I have used the BB since Nov 09 and am seriously considering a move this March to the iPhone. What are the pro's and the con's? My BB Curve 3G works okay, however it WONT sync iTunes movies, TV shows, etc.. It also does not sync Podcasts as well. I have to manually set them up on the BB, while the iPhone may sync to my Podcast list in iTunes. It appears that the BB's days are numbered. What do you say?
    01-22-12 02:22 PM
    I have used the BB since Nov 09 and am seriously considering a move this March to the iPhone. What are the pro's and the con's? My BB Curve 3G works okay, however it WONT sync iTunes movies, TV shows, etc.. It also does not sync Podcasts as well. I have to manually set them up on the BB, while the iPhone may sync to my Podcast list in iTunes. It appears that the BB's days are numbered. What do you say?
    I say that it may be time to try an Android phone. There are some good ones out there, depending on what carrier that you use.
    01-22-12 04:01 PM
    My plan.. when the iPhone 5 comes out.
    01-22-12 09:21 PM
    i dont think you should. but if you really want to, but a bb torch.
    01-22-12 09:36 PM
    Once you go iPhone, you won't go back. I dumped a Curve for a Storm2 and then my Storm2 for an iPhone and I can't believe I waited that long. My iPhone syncs wonderfully to iTunes and I've yet to have a problem with my iPhone. The app selection is great and contrary to popular belief, they're not all "fart" apps. I have found many useful apps for both work and play. I use a medical coding app at work all the time plus I downloaded NOAA apps for weather as well as LiveStream which allows me to stream news on my iPhone.

Go play with one. See what you think. I love mine.
    01-23-12 10:59 AM
    I have 3 viphones in the family, an ipad 2 for me along with a S2. I won't consider using an iphone as my phone, for a lot of reasons. I'm waiting for QNX with LTE.
    01-23-12 01:00 PM
    I was with Blackberry for 8 years. I loved their phones. However, I recently gave an iPhone 4S a try and can't believe how awesome it is.

The app experience is great. I have tons of stuff for business that I always wished my BB could do.

I can give presentations through tvs and projectors, edit excel files with tons of power (creating graphs etc), sign word and adobe documents, have a great browsing experience, take awesome pictures and movies and make them better with apps like luminance and iMovie, send faxes, have better email (non truncated HTML email), scan documents, hook up a full size BT keyboard and HDMI out to a big screen, send nice cards, go shopping, have great GPS that works (unlike my old 9780), and even find my friends if we are all out at a football game.

That phone has changed my life as much as my first BB. I have no plans to return to BB in the future.

As for why someone would suggest you try Android, I have no clue. Android sucks. I tried it in the past. It could be better now but I was glad to go back to BB after that fragmented nightmare. You already state you have a ton of iTunes stuff. Don't fight what is natural. Get an iPhone and be like the rest of the people that have switched and won't be going back.
    01-24-12 06:31 AM
    I moved to iPhone from a BB a little under a year ago (and prior to that, I had used the non-HP Palm), so I have no particular fan-dom attached to any device. Each brand has had its pros and cons, but here is some 'IMHOs' moving from BB to iPhone -

- iPhone has an extraordinary collection of apps (both good and truly awful) that can make the device more fully-featured, but does not improve the device as a phone.

- the move from a hardware keyboard to a virtual one can be daunting, especially when using the phone in portrait mode and especially if you are typing anything longer than a very quick memo. If you can, try using a friend's iPhone first.

- with a BB, you can type a few letters and the device will pull up all matching Contacts from which you can then highlight and directly call. No such feature in iPhone. In phone mode, you must scroll thru all Contacts to find right one, open that, then click into that to get it to call; or you can create a Favorite list, which is simply a shorter scroll list, or you can use the Search screen in the iPhone to seek the Contact - but again, its multiple steps when 2 are required in BB.

- no ability to add attach attachments directly to an email from the Mail app. Replying to an email and including an attachment requires some convoluted cut-and-paste abilities (and then, Apple's own apps capable of adding attachments will only allow you to include one at a time), while sending a new email with attachment can be done (see note above about iPhone's own apps), while there are some 3rd Party apps out there which allow for multiple files, but counter-intuitively, emails need to be started from within these programs and not Mail.

- much has been made of iCloud and while it is fine for backups on the fly and syncing between multiple Apple iDevices, its still far from perfect if you wish to sync, say, documents between your iPhone and home computer. Simply, it doesn't. Not even to Mac computers - you have to manually access the backups. There are 3rd Party workarounds to useful syncing these, like Documents to Go (you'll be familiar with that on the BB) and its Desktop sync (which will put the actual files on your iPhone) and apps that work with DropBox (where the files aren't kept locally) or something like Google Docs.

-the Reminder app in iPhone is truly terrible. It does not list your reminders by date, but when you inputted it. Looking at the list, you'll not have a 'at-a-glance' view of due dates and you'll be left with the reminder simply showing up on the scheduled (or warning) date. Better by far to use a 3rd Party app on that.

I like the iPhone, I really do - but its still primarily a Content Delivery Device to iTunes (where Apple really makes it's bucks on the iDevice) rather than a (business-friendly) smart phone. If you accept that limitation, its a fine device.
    HollyDolly likes this.
    01-24-12 07:32 AM
    I was with Blackberry for 8 years. I loved their phones. However, I recently gave an iPhone 4S a try and can't believe how awesome it is.

The app experience is great. I have tons of stuff for business that I always wished my BB could do.

I can give presentations through tvs and projectors, edit excel files with tons of power (creating graphs etc), sign word and adobe documents, have a great browsing experience, take awesome pictures and movies and make them better with apps like luminance and iMovie, send faxes, have better email (non truncated HTML email), scan documents, hook up a full size BT keyboard and HDMI out to a big screen, send nice cards, go shopping, have great GPS that works (unlike my old 9780), and even find my friends if we are all out at a football game.

That phone has changed my life as much as my first BB. I have no plans to return to BB in the future.

As for why someone would suggest you try Android, I have no clue. Android sucks. I tried it in the past. It could be better now but I was glad to go back to BB after that fragmented nightmare. You already state you have a ton of iTunes stuff. Don't fight what is natural. Get an iPhone and be like the rest of the people that have switched and won't be going back.
    use Linux, then you'll see real fragmentation. There's barely fragmentation in Android

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    01-24-12 08:32 AM
    I say that it may be time to try an Android phone. There are some good ones out there, depending on what carrier that you use.
    person wants iTunes synced, and Android doesn't do that natively

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    01-24-12 08:41 AM
    I switched when the 4s came out (had to for work), and I agree with everything Bazza1 said. Iphone is great for delivering content, both apps and in browser (which is worlds better than the Blackberry browser, especially if you have aging eyes like I do). BUT, you have to really like iTunes software(sounds like you do for some reason) and be ok with being limited in what you can do and what you can move to and from the device. I still believe the Blackberry is a better communications device for the reasons Bazza1 listed, plus this: if you really like and depend on Blackberry Sound Profiles and the customization they provide, you will NOT be happy with the iPhone, at least at first. Its sound and vibration settings are very poor compared to Blackberry. I still miss that functionality. As far as the LED goes, not as much, but again if you depend on it, it might be a problem for you.

I wouldn't compare the iphone to any pre-Blackberry 7 device, since that's probably not what you'd be buying. Play with the 9900/9930 (hardware keyboard w/touch screen) or 9860/9850 (full touch screen) for a better comparison of the tasks YOU need a phone for.
    lssanjose likes this.
    01-24-12 08:45 AM
    - with a BB, you can type a few letters and the device will pull up all matching Contacts from which you can then highlight and directly call. No such feature in iPhone. In phone mode, you must scroll thru all Contacts to find right one, open that, then click into that to get it to call; or you can create a Favorite list, which is simply a shorter scroll list, or you can use the Search screen in the iPhone to seek the Contact - but again, its multiple steps when 2 are required in BB.
    If you get the 4s, you can tell Siri to call the contact and she will. For people with more than one number (work, home, mobile, pager), she'll ask you which one you want to call and you select. I rarely use my contacts anymore. I just ask Siri to dial for me. I was in my new office earlier and had to call my co-worker earlier and asked Siri to do it. A few construction workers in the new office stopped to wonder where the odd female voice was coming from.

- no ability to add attach attachments directly to an email from the Mail app.
    If you want to, jailbreak allows you to do this.

-the Reminder app in iPhone is truly terrible. It does not list your reminders by date, but when you inputted it. Looking at the list, you'll not have a 'at-a-glance' view of due dates and you'll be left with the reminder simply showing up on the scheduled (or warning) date. Better by far to use a 3rd Party app on that.
    Again, use Siri. Not only can she set reminders and appointments, you can tell her to do something like "Remind me to set my DVR when I get home to record CSI" and when you get to your house, she'll pop up an alert to remind you to do just that. I've had her remind me to stop and get horse food at the feed store on my way home and every time, it works like a charm. I have the appointment notification tone set to a really annoying one so I don't miss it. You can also ask her "What appointments do I have on Monday?" and she'll tell you. Or you can use the notification center which is awesome.

I like the iPhone, I really do - but its still primarily a Content Delivery Device to iTunes (where Apple really makes it's bucks on the iDevice) rather than a (business-friendly) smart phone. If you accept that limitation, its a fine device.
    I use mine for business all the time. I have several medical coding apps on my phone I use daily at work as well as several horse related apps I use weekly when I'm working with horses. It handles my business better than my BB ever did.
    01-25-12 11:44 AM

I agree on this one. Using Date list view helps a bit.
    What 3rd party app are you using?

Also, any solution to having Notes sorted alphabetically instead of by last modified date?

Or maybe I just have to get use to this new stuff. On day 2 of my new iPhone 4S.

Regardless, I love this phone.
    TIA
    01-25-12 04:43 PM
    After three months of frustrations, and bricking, I sold my bold 9900 for $300 a few weeks ago, and bought the iPhone 4S. Best decision I've ever made, as this phone is awesome in every way.

I'm an entrepreneur, who relies solely on my phone all day long, and this is far above many blackberry I've ever used.

I will never go back to BlackBerry after this, and I feel like I just traded in a Corolla for a Mercedes. Please note, I had three different blackberries over the years before switching to iPhone.

I also have to admit that I never type anything anymore. I'm using Siri to type this now, and it's 95% accurate all the time. That negated my biggest worry when I left BlackBerry, which was the physical keyboard. My other concern, was the flashing LED, which surprisingly, I don't Miss at all.
    01-25-12 06:15 PM
    I will never go back to BlackBerry after this, and I feel like I just traded in a Corolla for a Mercedes. Please note, I had three different blackberries over the years before switching to iPhone.

I also have to admit that I never type anything anymore. I'm using Siri to type this now, and it's 95% accurate all the time. That negated my biggest worry when I left BlackBerry, which was the physical keyboard. My other concern, was the flashing LED, which surprisingly, I don't Miss at all.
    I've had 3 different Curves and a S2. Nothing but trouble. I turned my LED off as soon as I got it, so I never used it anyway and I don't miss it now. Welcome to the dark side.
    01-26-12 09:23 AM
    I miss my 9930. I guess I'm one of the few who actually liked the OS. But the lack of dev support has me using the iPhone 4. Perhaps I'll go back one day, but in the meantime, I'm enjoying the apps.

I still feel that for pounding out emails/texts, the BB is the best device. I hope RIM pulls through this funk....
    01-26-12 10:09 AM
    After three months of frustrations, and bricking, I sold my bold 9900 for $300 a few weeks ago, and bought the iPhone 4S. Best decision I've ever made, as this phone is awesome in every way.

I'm an entrepreneur, who relies solely on my phone all day long, and this is far above many blackberry I've ever used.

And I don't like the iphone as a phone, although with mixed emotion I have a love/hate relationship with my ipad. To me time is money, which is why I kept with the S2. Myself I need 100% accuracy, that will never happen, 95% is as good as 0%. This is one reason, I don't use vlingo plus.

While i'm not bashing iphone, there are three in the family, I'm the only holdout. My wife the entrepreneur can't put hers down.

I'm hoping the next BB QNX has LTE. That's what I'm really waiting for.
    01-26-12 10:35 AM
    Yeah I love my iPhone 4S. I had a 9900 but missed my iPhone 4 so I gave it to my wife and I got the 4S. Btw, my wife now has a white 4S and loves it. We have pretty much migrated over to Apple. Got her an iPad 2 for Xmas and I picked up a 27" IMac last week. Love the quality of Apple products.
    01-26-12 12:25 PM
    Trying to type on the tiny BB keyboard is nowhere near 100%. I get much better accuracy on my iPhone 4s. Unfortunately, the keyboard is the BB's only advantage. It is a very primitive device that cannot even hope to compete with the 4s or even a modern Android phone.
    Spot on. Agree completely.
    01-26-12 03:13 PM
    On day 3 of my new iPhone 4S and can type easier and more accurately than I could on my Storm2.

I can't tell you how great it was to get away from the clicking Storm screen.

Good Luck
    01-26-12 10:21 PM
    I moved to iPhone from a BB a little under a year ago (and prior to that, I had used the non-HP Palm), so I have no particular fan-dom attached to any device. Each brand has had its pros and cons, but here is some 'IMHOs' moving from BB to iPhone -

- iPhone has an extraordinary collection of apps (both good and truly awful) that can make the device more fully-featured, but does not improve the device as a phone.

- the move from a hardware keyboard to a virtual one can be daunting, especially when using the phone in portrait mode and especially if you are typing anything longer than a very quick memo. If you can, try using a friend's iPhone first.

- no ability to add attach attachments directly to an email from the Mail app. Replying to an email and including an attachment requires some convoluted cut-and-paste abilities (and then, Apple's own apps capable of adding attachments will only allow you to include one at a time), while sending a new email with attachment can be done (see note above about iPhone's own apps), while there are some 3rd Party apps out there which allow for multiple files, but counter-intuitively, emails need to be started from within these programs and not Mail.

- much has been made of iCloud and while it is fine for backups on the fly and syncing between multiple Apple iDevices, its still far from perfect if you wish to sync, say, documents between your iPhone and home computer. Simply, it doesn't. Not even to Mac computers - you have to manually access the backups. There are 3rd Party workarounds to useful syncing these, like Documents to Go (you'll be familiar with that on the BB) and its Desktop sync (which will put the actual files on your iPhone) and apps that work with DropBox (where the files aren't kept locally) or something like Google Docs.

That is simply not true - open contacts - touch the top center of the screen and it scrolls to the top and opens a search window
    01-27-12 06:04 AM
    Daughter uses BB and I use android. Personally I'm quite intrigued at the possibilities of the QNX style OS coming to BB phones later this year so I'm holding off to see what they bring. Winter/spring are bad times to switch because new stuff usually hits the shelves late summer and fall. Summer is usually Apple's release window as well so you might want to hold off for that as well

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
    01-27-12 06:31 AM
    That is simply not true - open contacts - touch the top center of the screen and it scrolls to the top and opens a search window
    I was gonna say this. Not sure why your having trouble in contacts. Scrolling isn't neccesary at all. Use the search bar and the names come up as you type. I actually enjoy the scrolling though. It's so smooth that when you first try iphone, it's fun! Rubber banding at the top and bottom of lists had never been done before iphone. Just one of those iOS touches, ya know?
    Last edited by tchocky77; 01-27-12 at 01:24 PM.
    01-27-12 01:22 PM
    Or you can just swipe to the far left home screen and use universal search.

Im still not very good on this keyboard but auto correct helps with that.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    01-27-12 03:32 PM
    For those using Reminders:

On the iPhone 4S, you only have 2 ways to sort: List and Date (Due Date).
    Also you must assign a time if you are assigning a date.

However, when accessing Reminders thorugh iCloud (assuming you are syncing), you have 2 addidtional options to sort - by Title and Priority.
    You can also assign a date without having to assign a time.

And this will all sync down to the device.

Still some bugs, but I thought some of you might like to know this.

Good Luck
    01-27-12 10:33 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD