Greetings and salutations.
    My mom has a white iphone 4 purchased in like June and still is befuddled at times with it. She's 67, lives far away and I'm a slave to my berry so I'm no help. Wanted to get her an Iphone 4 for Dummies but they don't actually have one that I can see for Iphone 4. There was one released in Sept/10 that says it included Iphone 4 but comments left by those who bought the book suggest otherwise.
    Can anyone recommend a simple guide, and I mean extremely simple, that I can buy mom for Chrismas? Though she did manage to upgrade to the recent IOS 5 I believe I just know she isn't getting anything near what she should out of the phone.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    12-05-11 09:58 AM
    12-05-11 10:25 AM
    This is always problematic, for in many cases, by the time a publisher has released a book, either the product or the OS has changed.

Prime example is your mom's iPhone 4 - do you get a book for the 4, or one for the 4S (to keep up with the iOS), firm in the knowledge there are features the 4 can't take advantage of and that could confuse?

I've always been a fan of the 'Missing Manual' books, though I'm not sure what the most applicable would be here. Then again, there's a number of magazine-style manuals out there (and usually found in the magazines section) that tend to be more graphically simple with less (boring, techie) talk.
    voltaire likes this.
    12-05-11 02:54 PM
    This is always problematic, for in many cases, by the time a publisher has released a book, either the product or the OS has changed.

Prime example is your mom's iPhone 4 - do you get a book for the 4, or one for the 4S (to keep up with the iOS), firm in the knowledge there are features the 4 can't take advantage of and that could confuse?

I've always been a fan of the 'Missing Manual' books, though I'm not sure what the most applicable would be here. Then again, there's a number of magazine-style manuals out there (and usually found in the magazines section) that tend to be more graphically simple with less (boring, techie) talk.

the potential problems you describe are the ones I worry about. Was actually in the grocery store which has a good magazine section but nothing on the Iphone. Will check the mag section of our local big bookstore chain.
    Thank you kindly for the advice.
    12-05-11 07:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD