To me I have the Storm and my daughters mom had the iphone 3g (till she switched to VZW and got the Tour) and before I made my decision on the IPHONE and AT&T, VZW with The Storm, or sticking with T-Mobile and getting the G1 I got a chance to learn about each one of the phones. I use to play with the IPHONE for hours and hours and it wasn't a horrible phone but typing on it was a nightmare !!! I wear a 4XL football glove and my hands are somewhat thick LOL. I don't know how the 3gs is but the 3g use to freeze a lot and trust me I spent hours trying to find ways to type but still had issues. The Storm in my opinion I liked better than the 3g and a big reason why was because it took me less than an hour to understand the phone and to type extremely fast. The only problem with the Storm is the memory leakage but other than that I love it. The G1 to me wasn't bad but the screen wasn't sharp and T-Mobile is pretty crappy. Has anyone played with the Palm Pre because that phone is bad *** and if it was with VZW (rumor has it dec for vzw) and I might have gotten that. When I made my decision after playing with the iphone for 7 months, playing with G1 and Storm for a few days I decided Storm was more for me. It was easier to text with and I just fell in love with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by SeanT316; 08-26-09 at 11:50 PM.
    08-26-09 11:39 PM
    Palm pre is such a little phone for such a big hand.
    08-26-09 11:44 PM
    Why is there an iPhone discussion forum on "Crackberry".com I am not trying to belittle the iPhone, it just seems weird.
    I think a lot of the contributors on this forum use both a Berry and an iPhone. One device maybe a lot more than the other. There is also an "other device" forum on the iPhone Blog...

08-26-09 11:50 PM
    Palm pre is such a little phone for such a big hand.
    It definitely is LOL !!! I just like how it multi tasks and its just a sick device !!! If that phone was iphone size that might have been the winner!!!

08-26-09 11:53 PM
    In my humble opinion, there is nothing to compare. The tour has a function 1/2 screen 1/2 qwerty. If you need tactile support, the tour. As far as the two touch screen phones, there is something to compare for sure. I would recommend you wait a month or two for a stormy2, so at least the generation comparisons will be reduced to within 1 gen. (3rd apple/storm2) With the latest iphone, apple included allot of features the storm has always had. That said, the iphone is Apple. Some are in to that while others wont dare go for it (even for the apps) The main reason (from research) is Apple has made the cost of doing business with them really high. All those poor iphone 1 and 2 users didn't even get a landscape keyboard. I won't buy Apple because they digitally administrate anything you buy from them including music and the iphone. I mean come on, 5 computers and I can no longer use my itunes library on another? This is the biggest reason people avoid Apple. You can get quality computes phones and music (DRM Free, at a better bit rate) by passing up on the apple pig. Hey, in the process you can save enough money to go to France, Italy, Spain, and Greece! So if what I said bothers you, hey, that's OK. Apple is the only company I know of that can charge 250.00 for an ipod and include 50 cent ear buds. (I know because I forked over the dough) I wish I went with the zune, at least I would have been the administrator in my music library! I am so thankful my main library, old reliable WMP, and that I chose the storm.
    Last edited by johnly; 08-27-09 at 12:04 AM.
    08-27-09 12:02 AM
    the best solution is to have one bb for business and one iphone for fun/gym session :P thats what I am doing at the moment :P
    08-27-09 02:12 AM
    I hate all of the little iPhone users taking up space in the gym with their head to toe matching nike outfits and armband all to lift pitiful amounts of weight. Fun maybe.... but keep the iPhone out of the weight room.
    08-27-09 12:04 PM
    I hate all of the little iPhone users taking up space in the gym with their head to toe matching nike outfits and armband all to lift pitiful amounts of weight. Fun maybe.... but keep the iPhone out of the weight room.
    Lol because the BB is better for the gym right? What do you go to the bench and leave your suit jacket on?

08-27-09 01:19 PM
    the best solution is to have one bb for business and one iphone for fun/gym session :P thats what I am doing at the moment :P
    I also have the IPhone for fun and use my bb bold for business.
    08-27-09 01:22 PM
    You know, it's very hard for me to make a fair comparison with the iPhone and blackberry. My only experience with a blackberry is a storm and I'd hate to judge all blackberry devices based on the storm. I'm sure with due time the storm will be a great device but right now, in my opinion, it's not even on the same playing field. However, I do think a users experience with each device will differ based on their individual needs and wants. For me, I can't believe I waited so long to purchase the iPhone. It's exactly the device I have been wanting and hoping I would get with my previous phones the dare and storm. The alleged prelaunch iPhone killers...lol

Last edited by Mattsworld; 08-27-09 at 05:40 PM.
    08-27-09 05:38 PM
    Exactly, same here. Use my 8900 most of the time but have my iPhone for serious fun.
    08-29-09 07:33 AM
    Exactly, same here. Use my 8900 most of the time but have my iPhone for serious fun.
    Why in the world do you have an iPhone then? Just get a Touch. You're paying monthly for a data plan, and you think the iPhone is a toy. People waste money way too much in this world!
    08-29-09 02:02 PM
    With all the talk of multitasking on the iPhone, are you able to listen to music and still do things like surf the web and send text messages?
    08-29-09 04:18 PM
    With all the talk of multitasking on the iPhone, are you able to listen to music and still do things like surf the web and send text messages?
    You can only listen to music if you are using the iPod feature and text message, write an e-mail, browse web, etc.. . If you were using an app for music (say Pandora, iheartradio, etc..) you can't.
    08-29-09 04:31 PM
    You can only listen to music if you are using the iPod feature and text message, write an e-mail, browse web, etc.. . If you were using an app for music (say Pandora, iheartradio, etc..) you can't.
    Unless you jailbreak and use backgrounder like I do. I don't stream though.
    08-29-09 04:33 PM
    I just got a 32g iPhone 3gs as a gift, so I can finally see what all the hype is about, and I want to offer an honest unbiased comparison for anyone debating on wich phone to get.

My devices are 32g 3gs, 3.0 software, BB Storm on 4.7.0.148, and BB Tour on 4.7.1.40 OS.

The first thing I notice is the physical weight of the devices, the iphone is heavier than the BBs. I'm sitting here, tour in one hand, 3gs in the other, storm on the table.

The iphone seems more solid because it literally is, one button, no battery door. Whereas the BBs have several buttons, removeable battery doors/battery/storage.

Now on to the important stuff, the OS.

The iphone works well, but lacks so many features of the blackberrys. Multitasking mainly, and the BB OS seems more user friendly and productively organized. And both my berrys run at the same speed as the iphone as I'm loading websites and flicking thru pictures.

The iphone OS seems more stable, as I have yet to have a reboot in the 2 weeks I've had it.
    One clear advantage I see to the iphone is the app store any the myriad of programs that come with it. The wifi helps too but is not a major concern as I have excellent signal in my area.

One severe drawback for me is the camera. I often use my phone to take pictures and the BB cameras are no contest superior to the iphones.

The iphone has a lot of neat features, fick scroll, pinch zooming, more apps than you'll ever need. But its lacking simple things that give blackberry the edge.

Simple shortcuts: on both my BBs, on the keyboard there are several shortcuts to make navigation of apps/websites easier, such as "b" to go to the bottom of the page, "u" for the first unread message in the list, "r" to reply to selected message, and plenty more. Even on the storm with its touch screen these are available, whereas the iphone doesn't have any.

Camera as I said before, the iphone is seriously lacking in this aspect.

Multitasking: probably my biggest problem with the iphone. I can't stand not being able to switch apps on the fly without having to close the ones I'm using.

Typing: I am horrible at typing on the iphone, maybe I need more practice, but I am much faster and proficient on my BBs

Now for some advantages of the iphone.

Most noticeable, the screen. Its gorgeous, brilliant display, super responsive. All around great.

The app store. No contest the iphone has more to do than a blackberry lol, I have spent hours browsing apps and games and haven't even cracked the surface.

The UI. Yes the BB works great and looks good, but the iphone looks better. Smooth transitions, and simple animations you wouldn't really pay attention to but they add a certain something to the UI of the iphone.

IPod. The main feature, works great, looks great. Everyone needs an ipod lol. The only gripe I have is that on my BB I can skip songs without taking out the phone and unlocking it and ipening the media player, is there a way to do that on the iphone I'm missing?

At the end of the day, my BB comes out on top for me. Its just a more refined device with years and years of development under it. But the iPhone is by no means bad, its an excellent phone! I simply prefer my BB. But I'm definitely keeping my iPhone! And when it comes down to it that's what its about, what you prefer. Play with both, decide what you like. I hope my comparison helped someone!

I could go on all day about the differences/advantages of the phones, but my thumbs are tired. I typed this whole thing on my Tour lol.

I have a few questions about the iphone that no one ever answers.
    How is the email? Do you see all of the images in html email like you would on your desktop?

If the iphone doesn't multitask, then how does it handle interruptions while you are in an application? If you were using the GPS and someone called, what would happen?

If the iphone stalls and you can't do a battery pull, what do you do?

Can you download movies and music directly to the iphone without having to sync it with itunes?

Is there OTA upgrading?

08-29-09 04:48 PM
    The email is pheonmenal. Now it's not push unless its Yahoo or MobileMe and even then it's unreliable. There are times when I open the mail app just to see and it will retrieve like 2-3 messages that were there for like an hour or more and didn't come through. The e-mails are great though when you do get them.

If you get a call in the middle of a song on the iPod, it picks up right where it left off 3-5 secs after you end the call. If it interrupts an application, it depends on the application. AT&T nav made me restart. I am not sure what happens on the other ones.

To do to hard reset, you have to hold the power button and the home button at the same time for 10 seconds or until the apple symbol appears on the screen.

No OTA upgrading. Only through iTunes.

I have a few questions about the iphone that no one ever answers.
    How is the email? Do you see all of the images in html email like you would on your desktop?

If the iphone doesn't multitask, then how does it handle interruptions while you are in an application? If you were using the GPS and someone called, what would happen?

If the iphone stalls and you can't do a battery pull, what do you do?

Can you download movies and music directly to the iphone without having to sync it with itunes?

Is there OTA upgrading?

08-29-09 11:16 PM
    Unless you jailbreak and use backgrounder like I do. I don't stream though.
    I don't jailbreak. I am not comfortable doing that. I don't even like unlocked phones.
    08-29-09 11:18 PM
    I have a Blackberry Bold.. and when that started malfunctioning, I thought I would give the iPhone a try, so I bought a 3GS 32 GB.

Based on my experience so far, here are the features I love about the 3GS, and the features which make me miss my Bold:

Features in favor of the 3GS:
    -Great resale value (especially if jailbroken and unlocked)
    -The browser on the iPhone is far better than the the blackberry brower
    -Better apps availability, and they are generally better looking than their blackberry counterparts
    -the 3.2MP camera on the 3GS (w/out flash) is better than the 2.0MP w/flash camera on the Bold
    -32GB is plenty of memory, and you have the entire memory space for storing apps (vs. 128MB on Bold.. cannot store apps on Built in 1GB flash or on microSD).
    -Generally, there are more accessories out there for the iPhone 3G/3Gs than the Blackberry 9000, due to it being more widely used.
    -The phone itself seems physically more solid (no battery door, only 1 button, etc).

Drawbacks with the 3GS, as compared to the bold:
    -Battery life is horrible on the iPhone (I find this to be the biggest drawback).
    -Touch screen typing doesn't nearly have the feel of a physical keyboard (this is more of a preference).
    -Cannot multi-task apps
    -Very limited capability when changing settings and options
    -Lack of phone profiles (i.e. Loud, Meeting, Normal, Quiet, etc..)
    -Bluetooth is not nearly as robust as that of the Bold
    -Need to jailbreak phone in order to make phone more "versatile" (i.e. unlock, obtain apps from outside of Apple's app store, etc).
    -At the current time, at&t does not allow MMS or tethering on the iPhone.
    -lack of a menu-based interface can limit capability

If you need something for corporate use, or if you travel alot, I would definitely stick with a blackberry. Even the Bold w/3G has excellent battery life when compared to the iPhone.

If you want a personal phone that's fun to use, the iPhone is excellent, as long as you watch your battery life.
    08-30-09 02:09 AM
    Just to add one more item:
    -If my Bold had a better browser and better apps out there for it, then I would've never bought the iPhone 3GS, I would've bought another Bold instead.
    08-30-09 02:16 AM
    Why in the world do you have an iPhone then? Just get a Touch. You're paying monthly for a data plan, and you think the iPhone is a toy. People waste money way too much in this world!
    I already owned an iPhone 3G before I bought my BB, so why would I "waste" money buying a Touch. I use the iPhone on wifi for data when I want, have all it's apps available to me, and carry around my 8900 most of the time. What's wrong with that??
    08-30-09 08:10 AM
    I also have both the BB Bold and recently purchase the IPhone as my personal device. Even though the Iphone has some shortcomings I still like it and will never get rid of my BB. :-)
    08-30-09 08:46 AM
    I was intent on purchasing an original iPhone as my first smartphone, but was disappointed after trying out an 8310 Curve which became my 1st smartphone.
    The iPhone seemed too much like a glorified iPod rather than a communication machine.
    At upgrade time, I decided to try an iPhone 3Gs, but was still disappointed with it & went with a new BOLD.
    I couldn't be happier, I have a 5g iPod to haul my media library, but have been leaving it at home more & more, since I've had my BOLD.(Great speakers)
    I guess it is a matter of taste, but as much as I love my Macs (Mine is an all-Mac home), I still haven't been impressed with the iPhone. It seems more like a Gameboy phone to me, and I just don't play that many games.
    I prefer a great communication device & my crackberry BOLD is it for me.

09-07-09 07:04 PM
    Having owned both the iphone and storm, I personally preferred the iphone 3Gs. But it really is a matter of taste. My storm was my first smartphone. I enjoyed owning a blackberry and wished the storm was a better phone. Not that the storm was a terrible phone but it didn't work for me. My biggest issues were the signal strength. Having been with Verizon for 6 plus years, before the storm, I never dropped a single call. With the storm, I constantly dropped calls and the phone would break up during calls. Add that on top of a slow download speed of 300-400 kbps download and the memory leaks it really wasn't the phone for me. Wifi could have helped with the download speed.

If the storm 2 fixes the signal strength, memory issues, and increased the download speed I'll probably switch back.

However, the iphone is great for texting, mobieme, and apps (not just games). The 3G download speed of 700-900 kbps on average doesn't hurt either. Either way you really can't go wrong. It really comes down to personal preference.
    09-07-09 07:56 PM
    I already owned an iPhone 3G before I bought my BB, so why would I "waste" money buying a Touch. I use the iPhone on wifi for data when I want, have all it's apps available to me, and carry around my 8900 most of the time. What's wrong with that??
    I do the same thing. i store all my movies, apps, songs right in my 3G. For my everyday usage, I have my Tour
    09-07-09 08:03 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD