View Poll Results: What platform is better for messaging?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • iPhone, hands down

12 17.14%
  • BlackBerry, hands down

43 61.43%
  • Tie

6 8.57%
  • BlackBerry, but the iPhone will be superior after 3.0

8 11.43%
  • iPhone, but the BlackBerry will be superior after 3.0

0 0%
  • Other (Explain)

1 1.43%
    there is the option to deconsolidate your messages with your Berry. leaf through the manual. apparently you have alot to learn.
    I've been using BB's for 3 years! I can't have that much to learn. I do know that you have them seperate. I like having together, but sometimes I have a messages or 2 that I don't want with the rest of my messages but all the rest I want together.
    05-26-09 12:18 PM
    So far, the data collected by the poll does not support that statement.
    Well thats probably because there isn't an option with *After Jailbreak* on it, which is what I was referring too when I said "5 minute procedure". Also, we're on Crackberry.com... most of the people that voted probably haven't used an iPhone, but would feel unsatisfied with their purchase knowing that the iToy was more capable than their option filled Blackberry on a poll in their home forums.
    05-26-09 10:30 PM
    Most of us that are viewing this poll would probably like to take into consideration that an iphone can match the capabilities of a blackberry witha simple 5 minute procedure.
    most of the people that voted probably haven't used an iPhone, but would feel unsatisfied with their purchase knowing that the iToy was more capable than their option filled Blackberry on a poll in their home forums.
    You're contradicting yourself. Would the people here consider that the iPhone could match the BlackBerry with a "simple" jailbreak (which isn't the entire operation, you then have to then acquire and install the software which brings BlackBerry level messaging capabilities to the iPhone) or wouldn't they?

It really doesn't matter though. Maybe most people here would probably "take into consideration that an iphone can match the capabilities of a blackberry witha simple 5 minute procedure," but most normal users would not. The normal users -- the people who go to their local carrier all intent on getting a flashy iPhone or BlackBerry -- want to open the box and have it WORK. And in that situation the iPhone simply does not work as well as the BlackBerry when it comes to messaging.

It's certainly *capable* of it, but it's not there yet. When all the features you can install on a jailbroken iPhone are standard, or if OS 3.0 is released with all the promises that Apple is hyping, it probably will be. Until then? The iPhone just. doesn't. have. it.
    05-27-09 07:51 AM
    My experience is that th bb is because I don't think that the iphone can email and sms at the same time. So therefore I believe the bb is better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 07:57 AM
    If Apple would release a Qwerty version and come up with something equivalent to BBMessenger then I would try an iPhone with MobileMe. I love Macs and know that Apple makes great products. However I have found that BBMessenger is essential because it allows quick, reliable txt communications anywhere in the world where data coverage is available. I have used BBM to talk to coworkers in some crazy areas like Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Vietnam, etc. Txt messaging internationally is so unreliable and slow.
    05-27-09 09:03 AM
    i thought BBs were full of **** when i first got my bold but as soon as i got used to it there was no more going back to the bold
    05-27-09 09:46 AM
    You owe me a dollar. I'm running v4.2.2.180, which is exactly what my Curve 8320 came with straight out of the box. My son's Pearl 8100 is also on its carrier-released OS, and my previous BlackBerry -- an 8700g -- is *still* on its carrier-released OS.

I'm an I.T. guy that supports Microsoft Windows. I'm inherently leery of OS upgrades of any kind. Even on my iPhone and Macs I don't do OS upgrades until several weeks have passed and I am sure there aren't any major issues. I tend to stick with what works, not what's new and flashy.

So, yeah, if the only way that you can make an iPhone beat out a BlackBerry for messaging at this point is to either jailbreak it or "upgrade" to a beta OS... sorry, dude, you lost. We'll revisit the issue after OS 3.0 is released to the general public.
    I can still mail you the dollar, but I was referring to current OS for your carrier. Something doesn't add up... You're on AT&T with an 8320 on 4.2.2.180. Unlocked 8320? or T-mobile's 4.2 OS? Either way, it's just like jailbreaking (iPhone) or upgrading your OS (BlackBerry) to me. I'm leaning towards unlocked berry and not too many people do that either :P
    05-28-09 12:32 AM
    So far, the data collected by the poll does not support that statement.
    This is a BlackBerry website -- the poll isn't serious, I'm looking for comments. There are more votes for BlackBerry, hands down than total responses in the thread. Even if you don't upgrade your OS, at least 90% of the active members (that 16/17 of those votes actually upgraded their OS) do, so why can't jailbreaking be part of it? You're a minority when it comes to not upgrading (minus those that are scared to, but want to).
    05-28-09 12:40 AM
    I neither Jailbreak my iPhone nor install non-official OS releases (I use a Mac so I can only install an OS through wireless upgrade) so I voted and commented assuming current official OS on both platforms.
    05-28-09 01:37 AM
    I don't care what it is, even the BB Storm, I will never go back to a touchscreen phone. I love the feel of real keys.
    05-28-09 06:31 AM
    Unlocked 8320?
    It's unlocked.

Either way, it's just like jailbreaking (iPhone) or upgrading your OS (BlackBerry) to me.
    Hmm.

From what I've heard they're not. To unlock my BlackBerry I got an unlock code and typed it in. Viola. So maybe I'm misunderstanding the iPhone jailbreak process. Let me ask you these questions before I go on:

Can you unlock an iPhone for multiple carriers, as I unlocked my BlackBerry, without jailbreaking it?

If you can simply unlock an iPhone for multiple carriers without a jailbreak, is it done by entering an unlock code on the iPhone?

When you jailbreak an iPhone, does all the functionality that you mentioned above automatically appear? Or do you have to install additional software?

Finally, if you must jailbreak your iPhone to unlock it for multiple carriers, can you obtain the tools to do so from your provider or Apple?
    05-28-09 09:44 AM
    I think Blackberry wins right now (everything except the Storm) with ease of messaging. But if we were to compare touchscreen to touchscreen, the iPhone wins hands down. I mean comparing a QWERTY keypad on a blackberry to any touchscreen will most likely yield the same ease of use results. But beyond that, I prefer the iPhone. Threaded SMS and real HTML email. Once 3.0 comes out and the landscape keyboard, my Bold will offically go in the drawer.
    05-28-09 11:11 AM
    It's unlocked.

Hmm.

From what I've heard they're not. To unlock my BlackBerry I got an unlock code and typed it in. Viola. So maybe I'm misunderstanding the iPhone jailbreak process. Let me ask you these questions before I go on:

Can you unlock an iPhone for multiple carriers, as I unlocked my BlackBerry, without jailbreaking it?

If you can simply unlock an iPhone for multiple carriers without a jailbreak, is it done by entering an unlock code on the iPhone?

When you jailbreak an iPhone, does all the functionality that you mentioned above automatically appear? Or do you have to install additional software?

Finally, if you must jailbreak your iPhone to unlock it for multiple carriers, can you obtain the tools to do so from your provider or Apple?
    My point may have flown over your head... the fact that it is unlocked, it isn't something a lot of users do -- like jailbreaking and OS upgrading since your point was that I can't put jailbreaking and OS upgrades in the equation.

The other point is that most of those users you are referring to aren't on these forums.

Another point is that, I can jailbreak my device faster than T-mobile can give you an unlock code. Heck, it's even faster than getting it from an un-locker online.

Another reason why the voting is skewed is due to the fact most users voting don't use both devices on a consistent basis.
    05-28-09 07:02 PM
    I think Blackberry wins right now (everything except the Storm) with ease of messaging. But if we were to compare touchscreen to touchscreen, the iPhone wins hands down. I mean comparing a QWERTY keypad on a blackberry to any touchscreen will most likely yield the same ease of use results. But beyond that, I prefer the iPhone. Threaded SMS and real HTML email. Once 3.0 comes out and the landscape keyboard, my Bold will offically go in the drawer.
    The keyboard is physical... I was referring to software as I prefer the iPhone's kb to any physical kb. I am really referring to the UI and functionality from the messaging part of the device.
    05-28-09 07:07 PM
    My point may have flown over your head...
    No, I got your point. But to *me*, unlocking a BB is not even in the same ballpark. To *me*, there are similar risks inherent with both jailbreaking and installing a new OS that don't apply to a simple unlocking.

Now, that could be my misunderstanding of the jailbreaking process and I'm willing to admit that. Which is why I asked for your clarification... you being a frequent jailbreaker and all. And I'm not saying that sarcastically, either.
    05-28-09 09:20 PM
    No, I got your point. But to *me*, unlocking a BB is not even in the same ballpark. To *me*, there are similar risks inherent with both jailbreaking and installing a new OS that don't apply to a simple unlocking.

Now, that could be my misunderstanding of the jailbreaking process and I'm willing to admit that. Which is why I asked for your clarification... you being a frequent jailbreaker and all. And I'm not saying that sarcastically, either.
    I don't jailbreak; 3.0 is cool enough. Jailbreaking takes less than 5 minutes, in fact, I just did a friend of mine in 2 1/2 mins at the half of the game I was watching. Unlocking will not work this fast.

The real point though is how can you say no to jailbreaking and 3.0 being in the equation due to this not being commonly used if you are also using a process that isn't commonly done to devices. The other part to my point is that this is CrackBerry.com where it is common and normal to jailbreak/upgrade an OS, so they should be counted.
    05-28-09 11:07 PM
    I don't jailbreak ... I just did a friend of mine in 2 1/2 mins at the half of the game I was watching.
    You're either contradicting yourself or talking about something I don't want to know about.

The real point though is how can you say no to jailbreaking and 3.0 being in the equation due to this not being commonly used if you are also using a process that isn't commonly done to devices.
    I'm trying to answer that, but before I do I want to make sure that what I understand to be the jailbreaking process is, in fact, representative of the jailbreaking process. Thus my questions above.

Is there some reason you're avoiding answering them?

EDIT

You know what? I'll go ahead and capitulate that unlocking a BlackBerry ranks right up there with jailbreaking an iPhone or installing leaked betas on a BlackBerry. And I'll also go ahead and say that we shouldn't include unlocked BlackBerries just as we shouldn't include jailbroken iPhones or BlackBerries running leaked OSs. So we can get right past that and you can put me in the group of people who do unlock, jailbreak, or beta their device.

Either way... that doesn't really change my point, does it? My point being that out of the box, the iPhone is not as good for messaging as is the BlackBerry. That most non-Crackberry members -- the general public, the general iPhone and BlackBerry users -- aren't going to unlock, jailbreak, or beta their devices. That outside of these "enthusiast" forums, most people just want to buy their chosen device, take it home, and just have it work, and that in that circumstance the BlackBerry is a better messaging platform.

The fact that I unlocked my own BlackBerry has no bearing whatsoever on my position.

Again, though, my position does state that when OS 3.0 is actually released, and Joe User can download it freely from Apple via iTunes and install it on their iPhone, that BlackBerry as the best messaging platform might become a thing of the past. I can't say yet; most people don't have OS 3.0 and won't have it until Apple does release it.
    Last edited by iamtim; 05-28-09 at 11:42 PM.
    05-28-09 11:29 PM
    The keyboard is physical... I was referring to software as I prefer the iPhone's kb to any physical kb. I am really referring to the UI and functionality from the messaging part of the device.
    Gotcha. But the physical parts affect the functionality. It doesn't matter how slick the UI is, if typing sucks on it then functionality isn't there. But I get what you're saying. From a purely aesthetic point of view, iPhone is better. But like I said, when 3.0 hits and the landscape keyboard is available, then its functionality (which isn't that much off of blackberry IMO) will surpass it. But hey, that's just me.
    05-29-09 08:09 AM
    i'm going with blackberry because of BBM.

x1000

nothing beats the bbm... as much as people like the iphone it seriously lacks in the messaging dept... i traded up for a bb within a few months...

i dont know how much better it will get with landscape messaging... really touch screen is cool but nothing beats buttons.... plus that stupidly small 'send' button on the iphone...
    05-30-09 09:10 AM
    But most people *don't* jailbreak their iPhones. As a matter of fact, I'd wager that only a very, very small percentage of iPhone users jailbreak their phone. *I* don't even jailbreak my iPhone.
    ???? most people?? i just read an article in the NYT that says that more than 60% of iphone users are jailbroken ( millions of people)
    and that the fact that you can jailbreak the phone drives people to buy it.....
    05-30-09 09:16 AM
    For me hands down BlackBerry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-09 09:30 AM
    i just read an article in the NYT that says that more than 60% of iphone users are jailbroken
    Do you have a link for that story?
    05-30-09 12:13 PM
    Do you have a link for that story?
    I found this article, posted 3 days ago. It doesn't prove his %, but it does show a significant amount of users that jailbroke for the week of 5/17.

What Percentage of iPhones Are Jailbroken? Less Than 10 Percent? — Just Another iPhone Blog
    05-30-09 02:56 PM
    There's hardly any jailbroken iPhones. I remember seeing an article and it was low...under 10% I believe.
    05-30-09 03:38 PM
    I found this article, posted 3 days ago. It doesn't prove his %, but it does show a significant amount of users that jailbroke for the week of 5/17.

What Percentage of iPhones Are Jailbroken? Less Than 10 Percent? — Just Another iPhone Blog
    Oh, I didn't see this, so I was right. It is less than 10%.
    05-30-09 03:38 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD