I am looking at trading my Bold for an Iphone. Only had it a month but tired of carrying my Ipod and Bold around all the time. I did not get it before because my Bold was free when I signed up for AT&T. Anyone done this? Downfalls? Upsides?
    08-02-09 11:44 AM
    All I have to say is "Apples and Oranges" you cannot compare the two.
    08-02-09 11:59 AM
    All I have to say is "Apples and Oranges" you cannot compare the two.
    .....??? They are both cell phones and have very similair features. How are they completely different?

Camera comparision?

Video quality?

Web browsing?

Battery life?

Signal quality?

ease of use?

etc....
    08-02-09 12:04 PM
    .....??? They are both cell phones and have very similair features. How are they completely different?

Camera comparision?

Video quality?

Web browsing?

Battery life?

Signal quality?

ease of use?

etc....
    1. The iPhone 3GS has a 3.0 MP camera with a very good lens, and takes quality photos. The Bold has a 2.0 MP camera, and doesn't take very good photos.

2. The iPhone 3GS video quality is better. Both taking videos and watching videos. It has a built in video editing process, and videos being watched on are awesome due to the gorgeous large screen.

3. Any iPhone/iPod Touch is better than a Bold at web browsing. Mobile Safari is the king of the hill in this category.

4. The Bold gets better battery life for most. I do get 1 days use out my 3GS with heavy use.

5. Signal quality of my 3GS is better than my Bold. It also has better voice quality IMHO.

6. The iPhone is the easiest smartphone to use. It is the number 1 consumer smartphone. It is very easy to set up and get use to. It is also very enjoyable to use.

The Bold is a GREAT device. I love my Bold and it is the best BB ever made. As of right now though, the 3GS is treating me well and I can't keep the thing out of my hands. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    08-02-09 12:30 PM
    I had a Bold and iPod touch and was tired of carrying both around so when the 3GS was released, I bought the iPhone and sold my Touch and Bold.
    08-02-09 12:41 PM
    1. The iPhone 3GS has a 3.0 MP camera with a very good lens, and takes quality photos. The Bold has a 2.0 MP camera, and doesn't take very good photos.

2. The iPhone 3GS video quality is better. Both taking videos and watching videos. It has a built in video editing process, and videos being watched on are awesome due to the gorgeous large screen.

3. Any iPhone/iPod Touch is better than a Bold at web browsing. Mobile Safari is the king of the hill in this category.

4. The Bold gets better battery life for most. I do get 1 days use out my 3GS with heavy use.

5. Signal quality of my 3GS is better than my Bold. It also has better voice quality IMHO.

6. The iPhone is the easiest smartphone to use. It is the number 1 consumer smartphone. It is very easy to set up and get use to. It is also very enjoyable to use.

The Bold is a GREAT device. I love my Bold and it is the best BB ever made. As of right now though, the 3GS is treating me well and I can't keep the thing out of my hands. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    Thank you for your input. This is what I was looking for. Personal opinions and not just Spec differences.

I had a Bold and iPod touch and was tired of carrying both around so when the 3GS was released, I bought the iPhone and sold my Touch and Bold.
    I am in the same boat. Just don't have the money for it (just got married a couple months ago), Why I was thinking about trading.
    08-02-09 12:42 PM
    Thank you for your input. This is what I was looking for. Personal opinions and not just Spec differences.
    No problem. Glad I could help.
    08-02-09 12:43 PM

very well said!
    08-02-09 06:51 PM
    I had an iPhone for a while and listening to music basically killed my entire battery to the point I had to limit my phone use. Not worth it in my opinion, I guess it all depends on how much music you have/how long you listen to it. I simply cannot afford to not be able to use my phone because I was listening to music. Surprised to see people saying they had better service and call quality on the iPhone as I found the complete opposite. Again this is all opinion as people above have stated completely differently. I also could not do away with multi-tasking. It really all depends on what you want personally. Is carrying around your iPod really that difficult? If you think it is then get the iPhone but I think you will lose some of the phone functionality of the Bold.
    08-02-09 09:20 PM
    If you do not require multi-tasking, a qwerty keyboard, push email, bbm... Then I say go for it. If the iPhone had the above I would probably go back to it, although I was able to type well on it so the qwerty part doesn't affect me nearly as bad as it does others.

Browsing, app variety, camera/recording are better on the iPhone (3GS), so if that's what you're more into I think the switch would make sense for you.
    08-03-09 01:21 AM
    That push e-mail comment isn't entirely accurate. They have MobileMe, Yahoo!, and any exchange e-mail is push. BBM is great if you know a lot of people with Blackberries. If you are like me, I know 2, then that's definitely not a deal breaker.

I love my iPhone 3GS after going back and forth between the Bold and the 3G iPhone, I can finally say that I am very happy with my device. The only problem I have is that I miss the physical keyboard. I make mistakes sometimes and it's quite frustrating. Other then that, I do really like the iPhone and I can type quickly on the iPhone keyboard, just have to go back to make sure I didn't make any mistakes or the auto-correct feature gave me the wrong word!

If you do not require multi-tasking, a qwerty keyboard, push email, bbm... Then I say go for it. If the iPhone had the above I would probably go back to it, although I was able to type well on it so the qwerty part doesn't affect me nearly as bad as it does others.

Browsing, app variety, camera/recording are better on the iPhone (3GS), so if that's what you're more into I think the switch would make sense for you.
    08-03-09 10:30 AM
    I know ONE person with a BB so BBM doesn't bother me at all. Plus I use e-mails instead of paying for text messages.

I really want to thank all of your for your input. I do appriciate it.

Keep opinions coming.
    08-03-09 10:33 AM
    My iPhone has worse battery life than my Blackberry (Storm) had. I can get about a day's worth of charge with the iPhone, but probably 2 days or more with the Storm. I just get in the habit of charging the iPhone every night and turning down my brightness, and going into airplane mode when I am in an area where I know coverage is bad.

You can also get multitasking by jailbreaking the iPhone.

In addition to those features people commonly say are better on the iPhone than on the Blackberry, I found these other features also are improved on the iPhone:

- GPS lock is a lot faster than on Blackberry

- greater ease adding and editing contacts

- faster loading maps than with Google Maps for Blackberry (although the Google Maps for Blackberry could plot directions between two arbitrary points, whereas performing the same operation on an iPhone is more tedious).

- much better integration with iTunes, podcasts, Youtube, etc.

Some stuff I wish the iPhone had

- multitasking without jailbreaking
    - real Google Talk app instead of web app
    - LED indicator light
    - push for Gmail
    Last edited by mdude85; 08-03-09 at 11:33 AM.
    08-03-09 11:30 AM
    That push e-mail comment isn't entirely accurate. They have MobileMe, Yahoo!, and any exchange e-mail is push. BBM is great if you know a lot of people with Blackberries. If you are like me, I know 2, then that's definitely not a deal breaker.

I love my iPhone 3GS after going back and forth between the Bold and the 3G iPhone, I can finally say that I am very happy with my device. The only problem I have is that I miss the physical keyboard. I make mistakes sometimes and it's quite frustrating. Other then that, I do really like the iPhone and I can type quickly on the iPhone keyboard, just have to go back to make sure I didn't make any mistakes or the auto-correct feature gave me the wrong word!
    Hey whats your opinion with the iphone keyboard? I had an iphone 3g before but not a blackberry, all i know is that the iphone keyboard is very fustrating to use especially if you text a lot like me. But I know the new OS 3 has the horizontal keyboard now I don't know if it makes that big of a difference. I wanted a blackberry because of the qwerty keyboard, but if the landscape texting on the iphone is good, I might just go with the 3gs.
    08-03-09 01:38 PM

Yes I understand Mobile Me, Yahoo, etc. I tried the free trial on Mobile Me and it was good.

That being said, I just prefer how push works on BB; all of email accounts push perfectly with no subscription needed or email forwarding needed.

As for BBM, if you don't know many people with BB then I fully understand how it can be useless and not an important feature. My friends are getting BB's every day it seems. I no longer have to pay for unlimited text, which is huge for me.
    08-03-09 03:52 PM

I multitask all the time with my iPhone... so I'm not sure you said it correct. You must mean 3rd party multitasking.

Push Email... I've been receiving my mail before my berry does. On rare occasions, my berry wins. Who honestly needs this? Not that many people. I have it on an exchange server, mobile me and yahoo, but I prefer gmail every 30 minutes. I realized life and death matters (and other urgent issues) are done by phone calls.
    08-03-09 04:07 PM
    I multitask all the time with my iPhone... so I'm not sure you said it correct. You must mean 3rd party multitasking.

Push Email... I've been receiving my mail before my berry does. On rare occasions, my berry wins. Who honestly needs this? Not that many people. I have it on an exchange server, mobile me and yahoo, but I prefer gmail every 30 minutes. I realized life and death matters (and other urgent issues) are done by phone calls.
    Push email is important for me because I play fantasy sports, and baseball season is going on right now which is a daily thing for me. Getting messages, trade offers, player updates, etc, is a big advantage. I play in multiple leagues and am able to stay updated on all of them just like I would on my pc or macbook.

I don't mean to make BB email seem so much better than iPhone. BB email just works better for me.

And yes, I did mean no multi-tasking 3rd party apps... Unless jailbreaking.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-09 05:30 PM
    I am looking at trading my Bold for an Iphone. Only had it a month but tired of carrying my Ipod and Bold around all the time. I did not get it before because my Bold was free when I signed up for AT&T. Anyone done this? Downfalls? Upsides?
    i just did it, now im looking for a trade back for a bold because lack of real keyboard sucks. the iphone is way slower then the bold, imo. lack of mms and a good copy/paste sucks. and the email system sucks.

i miss my bold
    08-03-09 05:44 PM
    i just did it, now im looking for a trade back for a bold because lack of real keyboard sucks. the iphone is way slower then the bold, imo. lack of mms and a good copy/paste sucks. and the email system sucks.

i miss my bold
    Wanna make a trade???
    08-03-09 06:03 PM
    Hey whats your opinion with the iphone keyboard? I had an iphone 3g before but not a blackberry, all i know is that the iphone keyboard is very fustrating to use especially if you text a lot like me. But I know the new OS 3 has the horizontal keyboard now I don't know if it makes that big of a difference. I wanted a blackberry because of the qwerty keyboard, but if the landscape texting on the iphone is good, I might just go with the 3gs.
    I actually like the keyboard for the most part. I do not use the horizontal landscape keyboard unless I am writing an e-mail that is lengthy. I have big fingers so sometimes I am hitting keys I don't want to so that is frustrating at times but for the most part, I like the keyboard.

FWIW, on my last cell bill, I sent/received 3279 text messages. So I do text a lot myself.
    08-03-09 11:50 PM
    Yes I understand Mobile Me, Yahoo, etc. I tried the free trial on Mobile Me and it was good.

That being said, I just prefer how push works on BB; all of email accounts push perfectly with no subscription needed or email forwarding needed.

As for BBM, if you don't know many people with BB then I fully understand how it can be useless and not an important feature. My friends are getting BB's every day it seems. I no longer have to pay for unlimited text, which is huge for me.

Absolutely. If I knew people that had BBM and used it all the time then yea it would be more beneficial. If you can cut costs by doing that then more power to you.

I just feel like the Blackberry gets old sometimes and boring. The iPhone is always fresh because of the apps. If it weren't for the app, while the device would still be revolutionary, it wouldn't be as fresh and the ability to keep it fresh wouldn't be there. I got bored with the Bold after a few weeks and I had to constantly check the app memory so that I didn't put too many apps on it. Now I have 16GB of space I could put as many apps on as I want, and have as many songs, tv shows, movies on as I want to. I do love the iPhone but it's most def to each his own.
    08-03-09 11:53 PM
    I actually have that same problem, but I don't mind because I have a nice surround sound system in my home, my car, and my truck. There for I have one of apples largest storage capable i pods. The last thing I want is my music on my PHONE!!! Can you imagine how annoying that would be?
    08-03-09 11:56 PM
    [/B]

Absolutely. If I knew people that had BBM and used it all the time then yea it would be more beneficial. If you can cut costs by doing that then more power to you.

I just feel like the Blackberry gets old sometimes and boring. The iPhone is always fresh because of the apps. If it weren't for the app, while the device would still be revolutionary, it wouldn't be as fresh and the ability to keep it fresh wouldn't be there. I got bored with the Bold after a few weeks and I had to constantly check the app memory so that I didn't put too many apps on it. Now I have 16GB of space I could put as many apps on as I want, and have as many songs, tv shows, movies on as I want to. I do love the iPhone but it's most def to each his own.
    The i phone is hardly revolutionary. touch screen technology has been around long before apple decided to do anything with it on phone. I have used an i phone, yuck.
    08-03-09 11:59 PM
    I actually like the keyboard for the most part. I do not use the horizontal landscape keyboard unless I am writing an e-mail that is lengthy. I have big fingers so sometimes I am hitting keys I don't want to so that is frustrating at times but for the most part, I like the keyboard.

FWIW, on my last cell bill, I sent/received 3279 text messages. So I do text a lot myself.
    There is no sure press technology on the i phone making it a messy type. I phone users are on the delete button constantly.
    08-04-09 12:01 AM

Thats good to hear I guess, it makes it easier choosing a phone. From the looks of it spec wise and everything it seems like the 3Gs beats most blackberry's out there. I just wish there was a way I can try out both for a while for free lol seeing how I'm so short on money.
    08-04-09 12:12 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD