Alright, here's the deal:

I have an iPhone 4, it's the white variant, and I'm having some issues with the speaker. The speaker crackles quite a bit when I watch videos on YouTube and some of the text tones crackle pretty bad as well. Also, it often muffles the sound as well, for instance sometimes when I listen to music or whatever through the speaker it will randomly get quieter sometimes and then go back to the volume it is on.

Basically my speaker seems to be somewhat defective with all the random drowning out and crackling -- although it is less persistent once the video or song 'gets going' -- and I know that if I go to an Apple store they'll tell me to wipe my iPhone and then send me off and that's a complete waste of time as this seems to be more of a hardware issue. I guess my question is this: my phone speaker does not seem to work properly, is it possible that it may be fixed through a wipe(I.E. 'bad' text tones) of the device and/or should I go get a new one from Apple?
    09-22-11 04:26 PM
    It does not sound like a software issue, especially since you stated that it does it on SMS tones too. Sounds like a bad loudspeaker to me.
    09-22-11 07:30 PM
    Yeah, I didn't think so either, I'm just dreading going in for them to just tell me to restore my phone and then come back if it doesn't work.
    09-22-11 07:39 PM
    -and I know that if I go to an Apple store they'll tell me to wipe my iPhone and then send me off and that's a complete waste of time as this seems to be more of a hardware issue. I guess my question is this: my phone speaker does not seem to work properly, is it possible that it may be fixed through a wipe(I.E. 'bad' text tones) of the device and/or should I go get a new one from Apple?
    Wipe the iPhone before you go to the Apple Store. They will see that you already did this (I'm pretty sure their software tells them how many times you wiped the device, they knew when I brought mine in one time). If the speakers sound bad, they will give you a replacement right away.
    09-22-11 07:45 PM
    Wipe the iPhone before you go to the Apple Store. They will see that you already did this (I'm pretty sure their software tells them how many times you wiped the device, they knew when I brought mine in one time). If the speakers sound bad, they will give you a replacement right away.
    Would it be new or refurbished?
    09-22-11 07:49 PM
    More than likely a new in the box iPhone i don't think the stores had refurbs sitting around. That's what makes Apple so good they have some great customer service. They want to keep their customers happy.
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 09-23-11 at 07:20 AM.
    09-23-11 07:16 AM
    More than likely a new in the box iPhone i don't think the stores had refurbs sitting around. That's what makes Apple so good they have some great customer service. They want to keep their customers happy.
    My sons handset speaker stopped working on viphone. We got a refurb or CLNR. Yeah we were happy it was replaced under warranty, less so it was a refurb.
    09-23-11 09:33 AM
    At the Apple store?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    09-23-11 11:09 AM
    No, Verizon. Apple store is 20 miles away, Verizon corp store is 2.
    09-23-11 11:13 AM
    I meant an Apple store sorry for the confusion. BTW have you checked out XBMC for your media boxes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    09-23-11 11:39 AM
    Would it be new or refurbished?
    Most likely new, but not in a box. Apple has many new iPhones in the back of the Apple Store that they keep in white boxes that are used for replacements only. They do give refurbs as well. You can get either or. Any time I have had to replace my iPhone over the years, I always ask and make sure I get a new one.
    09-23-11 12:07 PM
    Thank you all for your responses. Much appreciated.
    09-23-11 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD