Well, after years with only using BlackBerry's, I've decided to make the switch to an iPhone 4.

I bought the Torch on the same day my fiance bought the iPhone 4. After setting both phones up, I knew I had to have the ip4!!! Don't get me wrong...I LOVE the Torch...it's a great phone, just after playing around with both, I felt the iPhone has more to offer me.
    The iPhone was actually the first "smartphone" I had ever purchased a few years back, and I found so many things I couldn't get over (no landscape keyboard, no copy/paste, didn't function with hotmail, crappy battery life) and traded my iphone in for the BB Curve. I'm so excited that all of these issues were addressed and changed!!!
    I'm expecting my first baby in the New Year, and I think the face chat thingy will be amazing for my fiance and I (thats one of the main things that sold me on the switch).
    I'm a little nervous, as I'm so used to BB's now, but I'm sure I will love it!

Sorry for rambling...my point is...I know I will need to switch my current BB plan to an ip plan. Any suggestions for awesome Rogers plans? Does it make more sense to start a family share plan, rather than 2 seperate plans? Everytime I call Rogers and ask, they go on and on and seems they just want to sell me on something more expensive than I need. We dont do much with our phones...texting, surfing the net (nothing huge).

Thanks...and sorry for the long winded post lol
    10-14-10 09:08 AM
    Welcome to the club! I use the FactTime thing daily, and I have to say, it's pretty cool. Apple gets a lot of stuff wrong, but every now and then, they get something right, and FaceTime is one of those things. Anyway, congrats on the baby and enjoy!
    10-14-10 09:39 AM
    You won't regret it!
    10-14-10 10:10 AM
    I was reluctant to the change as well, but am very happy that I did. Don't get me wrong, there are a few things that I still miss about Blackberry, but the benefits of the iP4 far outweigh the losses.

And don't worry about the keyboard. It's phenomenal.

Congratulations on the baby!
    10-14-10 10:24 AM
    As for your data plan, you will likely use more data.
    The question is how much.

BB data is compressed, iPhone data isn't.
    Without changing your habits, you'll likely use 30 -40% more.
    Go over your bills and compare your data usage with the Curve and Torch.

Enjoy!
    10-14-10 11:12 AM
    Welcome to the club! I use the FactTime thing daily, and I have to say, it's pretty cool. Apple gets a lot of stuff wrong, but every now and then, they get something right, and FaceTime is one of those things. Anyway, congrats on the baby and enjoy!
    That's kinda funny.. i feel the exact opposite, Apple gets a lot of stuff right, but every now and then, they get something wrong. Just talking Apple in general not just the iPhone, of which they hit it out of the ballpark.
    10-14-10 12:11 PM
    Have fun with the iPhone 4 bud. Made the switch from the Torch to the i4 a few weeks ago. Great decision. Jailbroke it the other day and now am customizing the phone. Love the jailbreak. Loved the phone even without the jailbreak but now even has more of a WOW as for your plan I am with Rogers and wife is with Telus. No family plan. I pay $82 tax in a month for 400 min, Unlimted after 6pm and 1G data. All all display and voicemail etc. Yes you will use the phone alot more. I have wifi at home and just recently I hooked up wifi at work. Hard to say what my data would be though
    10-14-10 02:38 PM
    That's kinda funny.. i feel the exact opposite, Apple gets a lot of stuff right, but every now and then, they get something wrong. Just talking Apple in general not just the iPhone, of which they hit it out of the ballpark.
    I'm of the general belief that electronics makers get stuff wrong. Apple, for the most part, does better than the rest. Don't get me started on Dell and the garbage they sell. Sure their stuff is cheap, but it's crap. I own a bunch of Dell stuff, and the only reason I buy it is because it's cheap. For my personal use though, I use a MacBook and obviously, an iPhone. My awesome iPad got confiscated by my wife who decided she liked it better than her Lenovo (better than Dell but also crap) netbook.
    10-14-10 03:03 PM
    I came from a long line of Berries, last one being a 9700. You will be pleasantly surprised once you get the i4 in your hands. I could not be more satisfied with mine. Good luck and enjoy.
    10-14-10 04:01 PM
    My awesome iPad got confiscated by my wife who decided she liked it better than her Lenovo (better than Dell but also crap) netbook.
    That's funny, what we'd be willing to do for love.
    10-14-10 04:23 PM
    Went to the ATT store last night to add another line to my account and somehow ended up walking out with the Iphone 4! I have been a rabid Blackberry user for many years and had many different models with different carriers. After playing around with the iPhone for 30 minutes I was instantly impressed. My original intention was to get another Torch on my account for my daughter but I am going to keep the iPhone and give her my Torch. I really have zero complaints about my Torch and think it is a great phone but I honestly am mesmerized by the iPhone. I guess in this 30 days that I have with the phone I will have a good opportunity to see the performance side of the phone under all the glitz and shiny newness wears off. If it does not cut the mustard for me then I can easily exchange for my original intentions of the Torch. I must admit that I am amazed. The iPhone has honestly already dispelled many preconceived notions I had about the phone from negative press and I guess some tunnel vision in reviews I have read.
    10-15-10 08:07 AM
    ejmdds....another convert. Same story here. My IT guy forced one into my hands, with a "try it before you judge" attitude. Couldn't be happier.

I haven't jailbroken mine, but I read a lot of what Roo says here, and if he thinks its cool, I just might try it.
    10-15-10 08:56 AM
    Hey Golf
    I JB my phone the same day it was announced. I wasn't sure since when i had my 3G it was a bad experience lol... But gave it a ret with theIp4 and honestly it works great. There's some apps on there that i can't see myself no using anymore
    I say do it ..... Nothing to lose. You could always restore

ejmdds....another convert. Same story here. My IT guy forced one into my hands, with a "try it before you judge" attitude. Couldn't be happier.

I haven't jailbroken mine, but I read a lot of what Roo says here, and if he thinks its cool, I just might try it.
    10-15-10 10:23 AM
    Went to the ATT store last night to add another line to my account and somehow ended up walking out with the Iphone 4! I have been a rabid Blackberry user for many years and had many different models with different carriers. After playing around with the iPhone for 30 minutes I was instantly impressed. My original intention was to get another Torch on my account for my daughter but I am going to keep the iPhone and give her my Torch. I really have zero complaints about my Torch and think it is a great phone but I honestly am mesmerized by the iPhone. I guess in this 30 days that I have with the phone I will have a good opportunity to see the performance side of the phone under all the glitz and shiny newness wears off. If it does not cut the mustard for me then I can easily exchange for my original intentions of the Torch. I must admit that I am amazed. The iPhone has honestly already dispelled many preconceived notions I had about the phone from negative press and I guess some tunnel vision in reviews I have read.
    Welcome to the club!

If I may, here's a couple of suggestions.

1. If you use Youtube a lot, go to m.youtube.com. Tap the "+" icon in Safari and select "Add to Home Screen." The webapp is actually better than the built in Youtube app. For example, it allows HQ videos over 3G.

2. Download "Cut The Rope." It's $0.99 at the App Store, but it's one of the most well thought out puzzle games I've seen in a long time.

3. If you browse a lot, consider using a tabbed browser. There are a couple in the App Store, Atomic Web and Perfect Browser. Atomic Web has a free version to try out before you buy. Both offer stuff like private browsing and desktop emulation.

4. If you use Gmail, set it up as Exchange. Instructions here:
    http://www.google.com/support/mobile...&answer=138740

5. If you need cloud storage, Dropbox is free for 2GB and works very well.
    10-15-10 10:29 AM
    Thanks Roo. You answered a few of my questions before I even asked them! Nothing but great things to say about my past Blackberries and the whole platform. It is rock solid and was dependable for many years for me. I am discovering all of the new ways to use my new phone. So far it has only been a day but I have not had any issues. I think as I delve deeper into it I will get a better idea of performance over the next 30 days. Incidentally where I always dropped calls with my past phones in a "dead zone" here, the call I was on continued through crystal clear. May have been a fluke this one time or maybe it is a sign! LOL
    10-15-10 12:25 PM
    Good call on the switch. I currently have the IP4 and one of the vice presidents of the company I work ordered the torch which came in yesterday. Luckily for me he is in Virginia so I can play with the torch for a week. Honestly I have been a BB fanboy for years now, and after having a IP4 for a month, the Torch just doesn't cut it for me. I regularly switch back from my IP4 to my 9000 for work purposes and the 9000 is sufficient enough for me. Just the whole feel of the Torch, the browser the screen everything just doesn't compare to the IP4. The only thing the Torch has on the IP4 is BBM and the physical keyboard and still I have to say the 9000 keyboard is still the best out of all the Blackberries.

As for data, I am currently on the 6gb BB data plan and have had no issues switching back and forth between Iphone and BB. Keep in mind when I usually only download apps at home through wifi.

The Torch is a great phone and is definitely the best Blackberry out at the moment, but once you touch, jailbreak and play around with an Iphone4, it is hard to not want to put it down.
    10-19-10 07:16 AM
    ^^^^ great post, that pretty well sums it up!
    10-19-10 04:04 PM
    Been very hard to put the i4 down. Love customizing and the tweaks you can do. I have SBsettings and the activator is set as double tap my status bar. Have Bluetooth, wifi, locations,3G etc etc right there instead of going through the menus to turn on. Love that feature.
    10-19-10 04:33 PM
    Gotta say all in all this is an impressive thread. I came in here to look for some new stuff for my wife's iP4 because she's pretty much a tech noob, and just to generally see what's happening in the iPhone world and am impressed that no one is bashing on the Torch or RIM...which is a nice change from the 9800 forums lol.

Anyways..I liked the Tabbed browser idea for her internet..anyone else got anything useful I can tell her about and install for her? If jailbreaking is as easy as it's being made out to be..I could possibly try that and surprise her with a new Theme..although if she didn't like it I might need to revert it back for her..if that's not too hard. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks in advance..

EDIT: I noticed in the screenshots thread that people have folders set up like "Options" , "Games" etc..and was wondering does that have to be jailbroken for that or is it an app? I know my wifes an organize freak and would love to be able to set up folders for her stuff.
    Last edited by Rickroller; 10-24-10 at 11:08 AM.
    10-24-10 10:55 AM
    Folders are native to iOS 4. You hold down an icon til it wiggled and move it on top of another icon. That will create the folder. You can name it whatever you want although iOS will automatically make suggestions from the app category.

Jailbreaking is a bit harder on 4.1 than on 4.0.1 or 4.0.0. It's still very easy and tAkes about 5 minutes. Themes are done via an app called Winterboard. Beware, themes use JavaScript and some of the poorly written ones may slow the phone down.
    10-24-10 11:52 AM
    Can you make folders on an iPhone for those of us who like to be super organized and then throw apps into them or does the app/icon already have to exist?
    10-26-10 06:15 PM
    Can you make folders on an iPhone for those of us who like to be super organized and then throw apps into them or does the app/icon already have to exist?
    The app has to already exsist and be in the folder prior to creating it. Once you create it then you can change the name of the folder.
    10-27-10 10:25 AM
    Lets rename this thread iCrackPhone.

Welcome!
    10-27-10 12:04 PM
    The i4 is a solid device...Congrats.....
    10-28-10 12:04 AM
    I have a Torch right now and am buying an iPhone 4. I guess this is mostly directed at cns187...how are are swapping between them continually? Do you have a micro sim adapter? I was wondering how to do this since I'd like to keep my 6gb $30 BB plan.

Thanks.
    10-29-10 11:07 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD