Most of you frequenting this forum know me by now. I think I have about 5 threads on the first page of the forum here lol. Appreciate all your help though guys. Anyways, my brain has developed two more questions regarding the VZW iPhone 4.

1.) Voicemail: All my phones in the past, dumb phones all the way up to my trusty old Storm 9530 (retired 4/1/11 after 2+ years of active duty) have connected to the same Verizon VM system. My greeting and password just transferred over from each phone. NOW with the iPhone 4 it seems like the old Verizon VM system is no longer what I connect to. Too my surprise the iPhone 4 has visual VM baked in (no extra charge) and I no longer need to call the VM system and enter my password to retrieve my messages. So out of curiosity I dialed *86 and I got to the system and when asked for my password I entered it but it was not recognized as valid. Can anyone explain to me what the story with VM and the iPhone is and whether or not by upgrading to the iPhone my old VM box and password were essentially deleted?

2.) *228 (applies ONLY to VZW iPhone): Those of you on Verizon for a while should know about *228. You dial it and by pressing option #2 you update your roaming capabilities. VZW employees used to recommend customers do this every month in order to keep optimum signal and coverage strength of your device. Million dollar question is, does *228 apply to the iPhone 4? Has anyone done it? Is it recommended you do it? It seems that the iPhone 4 runs on its own special infrastructure that Verizon and Apple erected.

Man, I'm done typing for one day.
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 04-01-11 at 11:50 PM.
    04-01-11 11:48 PM
    The iPhone uses a visual voicemail system that is separate from the old Verizon voice mail. You will need to set it up for it to work properly.

As for *228, yes it is recommend. By updating your roaming information, it allows the iPhone to better choose which tower to pull from.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-11 12:39 AM
    VM control is onboard the phone itself now. Your old Verizon VM is no longer used and you've lost all control over your old box. Sorry, if you looked at the setup pamphlet for the iPhone it would have discussed the VM differences and that you'd lose your old saved VMs.

Also, yes, *228 still works and so does *22899... use that to save the hassle of pressing 2 after prompts. Dial *22899 Send and wait for it to update, no prompts, no hassle. As a side note, to check the PRL version dial *#5005*4357# Send and it'll display it on the screen.
    04-02-11 06:04 PM
    VM control is onboard the phone itself now. Your old Verizon VM is no longer used and you've lost all control over your old box. Sorry, if you looked at the setup pamphlet for the iPhone it would have discussed the VM differences and that you'd lose your old saved VMs.

Also, yes, *228 still works and so does *22899... use that to save the hassle of pressing 2 after prompts. Dial *22899 Send and wait for it to update, no prompts, no hassle. As a side note, to check the PRL version dial *#5005*4357# Send and it'll display it on the screen.
    Ok so *228 still works, BUT since the iPhone has proven to be this special device that runs on it's own tailored infrastructure.... Is *228 EVER NEEDED/RECOMMENDED to be used on the iPhone for performance and signal enhancement?
    04-02-11 08:59 PM
    Ok so *228 still works, BUT since the iPhone has proven to be this special device that runs on it's own tailored infrastructure.... Is *228 EVER NEEDED/RECOMMENDED to be used on the iPhone for performance and signal enhancement?
    Yes because that is the OTA CDMA programming the cellular chipset uses to update roaming lists and general CDMA radio programming. Doesn't matter if it's an iPhone, BB, Windows Phone, Android. If it's CDMA and from Verizon, you need to use the *228 codes to update the programming.
    04-03-11 12:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD