I don't personally own an iPhone, but one of my friends at work does. He was showing me that when you connect it to a Windows XP PC that does not have iTunes installed, it presents itself as a digital camera to the OS so that you can transfer pictures to the PC.

Does anyone know what the technical feasibility would be of the idea that the iPhone could present itself both as a digital camera AND Mass Storage device simultaneously. I know that in its current state, there is no way to access the iPhone's memory for mass storage (the way you can access a media card on a BlackBerry). But would something like that be technically possible?
    08-29-09 02:25 PM
    I believe you can accomplish this by jailbreaking the device.

I have no need to, so I haven't done so.
    08-29-09 02:28 PM
    i know that when i plug my iphone in, i get a popup from windows where i can explore the pics folders on the phone. i wonder if you could drag a file on there and store it? then when you wanted it back just go to the pics folder and copy it back. i wonder if that would screw up the file system somehow.
    08-29-09 03:55 PM
    What happens if someone emails you a file and you receive it on your iPhone? Does the phone allow you to store it in local memory somewhere?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-09 06:45 PM
    What happens if someone emails you a file and you receive it on your iPhone? Does the phone allow you to store it in local memory somewhere?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Typically no, unless you have a download plug-in that you can get through jailbreaking.
    08-31-09 06:13 PM
    So if a friend emails me a picture, or a Word document on an iPhone, I won't be able to save the file locally to the memory without jailbreaking the phone? How weird
    08-31-09 07:08 PM
    So if a friend emails me a picture, or a Word document on an iPhone, I won't be able to save the file locally to the memory without jailbreaking the phone? How weird
    The picture you can save, but the document, no. If it's on an exchange account, you can use 'Docs2Go - Exchange' version to help out saving attachments.
    08-31-09 08:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD