View Poll Results: What platform is better for messaging?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • iPhone, hands down

12 17.14%
  • BlackBerry, hands down

43 61.43%
  • Tie

6 8.57%
  • BlackBerry, but the iPhone will be superior after 3.0

8 11.43%
  • iPhone, but the BlackBerry will be superior after 3.0

0 0%
  • Other (Explain)

1 1.43%
    Which one do you think is better for messaging? Prior to 3.0 and after 3.0 (in case the answer is different).

Edit: Keep in mind jailbreaking brings all the important things that BlackBerry has in reference to messaging, even prior to 3.
    05-25-09 07:10 PM
    Once the IPhone goes to 3.0, texting will be MUCH easier on the iphone. I've already become accustomed to using it as it is, but it will be even easier once its in landscape.
    05-25-09 07:29 PM
    i'm going with blackberry because of BBM.
    05-25-09 07:45 PM
    BB. MSN and gtalk and others run in the background BBM is also BB only. I liked the texting on the iphone, but dang it was hard to even think about texting while on a bumpy car ride.
    05-25-09 07:45 PM
    I type faster on the iPhone and like threaded SMS much better than the current BB system. Although BBs do have BBM, that is just for BBs though. Texting on the iPhone (for me) is 10x easier and faster than my Bold.
    05-25-09 07:50 PM
    I voted BlackBerry. The interface on the iPhone is attractive and simple, but lacking in features. The BlackBerry is loaded with features. You can save messages, you have different folders, you can search through everything, etc and IMO, it's not exactly an "ugly" looking interface. I'd take this anyday over the iPhone's, even after 3.0 considering the fact that I have 3.0 on my iPhone and know what it's like and how it works.
    05-25-09 08:00 PM
    I said other.

Right now, BlackBerry wins hands down. No one knows which will be superior after iPhone OS 3.0 because iPhone OS 3.0 is in beta, and, as beta software can change at Apple's whim. So that remains to be seen.
    05-25-09 08:02 PM
    They each have their advantages. BB's have the consolidated inbox, which is nice, but sometimes gets annoying. It's nice because you don't have to go in to all the different apps. It does get annoying though because sometimes you don't want to have everything in one place. The iPhone is nice because all the IM apps have very nice graphics. It does get annoying to have to go in to all the different apps for different types of messages.
    05-25-09 08:14 PM
    I would have to Vote for the Iphone! I love my Iphone. I was very very good with typing on the Iphone, I was at such a level that I wouldn't even look while texting some times. Notice I say SOME TIMES *LOL.
    My BB-Bold is awesome as well, I've gotten used to it by now. I love the MMS available on my BB-Bold. It's a great Business like phone.
    I personally have Both, Blackberry for Business. Iphone for fun and pleasure! Nothing compares to the Iphone for surfing the Web, At least No phone I've ever had!
    05-25-09 08:45 PM
    I updated... to add in jailbreaking.
    05-25-09 10:18 PM
    I voted for Blackberry, hands down.

I can type pretty fast on my iTouch now but I still hate the touchscreen keyboard. I much prefer the physical keyboard.

Also, I like how the inboxes on BB are set up compared with the iPhone. It seems cleaner and more organized.
    05-25-09 10:27 PM
    I voted for Blackberry, hands down.

I can type pretty fast on my iTouch now but I still hate the touchscreen keyboard. I much prefer the physical keyboard.

Also, I like how the inboxes on BB are set up compared with the iPhone. It seems cleaner and more organized.
    +1 Blackberry, hands down...
    05-25-09 10:31 PM
    Evidently this poll was created as a place for me to answer Duvi's question from this post.

Without 3.0, my question was how is it [meaning messaging on the BlackBerry when compared to messaging on the iPhone] better... still yet to be answered.
    Here's what I posted in reply:

iPhone: no MMS.
    BlackBerry: MMS.

iPhone: no search.
    BlackBerry: search.

iPhone: no unified inbox.
    BlackBerry: both unified and separate.

iPhone: on-screen keyboard, no tactile response or touch-typing.
    BlackBerry: full (if small) keyboard with tactile response and touch-typing (albeit only with one or two fingers.)

iPhone: bring your own e-mail account or pay for the current equivalent of .Mac service.
    BlackBerry: free device-specific e-mail address.
    Now, back to this thread.

Edit: Keep in mind jailbreaking brings all the important things that BlackBerry has in reference to messaging, even prior to 3.
    But most people *don't* jailbreak their iPhones. As a matter of fact, I'd wager that only a very, very small percentage of iPhone users jailbreak their phone. *I* don't even jailbreak my iPhone.

If you are honestly going to poll which is better for messaging, you really can't include things like beta releases of the OS or jailbroken phones, because neither are the standard iPhone with which a generic consumer would walk out of an Apple or AT&T store. It has to be out of the box vs. out of the box.

At least, IMHO.
    05-25-09 10:48 PM
    They each have their advantages. BB's have the consolidated inbox, which is nice, but sometimes gets annoying. It's nice because you don't have to go in to all the different apps. It does get annoying though because sometimes you don't want to have everything in one place. The iPhone is nice because all the IM apps have very nice graphics. It does get annoying to have to go in to all the different apps for different types of messages.
    there is the option to deconsolidate your messages with your Berry. leaf through the manual. apparently you have alot to learn.
    05-25-09 11:11 PM
    there is the option to deconsolidate your messages with your Berry.
    Yup. From Messages bring up the context menu, choose Options, General Options, and set SMS and Email Inboxes to Theme Controlled, Combined, or Separate.
    Last edited by iamtim; 05-25-09 at 11:51 PM.
    05-25-09 11:48 PM
    Evidently this poll was created as a place for me to answer Duvi's question from this post.

Here's what I posted in reply:

Now, back to this thread.

But most people *don't* jailbreak their iPhones. As a matter of fact, I'd wager that only a very, very small percentage of iPhone users jailbreak their phone. *I* don't even jailbreak my iPhone.

If you are honestly going to poll which is better for messaging, you really can't include things like beta releases of the OS or jailbroken phones, because neither are the standard iPhone with which a generic consumer would walk out of an Apple or AT&T store. It has to be out of the box vs. out of the box.

At least, IMHO.
    Whether it's popular or not, it's an option. If someone goes to an iPhone site and says they want this, this and that... they will be told to jailbreak.

It takes me about 2-5 minutes to jailbreak... how long does it take to upgrade OS on a BlackBerry? Although you're taking illegal/unreleased OSes out, I can bet my bottom dollar you do not have your carrier's released OS.
    05-26-09 12:39 AM
    I've recently moved from a Blackberry Storm to an iPhone and to me it feels like the Blackberry is a more mature messaging platform.

It has BBM, tried and tested server side push accounts. (There have been some issues for iPhone MobileMe customers recently.)

That said the iPhone is "good enough" for me on the messaging. The everything else about the iPhone works better for me than any of the Blackberry devices I've had previously.
    05-26-09 02:47 AM
    I join in. I used to love texting on iphone was so quick. Storm sucked for me texting, althought its simple to get used to i made a lot of mistakes. Awaitng my bold which should make texting so much more easier.
    05-26-09 03:04 AM
    I can bet my bottom dollar you do not have your carrier's released OS.
    You owe me a dollar. I'm running v4.2.2.180, which is exactly what my Curve 8320 came with straight out of the box. My son's Pearl 8100 is also on its carrier-released OS, and my previous BlackBerry -- an 8700g -- is *still* on its carrier-released OS.

I'm an I.T. guy that supports Microsoft Windows. I'm inherently leery of OS upgrades of any kind. Even on my iPhone and Macs I don't do OS upgrades until several weeks have passed and I am sure there aren't any major issues. I tend to stick with what works, not what's new and flashy.

So, yeah, if the only way that you can make an iPhone beat out a BlackBerry for messaging at this point is to either jailbreak it or "upgrade" to a beta OS... sorry, dude, you lost. We'll revisit the issue after OS 3.0 is released to the general public.
    05-26-09 09:10 AM
    You owe me a dollar. I'm running v4.2.2.180, which is exactly what my Curve 8320 came with straight out of the box. My son's Pearl 8100 is also on its carrier-released OS, and my previous BlackBerry -- an 8700g -- is *still* on its carrier-released OS.

I'm an I.T. guy that supports Microsoft Windows. I'm inherently leery of OS upgrades of any kind. Even on my iPhone and Macs I don't do OS upgrades until several weeks have passed and I am sure there aren't any major issues. I tend to stick with what works, not what's new and flashy.

So, yeah, if the only way that you can make an iPhone beat out a BlackBerry for messaging at this point is to either jailbreak it or "upgrade" to a beta OS... sorry, dude, you lost. We'll revisit the issue after OS 3.0 is released to the general public.
    You sound like an inherently uninteresting and old IT guy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 09:22 AM
    You sound like an inherently uninteresting and old IT guy.
    Some might call it curmudgeonly. But most people in the industry would call it sound decision making, especially when you have a global enterprise riding on your shoulders which depends on the systems you support remaining reliable and available.
    05-26-09 09:30 AM
    Some might call it curmudgeonly. But most people in the industry would call it sound decision making, especially when you have a global enterprise riding on your shoulders which depends on the systems you support remaining reliable and available.
    Which I would consider perfectly understandable... But not taking into consideration features that are provided by available and most of the time stable OSs isn't grounds to tell someone they've lost. He was making a perfectly valid point that it takes a user about 5 minutes to jailbreak an iphone, but most users on this site won't consider those features even though they use beta OSs on their blackberries. It doesn't make sense.

05-26-09 09:42 AM
    He was making a perfectly valid point that it takes a user about 5 minutes to jailbreak an iphone
    But this discussion isn't about "what can you do to make the iPhone a messaging contender to the BlackBerry," or "how long does it take to jailbreak an iPhone." It's about "which is better for messaging: the iPhone or the BlackBerry."

If he wants to include things like OS 3.0 or jailbreaking, that's fine, but then the poll should be, "which is better for messaging: a jailbroken iPhone running the OS 3.0 beta, or a BlackBerry." Or have three polls: one for BB vs. iPhone, one for BB vs. jailbroken iPhone, and one for BB vs. OS 3.0 iPhone.

Because I tell you... when I made the comments which started this instance of the debate back in the other thread I was not talking about a jailbroken iPhone, nor an iPhone running OS 3.0, nor a BlackBerry on a beta OS (or, really, any other OS than the carrier-provided OS). I was talking about an out-of-the-box BlackBerry and an out-of-the-box iPhone. And for that, I hold to one thing: if, at this point, the only way you can make an iPhone a serious messaging contender to the BlackBerry is by installing the OS 3.0 beta or by jailbreaking the phone and installing a bunch of non-Apple apps, then the iPhone has lost. For now. Because most users won't do either of those, period.

And please remember, I have a 16gb iPhone 3G, and before that I had a 4gb iPhone. I like the iPhone and I am an "Apple guy"; I run a MacBook at work (with Parallels for Windows) and a Mac at home. So I'm not dissing on the iPhone.
    05-26-09 10:12 AM
    Back to my original point. Sure. That makes sense if we were all coming to crackberry.com to be basic users with out of the box functionality, but chances are were not. I would completely agree with your statements if I was one of your coworkers trying to make things as simple as possible for sarah in accounting, but again most of us do not fall into that category. Most of us that are viewing this poll would probably like to take into consideration that an iphone can match the capabilities of a blackberry witha simple 5 minute procedure. Not only would the iphone be successfull as a multimedia phone but also as a messaging phone. I think that may be something that we should take into account.

Last edited by S3th13; 05-26-09 at 11:41 AM.
    05-26-09 11:39 AM
    Most of us that are viewing this poll would probably like to take into consideration that an iphone can match the capabilities of a blackberry witha simple 5 minute procedure.
    So far, the data collected by the poll does not support that statement.
    05-26-09 11:56 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD