This is sad. Trolling any bad news on a competitor just to try and make yourself feel better about your choice. So sad.
    Blogs make a living off of doing this...
    07-06-11 06:49 PM
    Yea I just read it from GlobeandMail

Security.. especially how we store so much on a "mobile" device. I'd like em to be secure. **** I have a pretty short security time-outs.

Wait till iCloud, its an iDisaster waiting to happen. Store my whole phone on the cloud yea ok lol.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    07-06-11 07:03 PM
    The utopian fantasy of an Apple security breach that brings down the brand and somehow allows RIM to regain glory is about all that is left.

It isnt going to happen. Msft has been selling Malware, spyware and virus vulnerable software on pcs and laptops for how long? How has this hurt them? Corporations keep buying it!
    LazyStarGazer likes this.
    07-06-11 07:05 PM

This is becoming well known in the enterprise and the RIM security sales pitch scam is being exposed.
    you obviously arent well informed, a BES admin could make it so that the device cant open the `harmful` attachements, ergo its secure. but FAR FAR more importantly, it means businesses can ensure their devices are passworded and auto lock. which of course most people fail to do, but when forced to, it safer.
    07-06-11 07:23 PM
    They will start thinking about security soon, I think really soon.

BBC News - Dead soldiers' families 'hacked by newspaper'

Trying to find the other story about News of the World hacking into phones but can't. Do a little search and I'm sure you'll find them though.

People are going to become very aware they need a secure phone. I'm not too sure what phones were hacked in the story but would love to know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-11 07:33 PM
    I am laughing hard at how some of you are hoping security hacks start happening to all those evil, stupid people who did not choose RIM. Fanboys much? How about you wish people start to appreciate what RIM offers in terms of security? That one would be a positive. The other reeks of desperation for your choice to be proven the best.

No one can argue the BES is the most secure solution available. People should not argue that. People don't fully appreciate it, and it has not caused people to turn away from other platforms. This includes me. How many of you keep all your Gmail messages? Ever wonder how secure that is? It probably contains a vast amount of stuff you don't want people to know. If you use a BB through BES or BIS to access externally hosted email, you are probably quite vulnerable. BES connected to a managed email server is a great, secure model, but few BB users outside of the enterprise are running it.

As far as storage in the Cloud, welcome to the future. It will be the way of things. I highly doubt it will be a disaster.
    Last edited by dbw1000; 07-06-11 at 07:37 PM.
    Rickroller and mrsadkins9399 like this.
    07-06-11 07:34 PM
    Security and Encryption, that's the goodness of BlackBerry

I love it. I'm on this thing day and night! Poor apple! Pie anyone? :P

07-06-11 07:48 PM
    Security and Encryption, that's the goodness of BlackBerry

I love it. I'm on this thing day and night! Poor apple! Pie anyone? :P

so far the worst mobile security breach i've seen is in blackberry's webkit browser, the flaw that coughs up your entire contact list and photo albums. i don't care if it's fixable by turning javascript off, i'd say 95% of the blackberry userbase doesn't even know that flaw exists and have it on anyway. so marching around with the security flag flying high might not really get you far. i certainly never card about encryption. i guess it's great for business, but exchange seems to offer just as much.
    07-06-11 07:54 PM
    so far the worst mobile security breach i've seen is in blackberry's webkit browser, the flaw that coughs up your entire contact list and photo albums. i don't care if it's fixable by turning javascript off, i'd say 95% of the blackberry userbase doesn't even know that flaw exists and have it on anyway. so marching around with the security flag flying high might not really get you far. i certainly never card about encryption. i guess it's great for business, but exchange seems to offer just as much.
    It wasn't actually a BB specific issue, but ok...
    07-06-11 07:56 PM
    Most of everyone wouldn't browse to objectional websites on purpose. Most just stick to what they know, besides, it's the safest way to go about things. You could always use opera mini or bolt. Both are webkit.

07-06-11 07:56 PM
    It wasn't actually a BB specific issue, but ok...
    That is correct. I read about that issue before, it affected almost any device running a webkit browser.

07-06-11 07:57 PM
    Consumers might not, but business people sure do.
    I don't disagree with that, and some of the general consumer base are pretty aware of security as well, but it's frightening how ignorant of it some people are. And let me clarify that I don't mean ignorant in an offensive sense, simply that a lot of people outside the "tech world" simply don't really know that much about guarding their phones, that seems to be the case around here anyway.
    07-06-11 07:58 PM
    I am laughing hard at how some of you are hoping security hacks start happening to all those evil, stupid people who did not choose RIM. Fanboys much? How about you wish people start to appreciate what RIM offers in terms of security? That one would be a positive. The other reeks of desperation for your choice to be proven the best.

No one can argue the BES is the most secure solution available. People should not argue that. People don't fully appreciate it, and it has not caused people to turn away from other platforms. This includes me. How many of you keep all your Gmail messages? Ever wonder how secure that is? It probably contains a vast amount of stuff you don't want people to know. If you use a BB through BES or BIS to access externally hosted email, you are probably quite vulnerable. BES connected to a managed email server is a great, secure model, but few BB users outside of the enterprise are running it.

As far as storage in the Cloud, welcome to the future. It will be the way of things. I highly doubt it will be a disaster.
    I don't think anyone here hopes for anyone to get hacked. I think that it is important for Corporations, businesses and individual consumers to realize the serious threat that exists to data that resides on our smartphones.

Everyone is focusing on how many apps a platform has vs. how robust and secure the platform is. This is ridiculousness and I think the media has a big role to play on not bringing this issue to the forefront.

I can't imagine anyone loading apps on an Android phone without knowing the integrity of the app, yet millions of users have done this countless of times. How much unauthorized data mining is actually occurring? This actually boggles my mind.
    Last edited by technology_fanboy; 07-06-11 at 08:08 PM.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    07-06-11 08:02 PM

This is becoming well known in the enterprise and the RIM security sales pitch scam is being exposed.

Laptop computers have exponentially more sensitive information than phones and have been in the wild for a 15 years. RIM bamboozled companies with the assistance of self serving IT guys to believe cell phone email and text messages needed RIMs servers and the IT guy needed to manage a fleet of blackberries.

As the stock price shows, this scam is over.

Can anyone cite any corporate security breaches as a result of cell phone email transmission?
    With you being so credible and providing rock solid logic - its difficult to argue with you.
    07-06-11 08:29 PM
    "This one is a remote code executable vulnerability," said Miller of one of the two bugs exploited by JailbreakMe 3.0. "Apple will probably patch this in a couple of weeks at the most."

Like Cluley, Miller was concerned by the bugs and exploits. "They're certainly a threat, and would be easy to make malicious," he said.

Miller also noted that because comex released a patch for the vulnerabilities at the same time as JailbreakMe 3.0, the situation wasn't serious. "For anyone worried about security, they can jailbreak their iPhone and then apply the patch," Miller said.

Comex published the fix, dubbed "PDF Patcher 2," on the Cydia app store, a popular site for downloading applications that run only on jailbroken iOS devices.

"Due to the nature of iOS, this patch can only be installed on a jailbroken device," said comex in a short FAQ on JailbreakMe. "Until Apple releases an update, jailbreaking will ironically be the best way to remain secure."
    Jailbreak artists exploit unpatched Apple iPhone, iPad bugs - Computerworld
    07-06-11 08:31 PM
    With you being so credible and providing rock solid logic - its difficult to argue with you.
    He's here because he loves tech talk. That is the current spin being offered.
    07-06-11 08:33 PM
    Ive had a BB since the early 2000's and have never had that happen to me with experiences in both BES and BIS. Idiots will get hacked regardless of the device. iOS just happens to draw more of that demographic.
    07-06-11 08:39 PM
    He's here because he loves tech talk. That is the current spin being offered.
    Since everyone wants to rip me. What makes the smartphone such a security breach risk over the laptop?

I am not a tech guy so it is a serious question. Edumacate me.
    07-06-11 08:49 PM
    Since everyone wants to rip me. What makes the smartphone such a security breach risk over the laptop?

I am not a tech guy so it is a serious question. Edumacate me.
    You're not a tech guy but you can yammer on about the sham that RIM has propagated with their security protocol?

And honestly - I dont know that a laptop is any less or more of a security breach risk but it could potentially hold more data. That doesnt mean sensitive info wont be handled on the smartphone though.
    07-06-11 08:54 PM
    Bad news Apple? They just ordered 15 million iphone 5s to sell on launch day. Poor Apple, those 15 million iphones will just get hacked. So sad.
    EagleLooking78 likes this.
    07-06-11 09:10 PM
    Bad news Apple? They just ordered 15 million iphone 5s to sell on launch day. Poor Apple, those 15 million iphones will just get hacked. So sad.
    No, not poor Apple... it's poor unsuspecting consumer.

Apple is laughing all the way to the bank, as hackers are stealing your data.
    07-06-11 09:38 PM
    If consumers cared about security RIM wouldn't be trading at $28 a share.
    Users in general will care at some point. Almost everyone that uses a PC nowadays online does care about their security, even if they are absolutely inept at enforcing it. 15 years of bad press about hackers and peoples' data getting stolen has heightened awareness greatly.

Once enough harm has been done, people will start coming into the carriers' stores and asking those questions about how secure the devices are, comparatively.

Of course that does not mean RIM will know how to capitalize on any of it, at all.
    07-06-11 09:38 PM
    If this was a RIM story it would be all over Bloomberg, cnbc, fox and the rest. I haven't heard anything????? The media is a scam.
    07-06-11 10:35 PM
    For the avoidance of doubt, the phone hacking scam in the UK is not a security related issue as such for a handset, it's people not changing the pre-set PIN on their voicemail messages, and scumbag gutter press journalists listening in.
    07-07-11 02:44 AM
    This is sad. Trolling any bad news on a competitor just to try and make yourself feel better about your choice. So sad.
    Exactly.

Its a non-issue for their fans anyway. If security was such a big deal, they wouldn't have used an iPhone in the first place

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jh84; 07-07-11 at 04:37 AM.
    07-07-11 04:35 AM
109 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD