And the irony is Jailbreaking your phone actually makes it MORE secure. First thing I do is change the default password for the root user.
    07-07-11 08:44 AM
    Apple issued a statement that a patch is forth coming. Nothing more to see, time to move on. Imagine that, an Adobe software/technology with security vulnerabilities. This is no different than Adobe/RIM issuing two recent fixes for flash vulnerabilities...
    howarmat likes this.
    07-07-11 09:03 AM
    ^^ if it runs flash, it has holes to be found lol
    07-07-11 12:29 PM
    <Most security experts will say that the biggest risk to your data is not the encryption, etc. It is the users. Laptops and phones get left laying around unlocked by many people. No matter the platform, that is probably the biggest risk. I know so many people that just don't want to mess with a lock screen.>

This is becoming well known in the enterprise and the RIM security sales pitch scam is being exposed.

Laptop computers have exponentially more sensitive information than phones and have been in the wild for a 15 years. RIM bamboozled companies with the assistance of self serving IT guys to believe cell phone email and text messages needed RIMs servers and the IT guy needed to manage a fleet of blackberries.

As the stock price shows, this scam is over.

Can anyone cite any corporate security breaches as a result of cell phone email transmission?
    how is it a scam? when an iphone is stolen and locked via PASSCODE it can be CRACKED !

when a blackberry is locked via PASSWORD .. it can't! u lose the phone but not your data... also Blackberry protect can wipe it remotely.. any IT guy at a company can wipe your BB remotely..

so even if ur BB gets stolen your data can be safe!

yes there are companies that used other Smart phones and got screwed.. i believe there were several people on here where they experienced it with their companies!

is that why they let the president use a BB? is that why the US military is using PBs?
    07-07-11 01:37 PM
    how is it a scam? when an iphone is stolen and locked via PASSCODE it can be CRACKED !

when a blackberry is locked via PASSWORD .. it can't! u lose the phone but not your data... also Blackberry protect can wipe it remotely.. any IT guy at a company can wipe your BB remotely..

so even if ur BB gets stolen your data can be safe!

yes there are companies that used other Smart phones and got screwed.. i believe there were several people on here where they experienced it with their companies!

is that why they let the president use a BB? is that why the US military is using PBs?

A couple of things..
    You can also easily wipe the iphone comletely. It can be done in seconds...You can also change the passcodes or whateve ryou want to do remotely.

The president has an ipad, and a lot of government officials are switching to the iphone. I saw an article a while back about it (maybe 3 or 4 weeks, too lazy to check)

didn't mean to make it a BB vs. iphone comparison, but I just couldnt stand lookinga t that comment without correcting it. If you spread enough misinformation people start believing it.
    07-07-11 01:56 PM
    A couple of things..
    You can also easily wipe the iphone comletely. It can be done in seconds...You can also change the passcodes or whateve ryou want to do remotely.

The president has an ipad, and a lot of government officials are switching to the iphone. I saw an article a while back about it (maybe 3 or 4 weeks, too lazy to check)

didn't mean to make it a BB vs. iphone comparison, but I just couldnt stand lookinga t that comment without correcting it. If you spread enough misinformation people start believing it.
    appreciated ; >

my main point is that passcodes on the iphone can be hacked by anyone with google at their finger tips..

but yes lets not make it a BB vs iphone thing..
    07-07-11 02:19 PM
    Apple issued a statement that a patch is forth coming. Nothing more to see, time to move on. Imagine that, an Adobe software/technology with security vulnerabilities. This is no different than Adobe/RIM issuing two recent fixes for flash vulnerabilities...
    You're right, no different except if the RIM phone does not have webkit. Like OS5 on my S2.
    07-07-11 02:48 PM
    ^^ if it runs flash, it has holes to be found lol
    You are correct. Thankfully both my mobile devices, for different reasons, do not have flash.
    07-07-11 02:51 PM
    I added the full text of the article to the first post.
    07-07-11 03:02 PM
    my main point is that passcodes on the iphone can be hacked by anyone with google at their finger tips..
    How is this possible? Can you provide details/instructions? I'm intrigued...

Thanks
    07-08-11 06:52 AM
    The average consumer won't care. Businesses using iOS are probably using Good, which is fully encrypted and protected. The users data may still be accessible, but not the corporate data. It is being used to replace BES everyday, including at banks.

BES is great, but people are putting solutions out there to do a lot of what it can do on other platforms.

I thought this review was interesting. Evidently Android has more weaknesses than iOS.

iOS vs. Android: Which mobile OS is more secure?

Most security experts will say that the biggest risk to your data is not the encryption, etc. It is the users. Laptops and phones get left laying around unlocked by many people. No matter the platform, that is probably the biggest risk. I know so many people that just don't want to mess with a lock screen.

Why would you want other devices to get hacked? Are you 12? Does it make RIM win? lmao
    The average apple user believes apple products are immune to malware. Even some attorneys.
    07-08-11 07:36 AM
    And the PB has issues too

PlayBook OS updated after Adobe Flash security issue | Tablets | Macworld

Back to what howarmat said if it runs adobe it has problems.
    07-08-11 08:24 AM
    Anybody hungry? My iPhone has an app that will make you breakfast!

/punches keys, generates high definition image of breakfast

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-11 08:38 AM
    The average apple user believes apple products are immune to malware. Even some attorneys.
    And this has created huge problems for them, except that it hasn't. Apple products certainly aren't immune to malware, but the stories I read always address what's coming as opposed to what's happening right now.
    07-08-11 09:12 AM
    Until people start hearing real life stories about how someones phone was hacked, and then they had their identity, or credit card info, or something else actually of importance (and I don't mean your contact list containing your mom's cell phone #)..then phone security won't mean jack.

Unlike Jared Co. on BB's..i've yet to hear of any other softare/app that has spammed contacts stolen from a contact list (i'm not saying it hasn't/doesn't happen..just that i've never heard any complaints)..
    07-08-11 09:32 AM
    I'm surprised how many people don't even use a password. I know of someone who lost his phone (or maybe it was stolen), and the finder picture mailed pics of his crotch to everyone in his contact list.

07-08-11 09:37 AM
    I'm surprised how many people don't even use a password. I know of someone who lost his phone (or maybe it was stolen), and the finder picture mailed pics of his crotch to everyone in his contact list.

There is a new app on Android called Got Ya!..and it uses your FFC (if the device has one) to snap a picture of a would be thief after 3 failed passcode attempts..and then emails it to you. Doesn't really help if you don't know the thief..but still kinda cool.
    07-08-11 09:42 AM
    There is a new app on Android called Got Ya!..and it uses your FFC (if the device has one) to snap a picture of a would be thief after 3 failed passcode attempts..and then emails it to you. Doesn't really help if you don't know the thief..but still kinda cool.
    It works great when you're talking to the police. You can give them the picture, and tell them where he/she is currently located.
    07-08-11 10:27 AM
    How is this possible? Can you provide details/instructions? I'm intrigued...

Thanks
    search it on google. i believe it's with older firmware and it's pretty easy to do.. if it can be done once it can always be done!

here is a guy that does it on 4.3.1 which is fairly new as the newest i believe is 4.3.3. it as found in 4.1 and apple said they fixed it.. but as u can see it works with 4.3.x

skip to 3:00 as it takes him a while, but still doable

people that jailbreak don;t like to upgrade unless absolutely necessary cause it locks the phone again when upgrade and u probably have to wait a little bit before jailbreaking a new OS is figured out

just like jailbreaking... you were able to jailbreak since the 1st gen iphone... they still can stop hackers to find different ways to jailbreak..
    Last edited by knowledge_6; 07-08-11 at 12:26 PM.
    07-08-11 12:16 PM
    There was already a Jailbreak that used a similar exploit and it blew over in a day or two. People just don't care. Look at the CONFIRMED antenna issues that plague the phone and yet people still gobble them up. The average iDevice user probably doesn't even know about this and once they release 4.3.4 it will be fixed and forgotten.
    Last edited by jnko; 07-08-11 at 01:59 PM.
    07-08-11 01:56 PM
    Only the ones that get victimized by the exploit will care and they say there are already files you can dload to use this hole... Sure, an update will fix it, but will all of these people that "don't care" suddenly care about updating their phones?

The problem, to me, is the constant pattern with the same issues. BTW, When's the next time change coming? How about leap year... Don't forget to double-check those alarms...lol
    07-08-11 03:04 PM
    BTW, When's the next time change coming? How about leap year... Don't forget to double-check those alarms...lol
    I find it unbelievable that people could still find fault with a calender application bug on IOS after the boatload of bugs, deficiencies and errors we are tolerating and living through with QNX.
    07-08-11 04:49 PM
    folks in the grand scheme of things, this is ALL very new, and there are some people right now in the world that are making it very clear that security as we know it is a joke, and that goes from a motorola razr, through blackberry, ios, android, bes, exchange, apache, all of it. there is no such thing as security. the fact that people are touting one against the other in these scenarios is an even bigger joke, bbos isn't comparable to android or ios because it's an absolute dinosaur. it's likely exploitable, but there's such little interest in it, it won't be a target. exploiters target what's popular because they like attention. and lets be honest, most people aren't worried about being hacked, and if security was a big selling point RIM would be on top.. however they aren't.

the most issue i have with security is locating my phone if it's lost or stolen. this seems to be of absolute dreamlike ease with android and ios, but if you lose your blackberry good luck.

don't even get me started on encryption and truncated emails, because that's just inexcusable, especially on gsm blackberry's. you can listen in on peoples conversations with a few dollars of electronics and a pringles can. that isn't secure, in fact most blackberry's are gsm and gsm is INCREDIBLY insecure. a hacker a few years ago in vegas actually built a mini tower that spoofed itself as an at&t tower and was intercepting all voice calls and texts from everyone close. and he built it himself.

don't be fooled by security, it doesn't exist.
    07-08-11 04:57 PM
    folks in the grand scheme of things, this is ALL very new, and there are some people right now in the world that are making it very clear that security as we know it is a joke, and that goes from a motorola razr, through blackberry, ios, android, bes, exchange, apache, all of it. there is no such thing as security. the fact that people are touting one against the other in these scenarios is an even bigger joke, bbos isn't comparable to android or ios because it's an absolute dinosaur. it's likely exploitable, but there's such little interest in it, it won't be a target. exploiters target what's popular because they like attention. and lets be honest, most people aren't worried about being hacked, and if security was a big selling point RIM would be on top.. however they aren't.

the most issue i have with security is locating my phone if it's lost or stolen. this seems to be of absolute dreamlike ease with android and ios, but if you lose your blackberry good luck.

don't even get me started on encryption and truncated emails, because that's just inexcusable, especially on gsm blackberry's. you can listen in on peoples conversations with a few dollars of electronics and a pringles can. that isn't secure, in fact most blackberry's are gsm and gsm is INCREDIBLY insecure. a hacker a few years ago in vegas actually built a mini tower that spoofed itself as an at&t tower and was intercepting all voice calls and texts from everyone close. and he built it himself.

don't be fooled by security, it doesn't exist.
    I agree. Security is a feature RIM tries to use to differentiate itself because there isnt much to brag about competitively.

If you step back and look at it, there really isnt much of value for a thief to desire on a smartphone. Instead, these hackers are looking for their 15 minutes of fame and the challenge of saying they hacked something.
    07-08-11 05:10 PM
    RIM does have fantastic security features with BES, BIS not near as good at all but the USER is really the weakest security link of any phone. Jared Co mines data from BB users daily. All platforms are insecure when it comes to this kind of "attack." You download 1 wrong app to your phone and its all over. All you data can be taken from you. Even reading the permissions wont help in you in some cases.
    Last edited by howarmat; 07-08-11 at 07:41 PM.
    07-08-11 05:20 PM
109 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD