. in fact NOBODY is bowing down to apple. they hurt themselves by not opening their OS to PC's openly, do you have any idea how many people easily install snowleopard on their netbooks with no need to hack anything, but apple refuses to sell a low priced notebook, verizon will get the iphone, just not in CDMA.
    10-30-09 05:44 PM
    It might be Verizon at the end of the commercial, but the phone is Motorola's and it most definitely is their commercial. This is their last chance at getting back in the game or else they are going to do a belly flop right on concrete. They are pulling out all stops to try to sell their new device and naturally they are targeting the biggest marketing fad that is currently available. Verizon is just the carrier that will be running it on their network. Just like in "there's a map for that" commercials. Those are Verizon commercials. They are totally putting down AT&T's coverage compared to theirs. There is an iPhone in the commercial but it is showing the audience that you might have the biggest and greatest thing at the moment, but the phone is only as good as the network it is on.

I work for a municipality, in a water department and Verizon and AT&T have been hard at work upgrading their new systems. The tech from AT&T actually told me that it is known internally that Apple dropped the ball by not sticking with Verizon and going to AT&T. It has been nothing but headaches and they should have let their guard down in the beginning and not had full control of the phone and everything that goes with it. That is no bull. Straight out of the horses mouth. Why do you think the CEO of AT&T is publicly coming out lately saying that their exclusivity will not last forever and AT&T will do just fine without the iPhone. He is crapping his pants and it is a strategy to ease customers.

Verizon hands down has the best network. I had them for 7 years and recently switched to the dark side to make my wife happy with her iphone. I never once dropped a call or did not have enough bars to surf the web. Verizon also bought the most rights to the LTE network by far. Once again, their new network will be just as dominant as their current. They are hard at work upgrading as we speak. I see it first hand everytime we have to turn off security to the water tower to let them in.

In the end, Apple sees the reports every year. Verizon is top dog in just about every category. Apple knows they can blow the doors of their offices in Cali with the amount of profit they can make by bringing the iPhone to Big Red. There will be a truce and the new and improved iPhone 4g will be on Verizon's new LTE network by Christmas of 2010. Mark my words.
    10-30-09 07:43 PM

I agree, but I wouldnt go that far.

The Pre situation is just sad that Palm has to spoof an ipod USB ID. If you spoof someone's personal info in real life are you not committing some crime? (ID theft or fraud). Not to say its a crime to, but its ridiculous to cheer Palm to commit such antics

And yes, the people saying "oh it was Google and Moto" and just naive VZW hopefuls. Anyone who thinks VZW was in the dark to these commercials for a phone its pushing hard are the naive ones.
    10-30-09 07:58 PM
    verizon couldn't have launched the iphone, they simply don't have the means/resources/network to do it, not with CDMA not at the time of launch, this is why there isn't and never will be a CDMA iphone i had verizon for 7 years, i'll never go back to them, worst cell company currently operating...
    10-30-09 08:26 PM
    I took the plunge and bought the phone today....so far so good
    You will be happy with your new device. The iPhone experience is amazing.
    10-31-09 06:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD