As much as Engadget bashes the PB, here is something they just posted about the iPad

New iPad gets benchmarked: 1GB RAM confirmed, no boost in CPU speed -- Engadget

Not only did some lucky gents in Vietnam get their hands on the new iPad while most people are still refreshing their delivery status page, they were also kind enough to run some benchmark tests. The results confirm that the RAM has been upped to 1GB, with the Geekbench score settling at 756. The processor remains at 1GHz, again, which is what we expected, but puts the kibosh on any speculation that there might have been a slight bump in clock speeds. If you want to see the full breakdown, hit the source for the goods.

So, again, just a slight improvement and the iPadS gets probably 5 million sales first week. lol. So sad how misinformed people are.

This also means that if the PB does get a 1.5ghz update it will be faster and have the same RAM as the NEW ipad!!!

RIM should jump all over this!
    03-13-12 10:11 AM
    Didnt the CPU go from dual to quad core, and an increase in RAM? Just testing clock speed doesnt really do anything.
    03-13-12 10:18 AM
    i dont think clock speed indicate how good a device is, as long as the clock speed is sufficient. However, i do feel the new ipad is quite uncessasry because from what i know ipad 2 can do pretty much all of the things the new ipad can. The only new thing the new ipad got is a better screen and more RAM. If you want to play light games/movies/word editing and doesnt want something too heavy, why dont you get a ultrabook, the price of ipad if close to ultrabooks, and ultrabooks have way more advantages. ipad has been turned into nothing but a milk cow for apple

P.S the CPU is still dual core, the GPU is quad core though

if you want something like an ipad, wait for Intel's ivy bridge to come out. It will have the new intel HD 4000 GPU, which is a huge step forward from the 3000 in sandy bridge. It will VASTLY outperform ipad and probably easier to use at similar price points
    Last edited by Silverfern; 03-13-12 at 10:29 AM.
    FSeverino, yauchunh and pkcable like this.
    03-13-12 10:24 AM
    no the CPU is the same speed but the GPU is quad core.
    ram went to 1GB, but playbook already has that...
    03-13-12 10:24 AM
    None of which speaks to performance efficiency. There is not a device on the market, regardless of specs, that performs more smoothly than an iPad. Android tabs have higher specs because they NEED higher specs. Windows? Give me a break. But if it makes you feel better thinking the iPad is lacking in performance, enjoy the fantasy.
    pilsbury likes this.
    03-13-12 10:38 AM
    i dont think clock speed indicate how good a device is, as long as the clock speed is sufficient. However, i do feel the new ipad is quite uncessasry because from what i know ipad 2 can do pretty much all of the things the new ipad can. The only new thing the new ipad got is a better screen and more RAM. If you want to play light games/movies/word editing and doesnt want something too heavy, why dont you get a ultrabook, the price of ipad if close to ultrabooks, and ultrabooks have way more advantages. ipad has been turned into nothing but a milk cow for apple

P.S the CPU is still dual core, the GPU is quad core though

if you want something like an ipad, wait for Intel's ivy bridge to come out. It will have the new intel HD 4000 GPU, which is a huge step forward from the 3000 in sandy bridge. It will VASTLY outperform ipad and probably easier to use at similar price points
    Ah thank you. Then yes, this will not affect performance as much as the RAM (not even close) and the GPU will definitely help graphics rendering (though not sure its linear since it has to push more pixels via larger resolution)
    03-13-12 10:41 AM
    Didnt the CPU go from dual to quad core, and an increase in RAM? Just testing clock speed doesnt really do anything.
    no...
    its a dua core cpu..quad core gpu.

and they did incraese the ram....to 1gb.

the playbook always had more ram than ipad2.
    03-13-12 10:43 AM
    What were we saying when RIM used the same 624mhz processor for almost 3 years straight in their smartphones?
    03-13-12 10:46 AM
    What were we saying when RIM used the same 624mhz processor for almost 3 years straight in their smartphones?
    phones are different then tablets...
    03-13-12 10:49 AM
    Yes, for sure they're different, but they are both mobile devices that follow similar evolutionary paths, and often times share mobile OSs and have similar components in them.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here...as much as some of us may like to jump on every little thing Apple does or doesn't do, it's not like what they've done here with the CPU is something unique.
    03-13-12 12:18 PM
    So, again, just a slight improvement and the iPadS gets probably 5 million sales first week. lol. So sad how misinformed people are.

To look at satisfaction with a product, look at the return rates. These "misinformed" people are pretty happy with their product.

People don't care about not upgrading one of the internals. They care about the best screen, the best app selection, etc..

If you want to look at which customers are the most satisfied with their product, compare the return rates of the PlayBook and the iPad. Spoiler alert, it's not even close.
    03-13-12 12:18 PM
    To look at satisfaction with a product, look at the return rates. These "misinformed" people are pretty happy with their product.

People don't care about not upgrading one of the internals. They care about the best screen, the best app selection, etc..

If you want to look at which customers are the most satisfied with their product, compare the return rates of the PlayBook and the iPad. Spoiler alert, it's not even close.
    Why would they NOT be happy with them if they dont know what else is out there... which also plays the other way with people buying a playbook and not seeing AAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSS everywhere and returning it because it isnt an ipad.

Im sorry, I LOVE my iphone and i wold not be caught dead with a BB phone from 2 years ago. But the newest touch screen one is very appealing and the playbook is just as productive (if not more) and just as reliable as the ipad.

Did people return the PB? Yes! No one is arguing that. All i am saying is that many of those people were misinformed from the start and that is something that RIM has to work on, as well as all the people in charge of the media. I understand that writing an ipad article will get you more hits then a whack a mole game... but if you are a true journalist and investigator then your job/responsibility is NOT to be popular but to be HONEST. Yes most of these blog sites have different standards and all, but in the real world they are not helping anyone because all they are doing is lying and misinforming the public.

To say that the PB should be brought down to $99 is an absolute joke. It is one of the most powerful devices on the market and because it doesnt have an apple on the back it doesnt get press, and because it doesnt get press it should not be worth anything more then $100!!! An HDMI adapter (because it doesnt have this built in) for the iPad is $40 and then you still need to buy a wire... so are you saying the PB is worth the same as 2 HDMI adapters... really? Or are you saying the PB is worth $60 since there is the HDMI playback capability that ipad owners are fine with spending $40 to get? ... do you see the point of being informed?
    03-13-12 01:03 PM
    Why would they NOT be happy with them if they dont know what else is out there... which also plays the other way with people buying a playbook and not seeing AAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSS everywhere and returning it because it isnt an ipad.

Im sorry, I LOVE my iphone and i wold not be caught dead with a BB phone from 2 years ago. But the newest touch screen one is very appealing and the playbook is just as productive (if not more) and just as reliable as the ipad.

Did people return the PB? Yes! No one is arguing that. All i am saying is that many of those people were misinformed from the start and that is something that RIM has to work on, as well as all the people in charge of the media. I understand that writing an ipad article will get you more hits then a whack a mole game... but if you are a true journalist and investigator then your job/responsibility is NOT to be popular but to be HONEST. Yes most of these blog sites have different standards and all, but in the real world they are not helping anyone because all they are doing is lying and misinforming the public.

To say that the PB should be brought down to $99 is an absolute joke. It is one of the most powerful devices on the market and because it doesnt have an apple on the back it doesnt get press, and because it doesnt get press it should not be worth anything more then $100!!! An HDMI adapter (because it doesnt have this built in) for the iPad is $40 and then you still need to buy a wire... so are you saying the PB is worth the same as 2 HDMI adapters... really? Or are you saying the PB is worth $60 since there is the HDMI playback capability that ipad owners are fine with spending $40 to get? ... do you see the point of being informed?
    This is somewhat of a revisionist's view on what happened. The PB faltered because of several reasons that have been discussed here ad-nauseum. But if you'd rather blame the media and your interpretation of 'dumb' consumers, have at it.

I actually think the PB 1 will drop to about $99 at some point. Particularly when the the next model launches. That is, if they still have overstock that distributors need to clear out.
    03-13-12 01:33 PM
    Same old processor? What was wrong with it?
    03-13-12 02:05 PM
    If someone is happy with them, what's the problem?

The PlayBook didn't have email for OVER 10 MONTHS. For the majority of tablet buyers, that alone turned them off.

Productive for who? You? Ok, so maybe the PlayBook is better suited for you, but you are not the general joe public consumer.

Did people return the PB? Yes! No one is arguing that. All i am saying is that many of those people were misinformed from the start and that is something that RIM has to work on, as well as all the people in charge of the media.
    Did you ever think people returned the PB because it lacked email, 3G, autocorrect, apps, etc?

It wasn't a matter of being misinformed, it was a matter of nonfunctionality. How else would you explain the high return rates in comparison to the iPad?

Look, some people want to buy something that works right now. They don't care about promises, release dates, etc. Knowing RIM's history, can they be blamed?

If people are happy with the iPad, let them be. No reason to say, "They upgraded the screen to the new benchmark of the market, added 4G LTE functionality, created the best tablet battery on the market. No wait, the CPU didn't change!!! Can you believe it? It's a failure"
    03-13-12 02:59 PM
    Can't we have a simple discussion about the refresh/refurb that is the iPad3 and not have it turn into a PlayBook discussion?
    03-13-12 03:47 PM
    Ahh, so only the misinformed will buy them. That'll be 20,000,000 misinformed in the 1st full quarter then. Shame people don't really care about specs as much as the "competition" would like them too.

As much as Engadget bashes the PB, here is something they just posted about the iPad

New iPad gets benchmarked: 1GB RAM confirmed, no boost in CPU speed -- Engadget

Not only did some lucky gents in Vietnam get their hands on the new iPad while most people are still refreshing their delivery status page, they were also kind enough to run some benchmark tests. The results confirm that the RAM has been upped to 1GB, with the Geekbench score settling at 756. The processor remains at 1GHz, again, which is what we expected, but puts the kibosh on any speculation that there might have been a slight bump in clock speeds. If you want to see the full breakdown, hit the source for the goods.

This also means that if the PB does get a 1.5ghz update it will be faster and have the same RAM as the NEW ipad!!!

RIM should jump all over this!
    03-13-12 08:28 PM
    If someone is happy with them, what's the problem?

The PlayBook didn't have email for OVER 10 MONTHS. For the majority of tablet buyers, that alone turned them off.

this is what i mean. IT DID HAVE EMAIL. Just not an EMAIL APP. DO LAPTOPS HAVE EMAIL APPS??? NO, SO WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?

Productive for who? You? Ok, so maybe the PlayBook is better suited for you, but you are not the general joe public consumer.

Did you ever think people returned the PB because it lacked email, 3G, autocorrect, apps, etc?

If people returned it bc it did not have 3g that means they were misinformed... like i said

It wasn't a matter of being misinformed, it was a matter of nonfunctionality. How else would you explain the high return rates in comparison to the iPad?
    Read above

Look, some people want to buy something that works right now. They don't care about promises, release dates, etc. Knowing RIM's history, can they be blamed?
    agreed 100%

If people are happy with the iPad, let them be. No reason to say, "They upgraded the screen to the new benchmark of the market, added 4G LTE functionality, created the best tablet battery on the market. No wait, the CPU didn't change!!! Can you believe it? It's a failure"
    I am fine with people being happy with the ipad, just not when they say the PB sucks bc it isnt the ipad. as for all those advancements, i have already stated many times that they are good upgrade.
    Just to let you know, another post from engadget:

Apple's Sir Jonathan Ive: our competitors have 'completely the wrong goals' -- Engadget :

London's favorite only remaining evening free-sheet has snagged an interview with Apple design maven Sir Jonathan Ive. In the piece he talks about being thrilled and humbled by his recent Knighthood, the importance of his London upbringing and why Apple's competitors can't win. Pointing to a desire not to make "genuinely better" products, Cupertino's unnamed rivals instead are "interested in doing something different, or want to appear new," which he says is the wrong goal. The difference is that he and his team aren't tied to a price, a schedule or a marketing scheme -- which he believes "have scant regard for people who use the product." There's also a barbed reference to consumers being able to sense "great care in the design and when there is cynicism and greed" in products on the market. Head on down to the source link to read more, including his frustration with designers who "wag their tails in his face" -- who knew designers had tails, eh?
    See what i mean? This guy says other companies dont want to make their products 'genuinely better'... yet his company is known for making slight advancements (iphone4s and new ipad to name the recent) and do crazy marketing and advertising campains to show just how amazing the few changes they made are.

O wait... his company doesnt hold him to a marketing scheme or a schedule (i guess releasing a new device ever 11-13 months since inception isnt considered a schedule) and the price is not 'tied' in to the device... yet the biggest sale the ipad has is $50 ...

Do you see what i mean??? If this was another guy from another company saying this people would jump all over it, but someone from apple says this and its a this guy is awesome bc he rocks and is so cool.

... again, honestly, not trying to rant or bash but we, as consumers, have to be active in the buying process. dont just buy something because someone say OTHER people arent making good devices. There is so many contradictions in ONE paragraph from this guy and the reality. Yes the apple devices are top notch, but to say that other people are not trying to make better devices when the PB had more RAM and the same processor speed a year before the device your company just released is pretty ignorant, if you dont agree with that then you have to at least agree with the fact that the ipad2 camera was NOT 'genuinely' as good as it could have been, and the front camera is still not 'genuinely better' then most out there. Further, to say that there is no price range or marketing is crazy talk, and as for NO SCHEDULE:

Release dates for iPad:

Wi-Fi model (U.S.): April 3, 2010[2][3]
    Wi-Fi + 3G Model (U.S.): April 30, 2010[4]
    International: May 28, 2010[5]
    iPad 2 (U.S.): March 11, 2011[6]
    iPad 2 (International): March 25, 2011
    3rd gen (U.S.): March 16, 2012
    ... i think releasing a 'new' device 370 days after the previous is considered a 'schedule'

Release dates for iPhone:
    OG - June 29 2007
    3G - July 11 2008
    3GS - June 19 2009
    4 - July 2010
    4S - October 2011

Seems like ipads get released early April to Early March and iPhones are summer releases... almost like A SCHEDULE, but not really because apple doesnt use schedules.
    Last edited by FSeverino; 03-14-12 at 10:25 AM.
    03-14-12 10:20 AM
    "Did you ever think people returned the PB because it lacked email, 3G, autocorrect, apps, etc?

If people returned it bc it did not have 3g that means they were misinformed... like i said"

Misinformed or mislead?

When the app store first launched for the Playbook, back in April, the public was told 3,000 apps would be available. It was not even close to that.

Native email, calendar and contacts were said to be delivered within 60 days of launch. They missed that target by over 8 months.

So maybe they were misinformed, or mislead, and that explains the high return rate. Maybe they didn't like it. Either way, people didn't dismiss the PlayBook because it wasn't an iPad, they dismissed it because it didn't suit their needs. Promising features that are delayed by 8 months certainly didn't help change their minds.
    03-14-12 10:34 AM
    "Did you ever think people returned the PB because it lacked email, 3G, autocorrect, apps, etc?

If people returned it bc it did not have 3g that means they were misinformed... like i said"

Misinformed or mislead?

When the app store first launched for the Playbook, back in April, the public was told 3,000 apps would be available. It was not even close to that.

Native email, calendar and contacts were said to be delivered within 60 days of launch. They missed that target by over 8 months.

So maybe they were misinformed, or mislead, and that explains the high return rate. Maybe they didn't like it. Either way, people didn't dismiss the PlayBook because it wasn't an iPad, they dismissed it because it didn't suit their needs. Promising features that are delayed by 8 months certainly didn't help change their minds.
    it is actually two different things.

Not having email or 3G are very different then not having apps. I agree RIM dropped the ball on apps and native email/calendar... but to say the deviced DOES NOT have email or 3G is different because IT DID have email and 3G was NEVER mentioned...

I dont buy a car and then return it because it isnt electric... that is something i look at BEFORE i buy it. However, if i pay for a automatic windows and a cd player and they give me only the automatic windows then that is something different (ie like with the lack of apps after promising more)
    03-14-12 10:58 AM
    it is actually two different things.

Not having email or 3G are very different then not having apps. I agree RIM dropped the ball on apps and native email/calendar... but to say the deviced DOES NOT have email or 3G is different because IT DID have email and 3G was NEVER mentioned...

I dont buy a car and then return it because it isnt electric... that is something i look at BEFORE i buy it. However, if i pay for a automatic windows and a cd player and they give me only the automatic windows then that is something different (ie like with the lack of apps after promising more)
    The 3G was listed as an example of a feature it lacks compared to the competition. I didn't mean for it to be implied as a customer actually bought it thinking it could be connected while roaming.

Yes, it did have email, but you didn't recieve notifications when you get it. You were forced to sit there and keep refreshing the page if you wanted to recieve new emails. Some would consider this troublesome, in comparison, where most other tablets included that feature natively.

I do think that the lack of apps was the primary reason for the returns.
    03-14-12 11:06 AM
    The 3G was listed as an example of a feature it lacks compared to the competition. I didn't mean for it to be implied as a customer actually bought it thinking it could be connected while roaming.

Agreed. but if the customer did their duty they wold know that it was NEVER said to be 3G. So, agian, that goes with what i was saying

Yes, it did have email, but you didn't recieve notifications when you get it. You were forced to sit there and keep refreshing the page if you wanted to recieve new emails. Some would consider this troublesome, in comparison, where most other tablets included that feature natively.
    So, like a laptop and desktop... which people dont complain about... Again, they said this would be there and it wasnt, but that doesnt mean THERE WAS NO ACCESS to email. I saved gmail to my faves and within two clicks i was in my inbox, in the native email client when i get a notification i have to click it once. So really all that is changed is that it tells me when to click, and i save ONE click. If that is a major turn off for people then that is only because they have become spoiled into being spoon fed (including by RIM)

I do think that the lack of apps was the primary reason for the returns.
    agreed 100%
    Thanks for being civil in this debate.
    03-14-12 01:18 PM
    We we're saying "damn...these Blackberries are slow".

No one is saying that about the iPad.
    03-14-12 01:50 PM
    We we're saying "damn...these Blackberries are slow".

No one is saying that about the iPad.
    this is very true but i dont want to bring it up bc the iFans area already saying that it is impossible to compare the ipad with the PB... but they brought up the phones, lol.

People are funny.
    03-14-12 01:57 PM
    this is very true but i dont want to bring it up bc the iFans area already saying that it is impossible to compare the ipad with the PB... but they brought up the phones, lol.

People are funny.
    Why is it impossible to compare the two? It's actually pretty easy. One sells, one doesn't. One has apps, one doesn't. One is useful, one isn't. You pick which.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    03-14-12 07:41 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD