I'm flying to Cancun this coming Monday and since I now have a phone with great graphics I want to put a movie on it for the plane ride - Possibly two.

Now as much as I'd like to be as cheap as possible and rip a movie over to it, I don't know a whole lot about how to.

Doesn't Itunes let you rent movies for like 3.99 for like 3-4 days? Is that a good option or is it easier for me to rip one over to it?

Total Plane ride is about 4 hours with a layover so I only need one probably.
    08-27-10 06:56 AM
    Hello,

If you want to save a few $$$ and you own a few movies, download HANDBRAKE, and VLC Player. You convert your DVDs to a format the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch understand, then drag and drop to iTunes. Works Great! It works on Windows or Mac.
    08-27-10 10:54 AM
    Renting via itunes sounds perfect for the use you describe, and it's what I do since I don't watch movies over and over and over.

Prices for rentals vary from .99 on up.

The movie will stay on your iphone for 30 days BUT once you start watching the movie, it will auto delete after 24 hours.
    08-27-10 12:27 PM
    Hello,

If you want to save a few $$$ and you own a few movies, download HANDBRAKE, and VLC Player. You convert your DVDs to a format the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch understand, then drag and drop to iTunes. Works Great! It works on Windows or Mac.
    I have been using another program to do this but it's not consistant, Handbrake looks good but do I have to play it thru VLC and if so is there a app for that?

Thanks for the tip!
    08-27-10 10:44 PM
    Hello,

No, no play thru on VLC. Simply insert your DVD, open Handrake, close any DVD Player Program. Select the DVD, and on the Options, select the iDevice you want Handbrake to format for, "Universal" for iPhone/iPod Touch, or "Apple TV" for the iPad. You can select how much hard drive space you want to use, subtitles, audio format, etc.

It will take time to format based on your memory and CPU. Handbrake uses VLC as part of the encoding process. Both software programs are FREE, and VLC player will decode any audio/video format. It will play anything. Its a good codec. Handbrake and VLC work togther. No App necessary.

How to For Mac
    How to for Windows

Much easier on a Mac without any DVD Encryption Decoder.
    Last edited by h8VZW; 08-28-10 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Added How to URLs
    08-28-10 06:24 AM
    Hello,

No, no play thru on VLC. Simply insert your DVD, open Handrake, close any DVD Player Program. Select the DVD, and on the Options, select the iDevice you want Handbrake to format for, "Universal" for iPhone/iPod Touch, or "Apple TV" for the iPad. You can select how much hard drive space you want to use, subtitles, audio format, etc.

It will take time to format based on your memory and CPU. Handbrake uses VLC as part of the encoding process. Both software programs are FREE, and VLC player will decode any audio/video format. It will play anything. Its a good codec. Handbrake and VLC work togther. No App necessary.

How to For Mac
    How to for Windows

Much easier on a Mac without any DVD Encryption Decoder.
    Thanks! I installed them both on a older comp I have and it took 4 hours and the file was 4gb. I'll try the settings from that "how to" page to see if I can cut down the file size.
    I'm currently using DVDneXtcopy3 and it does have a "copy to mobile device" feature that I used to copy Pink Floyd The Wall, it worked and the picture quality is great and file size is about 300mb but the sound has a static type sound that is intolerable with headphones but o-k (weak) over the built in speaker. There are some movies that it won't copy the sound at all. It would be nice if I could find a program that rips, decodes and converts to mobile file size and format.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

Duane
    08-28-10 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD