07-15-11 01:26 AM
109 123 ...
tools
    The software running Apple's iPhones, iPads and iPod Touch has "critical weaknesses" that could be used by criminals to gain access to confidential data on the devices, Germany's IT security agency has warned.

Germany warning over Apple software - *Technology & Gadgets News | MSN UK

I think the tide is turning. The focus is moving from how many apps a device has to the level of security a device can provide. Something tells me RIM will start gaining from all the hacking that is going on in this world. It amazes me that corporate IT departments have been allowing security weak devices on their networks.

Full Text of Article.....

pa.press.net, Updated: 07/07/2011 15:53
    Germany warning over Apple software
    The software running Apple's iPhones, iPads and iPod Touch has "critical weaknesses" that could be used by criminals to gain access to confidential data on the devices, Germany's IT security agency has warned.

The software running Apple's iPhones, iPads and iPod Touch has 'critical weaknesses',Germany's IT security agency says

Clicking on an infected PDF file "is sufficient to infect the mobile device with malware without the user's knowledge" on several versions of Apple's iOS operating system, the Federal Office for Information Security said.

The same could occur when opening a website that carries an infected PDF file, possibly opening the device to criminals spying on passwords, planners, photos, text messages, emails and even listening in on phone conversations.

"The weak points allow possible attackers to gain administrator rights and get access to the entire system," it said.

The problem may occur on all devices - iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 and the iPod Touch - with software versions including iOS 4.3.3, and it "cannot be excluded" that other iOS versions have the same weakness, it said.

Apple has yet to offer a patch to fix the problem, the agency added.

Apple Germany spokesman Georg Albrecht told the Associated Press he is aware of the warning, adding that Apple will not comment on it.

The agency said it is in contact with the firm regarding the security hole. No attacks taking advantage of it have been reported so far, "but it must be expected that attackers will soon exploit the weak points", it said.

The agency urges the devices' users to refrain from opening PDF files of unknown origin, be it as an email attachment or those opening through websites. "Possible scenarios for attacks by cyber criminals include the extraction of confidential information (passwords, online banking data, calendars, emails, SMS or contacts), accessing the device's cameras, the user's GPS data as well as listening in on phone conversations," the statement said.

The Bonn-based institution reported a similar security hole last year, for which Apple soon afterwards presented a software upgrade fixing it.
    Last edited by pkcable; 07-07-11 at 02:57 PM. Reason: adding full text of article
    07-06-11 04:28 PM
    If the iphone OS hand mailed your credit cards and passwords to everyone on your contact list and sent all your passwords in plaintext for everything I doubt people would stop using it...

Consumers simply don't care about security at all.
    DCAce likes this.
    07-06-11 04:30 PM
    If the iphone OS hand mailed your credit cards and passwords to everyone on your contact list and sent all your passwords in plaintext for everything I doubt people would stop using it...

Consumers might not, but business people sure do.
    07-06-11 04:35 PM

Some of the public won't (and most of those don't watch the news so they'd never know of a breach in the first place).

Others are now taking it more seriously. Especially with identity thief going around etc....
    07-06-11 04:39 PM
    Problem is a lot of employees are basically consumers in that sense. So then the company ends up allowing whatever on the network if they make enough noise
    07-06-11 04:40 PM
    World wide hacking is increasing at an astonishing rate. Mobile and computer security is about to get REALLY BIG and Blackberry is well positioned to take advantage of this. Serious Business's are not going to want to d*ck around with anything less than companies that put security as a PRIMARy focus. Just ask Boeing or Exxon Mobil.
    07-06-11 04:41 PM
    Security won't ever be the focal point of consumers. It's all about the user experience, and NO ONE is sacrificing that in the near future for better security but ****tier hardware/software. The security fixes will come to Android/iOS way before RIM will be able to take advantage of anything.
    EagleLooking78 likes this.
    07-06-11 04:51 PM
    Bad news for apple is meaningless, they do way too much good to be hindered by just about anything that could possibly happen barring something unimaginably catastrophic.
    07-06-11 04:53 PM
    Sure, most consumers won't care, but businesses will damn sure care.
    07-06-11 04:55 PM
    bet this does not make it on BGR
    07-06-11 04:57 PM
    Jobs will just tell the masses that they don't need to open pdf files....

The Jedi mind trick seems to work on them pretty well :-)
    maevinj and DCAce like this.
    07-06-11 05:10 PM
    If consumers cared about security RIM wouldn't be trading at $28 a share.
    07-06-11 05:15 PM
    If consumers weren't so stupid, Enron and Maddoff wouldn't have traded so well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    sam_b77 and Siiid like this.
    07-06-11 05:25 PM
    Security won't ever be the focal point of consumers. It's all about the user experience, and NO ONE is sacrificing that in the near future for better security but ****tier hardware/software. The security fixes will come to Android/iOS way before RIM will be able to take advantage of anything.
    until something happens just as for the sony psn, then people will realize that security is something to worry about...cant wait loads of iproducts be massively hacked.
    07-06-11 05:29 PM
    The average consumer won't care. Businesses using iOS are probably using Good, which is fully encrypted and protected. The users data may still be accessible, but not the corporate data. It is being used to replace BES everyday, including at banks.

BES is great, but people are putting solutions out there to do a lot of what it can do on other platforms.

I thought this review was interesting. Evidently Android has more weaknesses than iOS.

iOS vs. Android: Which mobile OS is more secure?

Most security experts will say that the biggest risk to your data is not the encryption, etc. It is the users. Laptops and phones get left laying around unlocked by many people. No matter the platform, that is probably the biggest risk. I know so many people that just don't want to mess with a lock screen.

Why would you want other devices to get hacked? Are you 12? Does it make RIM win? lmao
    07-06-11 05:48 PM
    <Most security experts will say that the biggest risk to your data is not the encryption, etc. It is the users. Laptops and phones get left laying around unlocked by many people. No matter the platform, that is probably the biggest risk. I know so many people that just don't want to mess with a lock screen.>

This is becoming well known in the enterprise and the RIM security sales pitch scam is being exposed.

Laptop computers have exponentially more sensitive information than phones and have been in the wild for a 15 years. RIM bamboozled companies with the assistance of self serving IT guys to believe cell phone email and text messages needed RIMs servers and the IT guy needed to manage a fleet of blackberries.

As the stock price shows, this scam is over.

Can anyone cite any corporate security breaches as a result of cell phone email transmission?
    07-06-11 05:59 PM
    World wide hacking is increasing at an astonishing rate. Mobile and computer security is about to get REALLY BIG and Blackberry is well positioned to take advantage of this. Serious Business's are not going to want to d*ck around with anything less than companies that put security as a PRIMARy focus. Just ask Boeing or Exxon Mobil.
    I laugh at the iphone and android vulnerabilities. Can't wait to see some more security breeches. I'm sure, as you say, they're coming.

Last edited by Tnis; 07-06-11 at 06:05 PM.
    07-06-11 05:59 PM
    As the stock price shows, this scam is over.
    You're implying that the stock price is directly related to IT departments unadoption of RIM devices?

I highly doubt that.... Pretty sure it has a lot more to do with the lack of handsets and upgrade devices for consumers in the last year lowering earnings...
    07-06-11 06:06 PM
    If consumers weren't so stupid, Enron and Maddoff wouldn't have traded so well.

I think it's way too early to compare RIM to Enron. But we'll re-examine at the end of the year.
    07-06-11 06:15 PM
    No, the consumers are all buying android and apple. That makes the comparison android/apple=enron.

07-06-11 06:19 PM
    The news was so bad the stock was up $2.33 today.
    07-06-11 06:27 PM
    Bye Bye apple.
    It won't be long before someone takes a massive bite out of you .

Bring on the bold 9900

07-06-11 06:30 PM
    Bye Bye apple.
    It won't be long before someone takes a massive bite out of you .

Bring on the bold 9900

LOL, maybe if the 9900 were released a year ago. Even then I doubt it.
    07-06-11 06:36 PM
    No, the consumers are all buying android and apple. That makes the comparison android/apple=enron.

He knew what you meant. He was being condescending. Its his bit.
    07-06-11 06:42 PM
    This is sad. Trolling any bad news on a competitor just to try and make yourself feel better about your choice. So sad.
    07-06-11 06:45 PM
109 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD