OK. Im at my wit's end. I bought some ringtones from the iTunes store. They were downloaded to my iTunes Music library instead of my ringtones library. Consequently, when I synced my i4, they were put in my songs folder on my iPhone, and not my ringtone folder. How can I move them OUT of my iTunes music library to my iTunes ringtone library so I can sync and they will be downloaded to my ringtone folder on my iPhone? Ive tried everything I know to do. Or, how can I set them as a ringtone from their current location in my music folder on my phone. I assumed since they are ringtones that they would have automatically been downloaded to my iTunes ringtone library instead of my muscic library, but this is not the case. Can anyone help? Ive tried drag and drop, but that did not work.
    07-26-10 04:40 AM
    While you have each ringtone in iTunes, right click each one, one by one and "AAC encode" it. Once that's done on each, drag each tone out to your desktop. On each ringtone, edit the name to where the file extension is .m4r if they aren't already. Once that's done just double click each ringtone so that they open with iTunes. They should automatically go to your ringtones section now.
    07-26-10 06:12 AM
    By the way, I'm not near my PC but you need to edit your folder options on windows so that file extensions are shown on files. I can't remember exactly what the setting is called, but it's in "folder options."
    07-26-10 06:14 AM
    Ok. Thanks. That's my problem, I couldn't open or edit the extension folder to change it to m4r. I found that last night while searching the web. I appreciate your help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-10 06:37 AM
    Download iringer. It's a free program that can turn any mp3 or m4a file into a 30 second m4r. It will automatically add it to iTunes to the correct ringtone folder.

07-26-10 10:18 AM
    Ok thanks. I'll give that a try.

07-26-10 10:29 AM
    You can use your own folder for ringtones. I stick all my ringtones in a folder, aptly named "Ringtones." Then I go to "Add folder to library" under the file menu and select the "Ringtones" folder. Once you do that, iTunes should recognize all the ringtones you have in that folder. Same goes for music, movies, podcasts, etc., etc.
    07-26-10 10:58 AM
    Thanks guys for all the help. I will try each later, but for now I followed The Maestro's instructions and got them on my i4. Many thanks again for the responses guys.
    07-26-10 03:53 PM
    Footnote: Mark, I just DL iRinger. It took about 3 minutes from start to finish and installed right to my ringtones library, just like you said. Again, thanks to all three of you.
    07-26-10 04:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD