I guess I'm the odd-man out here. I wanted the iPhone experience and physical keyboard so I ended up going Android instead. LED light and all. I find it has the best of the both worlds---but also brings a new set of annoyances along with it, like some buggy apps. Just have to check the reviews/star ratings before downloading. Battery life is also 'ok' at best.
    Yeah there are a couple things keeping me from Android. The buggy experience at times, menu heavy/overkill OS and power management. I've read in several places that Google is looking to simplify the OS more instead of all the menu options and choices. It'll still be more than iOS but less than current OS versions. I'm looking forward to that. And I've always had one of the top tier Android devices and the performance from day to day would vary. Didn't like that much. Same with the battery. Some days it's ok and others it's terrible. Until the OS is refined, I'll stick with iOS and continue to test devices as they come out.
    05-13-11 11:27 AM
    I switched from the Torch to the iPhone 4 and haven't really looked back. Do miss the LED light, and the battery life is better on the Torch but for what I use the phone for, the iPhone just works better for me at this point.
    05-13-11 11:18 PM
    After having my iPhone 4 for a little over a week now, I do miss the led light, but that's the only thing that I've missed thus far.
    05-15-11 01:35 PM
    I'd imagine for those people that never tried an iPhone but still continue to say bad things about it, if you just hand them one (or an iPod touch) and just walk away, they'll be hooked as well . I know Apple got me with an iPod touch. I was firmly against the iPhone back in 2008 and was BB all day. Bought a Mac and got an iPod touch for free and it was over for BB from there.

A lot of people don't understand, that it's not just the novelty but the functionality. It's far from perfect but when compared to other devices/platforms, none give you the same quality in almost every area. From ease of use, battery life, applications, functionality, multimedia capabilities and form factor, no other device can give such high quality in all these areas.
    This^. The iPhone is the best "overall" performing smartphone there ever was. It does everything and in most areas it is the best at doing those things. And it is the best looking. Just saying.
    09-18-11 10:19 AM
    This^. The iPhone is the best "overall" performing smartphone there ever was. It does everything and in most areas it is the best at doing those things. And it is the best looking. Just saying.
    Haha you have the iPhone now?

iPhone 5 soon.
    09-18-11 01:15 PM
    Yeah there are a couple things keeping me from Android. The buggy experience at times, menu heavy/overkill OS and power management. I've read in several places that Google is looking to simplify the OS more instead of all the menu options and choices. It'll still be more than iOS but less than current OS versions. I'm looking forward to that. And I've always had one of the top tier Android devices and the performance from day to day would vary. Didn't like that much. Same with the battery. Some days it's ok and others it's terrible. Until the OS is refined, I'll stick with iOS and continue to test devices as they come out.
    Just converted from Android to iP4. After contemplating it for MONTHS, I finally made the switch. That was one of my biggest issues with Android - the bugginess and variance of performance from day to day. I still miss Android and have definitely contemplated going back. I miss the LED, I miss the notification bar, I miss having a calendar widget and being able to have different ringtones for everything. But I will be the first to admit that the iP4 works much better.

I've used a DX, D3, Inc2 and I think the original DX was the best of that bunch. I debated on using a Bionic (actually purchased one and will most likely be selling it). But I like how the iP4 just works right, so I don't know if I'll be switiching anytime soon. Or I may be like you and just test stuff when it comes out.

I don't understand the email argument either. I get emails instantaneously, they aren't truncated, attachments magically appear on their own, etc. Unless you NEED a BB for your job, I honestly don't see why anyone would use one anymore.
    09-18-11 06:54 PM
    Just converted from Android to iP4. After contemplating it for MONTHS, I finally made the switch. That was one of my biggest issues with Android - the bugginess and variance of performance from day to day. I still miss Android and have definitely contemplated going back. I miss the LED, I miss the notification bar, I miss having a calendar widget and being able to have different ringtones for everything. But I will be the first to admit that the iP4 works much better.

I've used a DX, D3, Inc2 and I think the original DX was the best of that bunch. I debated on using a Bionic (actually purchased one and will most likely be selling it). But I like how the iP4 just works right, so I don't know if I'll be switiching anytime soon. Or I may be like you and just test stuff when it comes out.

I don't understand the email argument either. I get emails instantaneously, they aren't truncated, attachments magically appear on their own, etc. Unless you NEED a BB for your job, I honestly don't see why anyone would use one anymore.
    Because the overall email handling is not as good as BES?

I know it's me, but I don't use native email on the ipad. I use webmail for every website's email. I don't like the native email handling compared to my blackberry, which I can zip through looking for emails I need. On the ipad, I hunt and peck; and after almost 5 months I am not a noob.
    09-18-11 07:02 PM
    Haha you have the iPhone now?

iPhone 5 soon.
    Had to dust it off. Was going back and forth with Androids and BBs for a while. But you know me, it won't last for long. Actually have been looking at the Galaxy S II. We will see.
    09-18-11 07:10 PM
    Had to dust it off. Was going back and forth with Androids and BBs for a while. But you know me, it won't last for long. Actually have been looking at the Galaxy S II. We will see.
    Haha no doubt. The SGS2 is a very nice device as well.
    09-18-11 07:29 PM
    I came from a BB9800-->SGS2-->iPhone 4 and I do miss the led notification and bbm but thats it. iPhone gives such a polished experience that it made the superior spec'd SGS2 feel lacking.
    09-19-11 03:57 AM
    Because the overall email handling is not as good as BES?

I know it's me, but I don't use native email on the ipad. I use webmail for every website's email. I don't like the native email handling compared to my blackberry, which I can zip through looking for emails I need. On the ipad, I hunt and peck; and after almost 5 months I am not a noob.
    I said unless you need it for your job, which is where BES comes in. The average consumer doesn't need the BB's claim to fame anymore. The majority of consumers want apps and a functioning phone. Having email is a plus and a bonus. That's what I was getting at. Android and iPhone have comparable email clients to BB that work pretty well. I don't have this "hunt and peck" issue on either Android or iPhone that you're talking about.

I understand why people have BlackBerries. They are great messaging devices. But for the majority of users, they seem obsolete and outdated. That's what I was getting at.

I know it's me, but I love having attachments download automatically and I love not having truncated messages.
    09-19-11 09:33 AM
    I said unless you need it for your job, which is where BES comes in. The average consumer doesn't need the BB's claim to fame anymore. The majority of consumers want apps and a functioning phone. Having email is a plus and a bonus. That's what I was getting at. Android and iPhone have comparable email clients to BB that work pretty well. I don't have this "hunt and peck" issue on either Android or iPhone that you're talking about.

I understand why people have BlackBerries. They are great messaging devices. But for the majority of users, they seem obsolete and outdated. That's what I was getting at.

I know it's me, but I love having attachments download automatically and I love not having truncated messages.
    Even it I didn't need it for my job, I would still not get an iphone as my primary phone. I don't like the voice quality or the email handling. Did you miss the part in my post where I said I use webmail because I don't like the email handling?

The iphones "claim to fame" is the apps and that's it. I'm not anti-apple as I have an ipad and therefore a baseline for comparison.

I understand why people like the iphone, there are a lot of apps to choose from, but I have more apps on my bb than on my ipad. The iphone as a phone is just okay. I don't care what the stock price is.
    09-19-11 09:38 AM
    Even it I didn't need it for my job, I would still not get an iphone as my primary phone. I don't like the voice quality or the email handling. Did you miss the part in my post where I said I use webmail because I don't like the email handling?

The iphones "claim to fame" is the apps and that's it. I'm not anti-apple as I have an ipad and therefore a baseline for comparison.

I understand why people like the iphone, there are a lot of apps to choose from, but I have more apps on my bb than on my ipad. The iphone as a phone is just okay. I don't care what the stock price is.
    Oh, I'm not an Apple Fanboy at all. Heck, I've only had one for about a week. It's got its huge downfalls (notifications for one, I could go on for days on how terrible they are). I don't have any issue with call quality, though. I don't know if my area is just good, but my calls are crystal clear. My wife has a Droid 3 (coming from a 9650) and she sounds much better on the phone now than she did before.

The iPhone does care a lot about apps, but the average consumer does too, so it sells. My one thing that I love about the iPhone over BB and Android is that it rarely lags. It does a little, but nothing like any BB or Android I've had. And I had an 8830, 9530, 9550, a Droid X, Droid 3, Droid Incredible 2. They all lagged and slowed down much more than the iPhone. So I do have some comparison.

I'm not trying to get into an iPhone v. Android v. BB battle. They all have their good sides and bad sides. You just have to find what works for you. But I do see why BB is considerably lagging behind Android and iPhone.

And if I appeared to get into a Lord of the Phones argument (One Phone To Rule Them All!!!) - then my apologies.
    09-19-11 09:53 AM
    Oh, I'm not an Apple Fanboy at all. Heck, I've only had one for about a week. It's got its huge downfalls (notifications for one, I could go on for days on how terrible they are).
    iOS 5 fixes that. I would not be able to go back to iOS 4 now. Been running iOS 5 since beta 1 and it is great.
    09-19-11 10:17 AM
    iOS 5 fixes that. I would not be able to go back to iOS 4 now. Been running iOS 5 since beta 1 and it is great.
    Yeah, I've read up on iOS 5 and am really looking forward to some nice added features. I'd really like to be able to click off a text when I'm in the middle of doing something, and it let me know that I've still got an unread text available when I get back to my homescreen. That drives me nuts...you either respond to it right now and then have to go back to what you're doing, or you click it off and then possibly forget that it was even there in the first place.

But for now, most people aren't really in the "know" about iOS 5, so just basing my opinion on what is widely available, the notifications suck something awful.
    09-19-11 10:35 AM
    Yeah, I've read up on iOS 5 and am really looking forward to some nice added features. I'd really like to be able to click off a text when I'm in the middle of doing something, and it let me know that I've still got an unread text available when I get back to my homescreen. That drives me nuts...you either respond to it right now and then have to go back to what you're doing, or you click it off and then possibly forget that it was even there in the first place.

But for now, most people aren't really in the "know" about iOS 5, so just basing my opinion on what is widely available, the notifications suck something awful.
    On iOS 5, texts bring up a notification on the top of the screen with a preview (if you want it). You can choose to ignore it and it will just go away by itself, or you can click it and it will bring you right to the text. If you ignore it, the badge will still be on the Messaging app, and a notification will still remain in the drop down menu. Not to mention there are lock screen notifications. All of these features can be seen on screen shots.

Here is the drop down bar...don't mind the text

dropscreen.jpg picture by SilentShot - Photobucket

Lock screen

lockscreen.jpg picture by SilentShot - Photobucket

On the lock screen, all you have to do is drag the icon to the right (of the notification you want to open) like you are unlocking the device and it brings you right to the app.
    09-19-11 11:04 AM
    On iOS 5, texts bring up a notification on the top of the screen with a preview (if you want it). You can choose to ignore it and it will just go away by itself, or you can click it and it will bring you right to the text. If you ignore it, the badge will still be on the Messaging app, and a notification will still remain in the drop down menu. Not to mention there are lock screen notifications. All of these features can be seen on screen shots.

Here is the drop down bar...don't mind the text

dropscreen.jpg picture by SilentShot - Photobucket

Lock screen

lockscreen.jpg picture by SilentShot - Photobucket

On the lock screen, all you have to do is drag the icon to the right (of the notification you want to open) like you are unlocking the device and it brings you right to the app.
    Thanks for the head's up! That looks pretty damn nice. Not to completely hijack this thread, but I'm interested in checking out this Beta stuff. Any way you can point me in the direction of how to download and install this? Thanks!
    09-19-11 11:07 AM
    Thanks for the head's up! That looks pretty damn nice. Not to completely hijack this thread, but I'm interested in checking out this Beta stuff. Any way you can point me in the direction of how to download and install this? Thanks!
    You need to be a developer or have your devices UDID registered by a developer to install it on your device. IMO right now it would not be worth it to install the beta. Several developers got in trouble for registering peoples UDIDs and a developer account costs $100 I believe.
    09-19-11 11:37 AM
    You need to be a developer or have your devices UDID registered by a developer to install it on your device. IMO right now it would not be worth it to install the beta. Several developers got in trouble for registering peoples UDIDs and a developer account costs $100 I believe.
    Why pay 100 dollars just to check out beta software?
    09-19-11 12:01 PM
    Why pay 100 dollars just to check out beta software?
    I don't know. I only paid $3. You pay $100 for a developer account. I wouldn't pay $100 for the developer account just to see a beta. Some did this though and then sold off one of their 100 UDID registration slots and made their money back and then some. I paid a developer $3 for a slot. IMO it was well worth it for four months of beta access on a beta that doesn't really feel like a beta. iOS 5 beta 7 (basically 1-6 as well) is more smooth than any official BB OS release or Android release. $3 is nothing.
    09-19-11 12:28 PM
    Thanks! I didn't know you had to pay. Definitely just going to wait out the final release, which looks like it could be coming soon.
    09-19-11 12:33 PM
    Thanks! I didn't know you had to pay. Definitely just going to wait out the final release, which looks like it could be coming soon.
    Yea it is not worth it now. I paid $3 back in June so I definitely got my moneys worth.lol
    09-19-11 01:03 PM
    I don't know. I only paid $3. You pay $100 for a developer account. I wouldn't pay $100 for the developer account just to see a beta. Some did this though and then sold off one of their 100 UDID registration slots and made their money back and then some. I paid a developer $3 for a slot. IMO it was well worth it for four months of beta access on a beta that doesn't really feel like a beta. iOS 5 beta 7 (basically 1-6 as well) is more smooth than any official BB OS release or Android release. $3 is nothing.
    I have no problem spending $2500 in a camera lens, but to put this in perspective I wouldn't spend $3 on reviewing a beta. To each their own I guess.
    09-19-11 01:48 PM
    I have no problem spending $2500 in a camera lens, but to put this in perspective I wouldn't spend $3 on reviewing a beta. To each their own I guess.
    Yep I guess so. I spend more than $3 a day on coffee. $3 for a fully functioning beta that doesn't seem beta is fine for me. Plus the fact that it has features I can use now and that have added much more value to my device.

I have no problem spending $2500 on a camera lens as well if it is the one I want. I don't mind paying for what I want. Especially when $3 is a laughable amount of money. It basically works out to like 3 cents a day (so far), which is nothing.
    Last edited by avt123; 09-19-11 at 02:20 PM.
    09-19-11 02:17 PM
    3 bucks was worth it to me.
    09-20-11 07:03 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD