I just got a 32g iPhone 3gs as a gift, so I can finally see what all the hype is about, and I want to offer an honest unbiased comparison for anyone debating on wich phone to get.

My devices are 32g 3gs, 3.0 software, BB Storm on 4.7.0.148, and BB Tour on 4.7.1.40 OS.

The first thing I notice is the physical weight of the devices, the iphone is heavier than the BBs. I'm sitting here, tour in one hand, 3gs in the other, storm on the table.

The iphone seems more solid because it literally is, one button, no battery door. Whereas the BBs have several buttons, removeable battery doors/battery/storage.

Now on to the important stuff, the OS.

The iphone works well, but lacks so many features of the blackberrys. Multitasking mainly, and the BB OS seems more user friendly and productively organized. And both my berrys run at the same speed as the iphone as I'm loading websites and flicking thru pictures.

The iphone OS seems more stable, as I have yet to have a reboot in the 2 weeks I've had it.
    One clear advantage I see to the iphone is the app store any the myriad of programs that come with it. The wifi helps too but is not a major concern as I have excellent signal in my area.

One severe drawback for me is the camera. I often use my phone to take pictures and the BB cameras are no contest superior to the iphones.

The iphone has a lot of neat features, fick scroll, pinch zooming, more apps than you'll ever need. But its lacking simple things that give blackberry the edge.

Simple shortcuts: on both my BBs, on the keyboard there are several shortcuts to make navigation of apps/websites easier, such as "b" to go to the bottom of the page, "u" for the first unread message in the list, "r" to reply to selected message, and plenty more. Even on the storm with its touch screen these are available, whereas the iphone doesn't have any.

Camera as I said before, the iphone is seriously lacking in this aspect.

Multitasking: probably my biggest problem with the iphone. I can't stand not being able to switch apps on the fly without having to close the ones I'm using.

Typing: I am horrible at typing on the iphone, maybe I need more practice, but I am much faster and proficient on my BBs

Now for some advantages of the iphone.

Most noticeable, the screen. Its gorgeous, brilliant display, super responsive. All around great.

The app store. No contest the iphone has more to do than a blackberry lol, I have spent hours browsing apps and games and haven't even cracked the surface.

The UI. Yes the BB works great and looks good, but the iphone looks better. Smooth transitions, and simple animations you wouldn't really pay attention to but they add a certain something to the UI of the iphone.

IPod. The main feature, works great, looks great. Everyone needs an ipod lol. The only gripe I have is that on my BB I can skip songs without taking out the phone and unlocking it and ipening the media player, is there a way to do that on the iphone I'm missing?

At the end of the day, my BB comes out on top for me. Its just a more refined device with years and years of development under it. But the iPhone is by no means bad, its an excellent phone! I simply prefer my BB. But I'm definitely keeping my iPhone! And when it comes down to it that's what its about, what you prefer. Play with both, decide what you like. I hope my comparison helped someone!

I could go on all day about the differences/advantages of the phones, but my thumbs are tired. I typed this whole thing on my Tour lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-09 04:51 PM
    There's a billion threads about stuff like this. Thanks for writing all of that.
    08-25-09 05:07 PM
    I never get the whole multitasking thing... I do have backgrounder installed, so it's no issue for me personally, but even without it I'm trying to think of any good reasons why it really matters. I mean in reality all backgrounding does for a BB is leak memory to the point you need to do a BP and then you have nothing running in the background other than the core functions anyway. Couple that with the fact that 90% of apps will pick up close to where you left off on the iPhone and I have no idea why people point to multitasking as their biggest issue with the iPhone.

As for the camera... For me, coming from an 8300 and a Bold, the iPhone camera is like a fancy Cannon or something. The lack of flash leaves something to be desired, but at the same time it wasn't like the results with the flash on a BB where all that exciting, particularly on video recordings.
    08-25-09 05:11 PM
    Well I'm sitting at work with nothing better to do so I thought I'd share my thoughts on my new toy. That's what forums are for right?

I point to multitasking because I run several things at once, browser, BBM, AIM, music, games, and its much easier to switch from the game I'm playing to the message I got with the app switcher on my berry, that's what I meant.

As for the camera I'm spoiled by the Tour lol this things camera is fantastic

08-25-09 05:17 PM
    Well I'm sitting at work with nothing better to do so I thought I'd share my thoughts on my new toy. That's what forums are for right?

I point to multitasking because I run several things at once, browser, BBM, AIM, music, games, and its much easier to switch from the game I'm playing to the message I got with the app switcher on my berry, that's what I meant.

As for the camera I'm spoiled by the Tour lol this things camera is fantastic

Please don't take what I said as criticism, I was just voicing my opinion. It didn't come off like that did it?
    08-25-09 05:21 PM
    Please don't take what I said as criticism, I was just voicing my opinion. It didn't come off like that did it?
    No worries man, that's all I was doin with my top post its all good, like I said in my post its all about your preference. If you prefer that then by all means stick with it!

Its not so much that the iphone can't multitask, its that its so easy on the BB I'm spoiled by it lol and the iphone doesn't have a built in feature like that

Last edited by Chuck Q; 08-25-09 at 05:36 PM.
    08-25-09 05:32 PM
    You'll get faster at typing on the iPhone... I don't know anyone that was flying out of the box, but once you get the hang of it (maybe 2 days) I think you'll find it's actually pretty nice.
    08-25-09 05:35 PM
    Good comparison Chuck. You summed up everything I've never found the time to type about my experiences with the iPhone and Storm on here and then some.
    08-25-09 07:16 PM
    Very nice review, but for a 2MP camera the Iphone 3GS pictures look amazing. I would say it takes better pics than most BB's

As for multitasking. I was watching The Way of The Gun on the bus yesterday and I had a couple emails come in and a bbm. I held down the menu button switched to check them and switched back and my movie continued where it was. If I was listening to music it wouldn't even stop. To me that is a huge thing and I didn't have to do a BP on my 8900.
    08-25-09 08:24 PM
    Very nice review, but for a 2MP camera the Iphone 3GS pictures look amazing. I would say it takes better pics than most BB's
    It's 3MP and it does take better pics than most BBs. In fact, I haven't seen a BB take better pics.
    08-25-09 08:39 PM
    It's 3MP and it does take better pics than most BBs. In fact, I haven't seen a BB take better pics.
    check out the tour forum, theres an entire thread stickied about pics taken with the tour, it really is a great camera
    08-25-09 09:38 PM
    You can switch songs by double tapping the home button when locked. That will bring up song playing and go forward or back on your playlist.

I moved from the storm due to my company going from vzw to AT&T. I didn't want to take a step back and use a trackball again. While the signal strength of AT&T is horrendous in many more areas than vzw, my experience with the iPhone has been phenomenal. I still miss my bb and the ability to truly multitask (I have backgrounder on jb), and the wonderful coverage of vzw, but am very happy with performance and lack of batt pulls /restarts I have had to do.

08-25-09 09:49 PM
    I've played with both 3GS and 3.0mp BBs cameras and the winner for me is definitely the iPhone. Check out some of the photos over here and see what I'm talking about.

Great comparison... the only thing is (even with me), it's always a bit bias whether pro iPhone or pro BlackBerry unless it's pretty much your first smartphone.
    08-25-09 10:30 PM
    check out the tour forum, theres an entire thread stickied about pics taken with the tour, it really is a great camera
    I've seen some of the pics. They are very nice. I have just seen better with the 3GS.
    08-25-09 11:14 PM
    Nice comparison and thanks for taking the time to post it. I am trying to decide between iPhone and BB and all of this info is great.
    How does call quality compare between the two; ATT vs. VZW notwithstanding. By that I mean voice quality, volume, etc.? Do you notice more drops or anything with iPhone (I realize it may be carrier related)?
    Thanks again.
    08-26-09 09:36 AM
    Nice comparison and thanks for taking the time to post it. I am trying to decide between iPhone and BB and all of this info is great.
    How does call quality compare between the two; ATT vs. VZW notwithstanding. By that I mean voice quality, volume, etc.? Do you notice more drops or anything with iPhone (I realize it may be carrier related)?
    Thanks again.
    I get no dropped calls with my iPhone. My 3G coverage is incredible. My 3GS has better voice quality than my Bold, but the Bold does have a louder speaker. I also pick up a better signal with my 3GS.

Can't help you with the Verizon questions, sorry. I can tell you that it all depends on location.
    08-26-09 01:32 PM
    Good comparison. One particular thing I would disagree about is the blackberry being more user friendly. The iPhone is more simple to navigate to different app and settings within the phone. For instance, a person that doesn't know much about blackberries would no nothing about resending service books and registering with the network. Going into the settings/options on a blackberry is brutal especially if you don't know your way around a blackberry. Setting up email on an iPhone is way easier and everything you need is there on your icons. Blackberries sometimes download stuff into different folders, and just navigating through it is a little more painful than the iPhone.

I don't think it's bad because I'm used to blackberry but just don't think that part is better than the iPhone. If you take 2 people off the street who has never used either device, they will be able to deal with the iPhone UI a lot easier, IMO.

Also I don't see how the OP can disregard WiFi as not being important but then tout the camera on the blackberry. That just doesn't make sense to me, but hey I guess they rather have a camera than WiFi. This comparison was clearly not "unbiased". LOL. They would say something good about the iPhone and the follow it up with "it's lacking simple features that gives blackberry the edge". Well blackberry is lacking a real web browser, threaded sms, real html email with access to all folders, better quality camera, more app memory, faster processor, updated UI. That's my comparison.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 08-26-09 at 02:04 PM.
    08-26-09 01:59 PM

The iphone works well, but lacks so many features of the blackberrys.

I'm trying to figure out these 'features' you speak of, since it seems the only thing you have mentioned is multitasking and keyboard shortcuts. The other stuff, like slow typing on a virtual keyboard and camera are hardware issues.

You can skip songs by using the dongle on the headphones.
    Last edited by mdude85; 08-26-09 at 02:37 PM.
    08-26-09 02:35 PM
    You'll get faster at typing on the iPhone... I don't know anyone that was flying out of the box, but once you get the hang of it (maybe 2 days) I think you'll find it's actually pretty nice.
    Took me all of 3 hours to type faster than the storm, which took me since december to type good on.
    08-26-09 03:46 PM
    You can switch songs by double tapping the home button when locked. That will bring up song playing and go forward or back on your playlist.

I moved from the storm due to my company going from vzw to AT&T. I didn't want to take a step back and use a trackball again. While the signal strength of AT&T is horrendous in many more areas than vzw, my experience with the iPhone has been phenomenal. I still miss my bb and the ability to truly multitask (I have backgrounder on jb), and the wonderful coverage of vzw, but am very happy with performance and lack of batt pulls /restarts I have had to do.

Agree with it...and unfortunately storms OS was perhaps the worst BB OS...and thanks for the tip with the home button...
    08-26-09 03:59 PM
    Good comparison. One particular thing I would disagree about is the blackberry being more user friendly. The iPhone is more simple to navigate to different app and settings within the phone. For instance, a person that doesn't know much about blackberries would no nothing about resending service books and registering with the network. Going into the settings/options on a blackberry is brutal especially if you don't know your way around a blackberry. Setting up email on an iPhone is way easier and everything you need is there on your icons. Blackberries sometimes download stuff into different folders, and just navigating through it is a little more painful than the iPhone.

I don't think it's bad because I'm used to blackberry but just don't think that part is better than the iPhone. If you take 2 people off the street who has never used either device, they will be able to deal with the iPhone UI a lot easier, IMO.

Also I don't see how the OP can disregard WiFi as not being important but then tout the camera on the blackberry. That just doesn't make sense to me, but hey I guess they rather have a camera than WiFi. This comparison was clearly not "unbiased". LOL. They would say something good about the iPhone and the follow it up with "it's lacking simple features that gives blackberry the edge". Well blackberry is lacking a real web browser, threaded sms, real html email with access to all folders, better quality camera, more app memory, faster processor, updated UI. That's my comparison.
    I see what youre saying but what i was leaning more towards was the fact that if you are ever stuck or cant figure out how to change something, just hit the BB key and a list of options comes up. I know the iPhone apps have options menues and stuff in them, but its easier to get to the menu on the BB. I prefer the 4 hardkeys on the BB over the iPhones home key, just my preference, you might not feel the same. And i find myself constanty trying to do things on the iphone that i do on my berry, but i cant. Either the iphone is incapeable or i just havent figured it out. Like saving pictures off the web, typing actual documents not just notes, easier to use calendar, and i REALLY love having folders on my BB home screen. It keeps it nice and neat, everything separated into folders, i dont have to flip thru 8 pages to find the app i want. Just simple little things that the BB has because it has been in development for so long. The iPhone does almost all the same stuff, but some of the little things on the BB make me prefer it, im not saying anyone has to agree with me, im just offering my opinion.

and for whoever was talking about typing, i am so much faster typing on my storm and tour than on the iphone. Ive been trying to type on it as much as possible and still am making a lot of mistakes. And there is 0 lag on my tour typing, and minimal lag on the storm virtual keyboard. The device really isnt horrible like all the naysayers claim. The tour is obviously faster, i typed my entire first post on it in about 15 mins.

my tour moves MUCH faster than the iphone with everything, apps, typing, even loading web pages, even when the iphone is on wifi the tour is just as fast. If you read, i said i didnt care about wifi, as i dont need it because my signal is excellent, wifi is just a nice bonus and in no way a deal breaker for a phone with me..

As for the camera being important, i take A LOT of pictures with my phone, so its a big deal for me. ive been taking pictures like crazy trying to get the iphones camera to perform as well as the tour, and it just wont do it, 95% of the time the tour picture is superior. Day, Night, light, dark the Tour has consistantly better pictures.

I will agree that the blackberry UI is outdated, i never said it wasnt. threaded SMS i really dont see the big deal, not an issue for me, so either threaded or not im fine i dont prefer one over the other. And a first time user would probably prefer the iPhone, but like i said before i prefer the BB, im not saying everyone has to feel the same
    08-26-09 06:59 PM
    as far as changing songs without unlocking it just double click the home button
    08-26-09 07:26 PM
    I agree with the OP on mostly everything. The thing is most of this stuff is personaly preference so there is no point taking it to the extreme.

08-26-09 08:26 PM
    Just fyi to save pics off the internet from your iphone you just hold your finger on the picture and click save

08-26-09 10:12 PM
    Why is there an iPhone discussion forum on "Crackberry".com I am not trying to belittle the iPhone, it just seems weird.
    08-26-09 11:37 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD