Well, after 13 months of having a Curve 8310 (AT&T), I'm finally switching to the iPhone. My wife and I have both been using the Curve on a FamilyTalk plan and for the most part have enjoyed these phones, but it's time for an upgrade. Several months ago she threw her Curve in the laundry on accident, and I had to do the rice trick to get it dried out and resuscitated again. Now her screen has completely died, so all she can really do is use it to make/receive calls.

I know the pros and cons of both kinds of phones and have done all the research, but I really do think I'm making the right choice. I'm not crazy about the fact that I can't expand memory, but I've had a 4gb card in my Curve for months and haven't come anywhere near filling it up. At this point I kind of feel like I've done all I can with my Blackberry. I'm not totally crazy about the apps and everything just feels kind of clunky and difficult. I finally upgraded to OS4.5 and it made everything worse, and the phone is extremely slow.

After 4 dead iPods, I'm no fan of Apple, but I like the iPhone and its slick interface and ease of use. I'm not ruling out a return to Blackberry one day, but it's not going to be just yet.

Dark Side, here I come.
    02-11-09 07:24 AM
    Welcome to the club. I have no doubt that you will enjoy the switch from a Curve as long as you can live with no physical keyboard. The iPhone is probably the most stable phone in terms of hardware out today. It's very solid. If you can, I'd say purchase it in a Apple store, much better than going into AT&T. IMHO
    02-11-09 07:46 AM
    My experiences have been that the Apple store is friendly, but limited to their abilities to override.

Example... my friend who works for Apple has to constantly send customers to the at&t store when their upgrade dates are matching or Apple's system is not giving the $199/$299 price.

On the other side, AT&T is not as friendly and is limited to troubleshooting. Aside from voice and data, you have to go to apple for repairs, extensive troubleshooting and exchanges.

Example... you upgraded to the latest firmware and your device bricked. AT&T would send you to an Apple store or Apple Care.
    02-11-09 10:57 AM
    Guys... back on topic.

Thanks!
    02-11-09 10:58 AM
    No problem Duvi, I was minding my own business. To the OP, do yourself a favor go to Apple.
    02-11-09 11:01 AM
    Guys... back on topic.

Thanks!
    your right, sorry

OP, the iphone is definitely one of the best built phones out there today (the E71 holds its on) with no moving and squeaky parts. You will find pretty easy to type with I think. Believe it or not, I type faster on that keyboard than any qwerty style keyboard. There are TONS of useful apps in the app store, which is awesome. The camera is 10x better than the BB curve/bold. Outdoor shots look like decent camera phone shots. You got 30 days to test drive it but will get hit with a restocking fee if returned. Hope the dark side treats you well
    02-11-09 11:07 AM
    Welcome to the club. I have no doubt that you will enjoy the switch from a Curve as long as you can live with no physical keyboard. The iPhone is probably the most stable phone in terms of hardware out today. It's very solid. If you can, I'd say purchase it in a Apple store, much better than going into AT&T. IMHO

My mother-in-law just got an iPhone and I've toyed around with hers a few times to get a feel for the apps and programs. I wasn't crazy about the keyboard and made many typing errors, but I'm sure it takes a little getting used to.

I'd actually prefer to go to an AT&T store. My nearest Apple store is in a mall and constantly crowded, and the customer service is not the greatest. My MIL said she had a pretty good experience at the AT&T store, and even told me that they'd be willing to assist me with a problem I was having with getting the upgrade discount.

So, once I get this thing up and running, what are the best free apps I should immediately download? I'm already planning on getting the apps for eBay, Bank of America, Facebook, etc.
    02-11-09 11:07 AM
    My experiences have been that the Apple store is friendly, but limited to their abilities to override.

Example... my friend who works for Apple has to constantly send customers to the at&t store when their upgrade dates are matching or Apple's system is not giving the $199/$299 price.

On the other side, AT&T is not as friendly and is limited to troubleshooting. Aside from voice and data, you have to go to apple for repairs, extensive troubleshooting and exchanges.

Example... you upgraded to the latest firmware and your device bricked. AT&T would send you to an Apple store or Apple Care.
    the upgrade has to show online that your eligible (on your at&t olam account). if it doesn't show your eligible for a upgrade, it won't show up on apple's process site.
    02-11-09 11:10 AM
    My mother-in-law just got an iPhone and I've toyed around with hers a few times to get a feel for the apps and programs. I wasn't crazy about the keyboard and made many typing errors, but I'm sure it takes a little getting used to.

I'd actually prefer to go to an AT&T store. My nearest Apple store is in a mall and constantly crowded, and the customer service is not the greatest. My MIL said she had a pretty good experience at the AT&T store, and even told me that they'd be willing to assist me with a problem I was having with getting the upgrade discount.

So, once I get this thing up and running, what are the best free apps I should immediately download? I'm already planning on getting the apps for eBay, Bank of America, Facebook, etc.
    free I would go with pandora, lose it, usa today, google, the weather channel, photobucket, quicktip, where, shazam, flixster, paypal, webmd...these I have and use always

I also bought photogene (2.99), ifitness (1.99), freememory (.99)

search in itunes and you will see a lot of the ones I mentioned got great reviews.

I'm a photographer so I LOVE photogene...check it out!
    Last edited by mapimages; 02-11-09 at 11:23 AM.
    02-11-09 11:14 AM
    Cleaned up... Once again, please stay on topic without being argumentative.
    02-11-09 01:12 PM
    Currently I have an iPhone, Bold and an 8900.

The iPhone is my favorite right now, I attribute that to the fact I've used nothing but BB's for years and I needed a change.

Right now I feel if the iPhone could ever manage the email end of things as well as a Blackberry then I'd own and use only an iPhone.

More and more each day I'm getting the iPhone email to work for me and I'm looking less at my BB's.

It was my intention to get a SIM card and data plan on both the iPhone and BB Bold, I'd use the BB for emails and the iPhone for everything else. I think I'm close to the point where I'm going to use the iPhone for everything and 'make it' work ... would save me from carrying two devices and paying two phone bills to pay for ....
    02-12-09 10:36 AM
    My sis has an iPhone, which I've been able to play around with plenty over many months, -it's a great device that you'll love.

My BB (Storm) has better functionality for me overall, because I use it extensively for business. Better for email, and the fact that you can't 'copy and paste' with the iPhone would come into play a LOT for me.

That being said, I think that the iPhone offers a fantastic overall user experience, and depending on your needs, could be just as funtional or more-so. If I didn't use my phone for work, I would likely have an iPhone once Verizon picks it up (AT&T doesn't get a signal at my home office and two of my main customer sites).

iPhone = great phone IMO.
    02-12-09 11:31 AM
    I went from the Verizon Curve to the Storm. Hated the Storm and went back to the Curve. Then figured out how to avoid paying an ETF and have had my iPhone one week.

I use my iPhone for work email, calendar, contacts and I don't find it troublesome at all. I was making more typing errors on the Storm, but fewer than on the Curve. I have noticed a nice progression on that front though and now have very few issues typing.

I love the available apps and have downloaded: Weatherbug, fring, facebook, google earth, google mobile (voice search is cool), Public Radio, What's On?, Shazam, Yelp, and Snow Report.

I find the iPhone to be fast, responsive, and fun.

I also liked my Curve very much, but enjoy the added functionality of the iPhone.

Good luck and have fun!!!
    02-12-09 11:45 AM
    check your messages Wigg
    02-12-09 03:15 PM
    Love both iPhone and Berry.
    02-12-09 08:12 PM
    You won't regret it. The iPhone is the most user-friendly consumer-based smartphone on the market (in my opinion).
    02-12-09 09:38 PM
    I have and own the iPhone, but it definately has its own share of problems. Lately my phone has been freezing a lot lately and leaving me with a blank black screen for a couple minutes. But on the plus side of that, the warranty on the iPhone is flawless except for the fact that i have heard they trade you out with a refurb.
    02-13-09 01:04 AM
    I have and own the iPhone, but it definately has its own share of problems. Lately my phone has been freezing a lot lately and leaving me with a blank black screen for a couple minutes. But on the plus side of that, the warranty on the iPhone is flawless except for the fact that i have heard they trade you out with a refurb.
    I can only speak from my own experiences, but I have had my iPhone replaced twice at an Apple store and each time received a brand new phone straight out of the box.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 06:03 AM
    Then figured out how to avoid paying an ETF and have had my iPhone one week.
    Care to enlighten the rest of us that would like to switch away from Verizon before contract date runs out?
    02-13-09 06:40 AM
    Sure, this is what worked for me.

Almost every month, the Federal Universal Service Charge is a line item on your monthly bill. This fee is mandated by the gov't to subsidize phone service for low income households. It is up to Verizon to pay this. They do this by passing on this fee to the consumer (as do most if not all phone companies). The amount of this charge fluctuates frequently throughout the year. I compared my December 2008 bill with my January 2009 bill and noticed the difference.

I had to argue that this change presented me with an "adverse material effect" and that the language of the contract stated this change in fee structure allowed me to exit the contract early and without penalty.

It took about 25-30 minutes of discussion but I stayed very calm, stated the facts and they released me from my contract.

It should be noted that afterwards they transferred me to an outside agency that was conducting a customer service survey for former Verizon customers and I widely praised Verizon for their customer service. I have never had an issue with them that we were unable to resolve to my satisfaction. Prior to having Verizon as my carrier I was with ATT (Cingular) and experienced equally excellent customer service. I believe that if you approach them with facts and a calm voice you will almost always get what you want. I'm pretty small potatoes to them anyway.

Care to enlighten the rest of us that would like to switch away from Verizon before contract date runs out?
    02-13-09 11:16 AM
    Cool. Thanks. I will need to try that, then. I just want an iPhone, it is just the best phone out, sadly.
    02-13-09 11:33 AM
    I can only speak from my own experiences, but I have had my iPhone replaced twice at an Apple store and each time received a brand new phone straight out of the box.

I don't think you received a new phone. If it came from a white box its a refurbished unit. If you did get new phones then you're really lucky or you exchanged it right after release date and there were no refurbs available.

Either way, refurbished products by Apple are amazing. My refurbished iphone runs much better than the new on I had exhanged. Refurbs go through more inspected and tested more thoroughly to meet standards.

02-13-09 01:42 PM
    I don't think you received a new phone. If it came from a white box its a refurbished unit. If you did get new phones then you're really lucky or you exchanged it right after release date and there were no refurbs available.

Either way, refurbished products by Apple are amazing. My refurbished iphone runs much better than the new on I had exhanged. Refurbs go through more inspected and tested more thoroughly to meet standards.

I had to have my 1st gen iPhone replaced months after I got it for a WiFi issue, simply asked if I could get a brand new one instead of a refurb and they were really cool about it and did.
    02-13-09 02:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD