08-17-11 05:48 AM
64 123
tools
    After much research, reading, asking questions, etc, I've decided to give the iPhone a try. I seriously hate my Storm2.

I can upgrade now, but should I wait for the Iphone 5? Release is speculation at this point, is it not? Some say Sept, but I've also read various reports saying October, November, and even 2012.

Won't the OS5 update basically turn my IP4 into a 5? I know there "may" be an LED on the IP5, but other than that? Will the operating system be that much faster, or I guess I should ask, will waiting it out and hating my phone more and more by the day make it worth me waiting for the new phone?
    07-18-11 11:53 AM
    There are some hardware enhancements with the new iPhone as well, more than just the operating system. Higher mp camera, faster processor. and different form factor are most notable.

No idea on release date.
    07-18-11 12:08 PM
    Agree with the above post. Hardware will be better and know one really knows about the design. There are rumors of the same form factor and screen size of the iPhone 4, others with the same form factor but bigger screen and others of a brand new design. But everyone is expecting a dual core processor, better camera, maybe more RAM. Those things do make a difference. Take it from someone who went from the 3G to the 3GS. No difference in appearance but the differences under the hood were important. I would think at this point, you may be better of waiting. Shouldn't be much longer than 2 months from now.
    07-18-11 12:14 PM
    I would probably wait. If you're someone who cares about having the best phone, you'd probably be saying "I should have waited," when the new iPhone comes out - so why not wait if that is the case. Otherwise you should fair well with the iPhone 4, although by the time you'd be eligible for upgrade again you'll probably be on the verge of hating it because Apple will probably be close to a stopping-point for OS updates on the iP4.
    07-18-11 03:17 PM
    If you really can't handle the storm that much then go for it. Its really not going to be that much of a change, kind of like the iphone 3- 3gs. But if you don't want to break your phone everytime you touch it get the iphone 4.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-11 03:38 PM
    If you really can't handle the storm that much then go for it. Its really not going to be that much of a change, kind of like the iphone 3- 3gs. But if you don't want to break your phone everytime you touch it get the iphone 4.

Whether you agree or not the changes from the 3G to the 3GS were substantial. The big reason is look at it right now..... the 3GS will get iOS 5. The 3G won't. That upgrade in hardware is a lot for someone who plans to have their device a while. And how do you know it won't be that much of a change?
    07-18-11 03:42 PM
    Buy the iPhone 4 off contract on eBay/CL now if you can't wait. You can always sell it when the iPhone 5 comes out along with your S2. This way you can save your upgrade for later.
    07-18-11 04:55 PM
    Buy the iPhone 4 off contract on eBay/CL now if you can't wait. You can always sell it when the iPhone 5 comes out along with your S2. This way you can save your upgrade for later.
    I had this same idea until I saw how much they are going for off contract. OUCH!!!!
    07-18-11 07:46 PM
    I had this same idea until I saw how much they are going for off contract. OUCH!!!!
    Lol anywhere from 400-600 easy

07-18-11 11:09 PM
    I would say if the iPhone 5 is weeks away, then maybe it would be a good idea to wait. I got mine early in the year and could no longer wait to retire my blackberry. Even if the ip5 came out today, I'd want one of course but I don't regret not waiting because the ip4 is a terrific phone.
    07-18-11 11:23 PM
    I'd just do it! Make the swap...use your upgrade or just buy one off craigslist. The phones are amazing and you can pretty much do anything you want with an ip4 now, jailbreak it, download certain apps just plain go nuts.

Think about it, when ip5 comes out there's probably going to be some hardware issues and some minor (or major) things that may need to be dealt with and that requires you to wait...so I say jump and get it now and enjoy it now! Once everything is on the up n up w ip5 then you can still sell your "barely used" 4 and upgrade.

Never grab a phone when it's first released I say....just my $0.02
    07-19-11 10:01 AM
    I forgot to mention that I sold my 9650 & Droid X to offset the cost. So there was no financial pain whatsoever. Although I don't have a backup phone now which I have always tried to have for emergency purposes.

07-19-11 10:52 AM
    And iOS 5 is nice......currently on Beta 3 and it is nice upgrade.....I picked up my phone locally off CL for 350 it wasn't even a week old.
    07-19-11 11:24 AM
    I say go for it. Who knows when the i5 will come out. And going from the storm 2 to the i4 is a huge leap in my opinion. I love my i4.
    07-19-11 04:24 PM
    And going from the storm 2 to the i4 is a huge leap in my opinion.
    I can definitely second that opinion!
    07-19-11 06:27 PM
    OP I'm in the same boat. I'm due for an upgrade since the beginning of the month but idk if I should wait for the IP5. I'm really hoping it's Sept. I would kick myself if I got the 4 now and then a month later the 5 comes out.
    I think the other killer for me is the lack of $100 credit! We used it on my wife's phone, and geez, even with the 2 year agreement price, for a 32GB phone, $299, plus tax on the full cost of the phone, another $50, then a charger and case, and I'm dropping $400 on a phone that MAY be old news soon? I mean, I know I can upgrade the OS to 5 when it comes out, but I know there are some hardware changes coming. UGH. I also know I could sell it and recoup all if not more than I paid for it, and maybe only spend another $200 or so to get a new one, but that's just all expensive. I was so used to the $100 credit from Verizon, it made it much more bearable.
    07-20-11 10:08 AM
    im not making the jump to iphone just yet.but the iphone 5 is a possibility for me when it comes to my upgrade.i have had previous experience with an iphone 4.it was good device but i think the overall feel of the 3gs in the hand is much better than the 4.hope apple goes with a new feel for the 5 instead of the 4's feel.
    07-20-11 09:57 PM
    I made the jump from storm 2 to iphone 4 and I cant be more happyier. The storm always and i means always froze on me, and if it shut down took like 10 minutes to start up, I just had enough.
    07-22-11 10:30 AM
    I am waiting for the ip5. And its so close, I can virtually taste it.

I'm done with my Torch. It was the best BB I have used. But everytime I use my wife's ip4 or my ipod touch, I now that for me, BB's don't cut it for me anymore.

07-23-11 06:33 AM

I'm done with my Torch. It was the best BB I have used. But everytime I use my wife's ip4 or my ipod touch, I now that for me, BB's don't cut it for me anymore.

Excellent move. You'll love the iPhone as much as i love my favorite band, AC/DC.
    07-23-11 04:00 PM

I have exactly the opposite impression, not to rain on anybodys parade. I use any of the iphones in my family and at the end of day I wouldn't trade in my Storm.

My wife, she's glued to the thing. But for the exact reason she's glued to it, is exactly the reason there is no calling for me.

You'll enjoy it though.
    07-24-11 08:50 AM
    I went to a friend's kid's bday party, and a few people with iphones, and two of us with Storm 2's. I got a chance to play around with the iphone 4, and man, that thing is just fluid. Touch something, it opens up in an instant. Pictures are great. In fact, two different people were showing off pics on their phone, something I'd never do on my Storm. Of course, I didn't make a call on their phone, or anything like that, and I want my phone to be a PHONE first, not a camera. But, one of the people there with the IP4 was a recent blackberry defector, and she basically said she had no idea why she waited so long to make the move, and loved her iphone. She's a photographer on the side too, so when I told her the ip5 may have an 8 megapixel camera, her eyes sure lit up! I did make mention to her husband, who had the S2, that the new blackberries looked promising, and to check em out, whenever the heck they finally hit the street.
    But, I'm pretty much determined at this point to give the iphone a shot. I'm gonna wait at this point though, for the ip5. If the Monaco had come out sooner, I most likely would have made the change to it, but now, I'm gonna jump ship, at least for awhile, to the dark side and see if I like it.
    07-24-11 06:28 PM
    I went to a friend's kid's bday party, and a few people with iphones, and two of us with Storm 2's. I got a chance to play around with the iphone 4, and man, that thing is just fluid. Touch something, it opens up in an instant. Pictures are great. In fact, two different people were showing off pics on their phone, something I'd never do on my Storm. Of course, I didn't make a call on their phone, or anything like that, and I want my phone to be a PHONE first, not a camera. But, one of the people there with the IP4 was a recent blackberry defector, and she basically said she had no idea why she waited so long to make the move, and loved her iphone. She's a photographer on the side too, so when I told her the ip5 may have an 8 megapixel camera, her eyes sure lit up! I did make mention to her husband, who had the S2, that the new blackberries looked promising, and to check em out, whenever the heck they finally hit the street.
    But, I'm pretty much determined at this point to give the iphone a shot. I'm gonna wait at this point though, for the ip5. If the Monaco had come out sooner, I most likely would have made the change to it, but now, I'm gonna jump ship, at least for awhile, to the dark side and see if I like it.
    I'm in a similar sitch. My hubby(previous env3 user) and 1 of my kids(previous bb user) jusyt got the iP4 about 2wks ago now. They both love it btw! WELL! Let me tell you, I've been a bb user for close to 4yrs now & I'm soo hooked on using my hubbys iP4 when he comes home from work every night LOL. Runs quick, opens anything very fluidly, I've done things on his iP4 that I do on my bb with no probs at all, and quicker as for call quality, its great-ive used his iP4 on several occassions to make or rec a call and its clear no issues what so ever.

I have an upgrade on one of my lines due in Nov & I can't wait. I'm 99.9% sure that I'm switching to the iP4 or 5 I want to call Vzw in Aug to see if they'll allow an early upgrade to that line, but idk, I'm thinking maybe I should wait for the iP5......I won't have the patience, LOL so idk, I may just get the iP4 if they let me upgrade sooner! I can't wait!!!! I even already have 2 cases picked out for when I get my iPhone lol

Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 07-25-11 at 09:34 PM.
    07-25-11 09:29 PM
    I'm in a similar sitch. My hubby(previous env3 user) and 1 of my kids(previous bb user) jusyt got the iP4 about 2wks ago now. They both love it btw! WELL! Let me tell you, I've been a bb user for close to 4yrs now & I'm soo hooked on using my hubbys iP4 when he comes home from work every night LOL. Runs quick, opens anything very fluidly, I've done things on his iP4 that I do on my bb with no probs at all, and quicker as for call quality, its great-ive used his iP4 on several occassions to make or rec a call and its clear no issues what so ever.

I have an upgrade on one of my lines due in Nov & I can't wait. I'm 99.9% sure that I'm switching to the iP4 or 5 I want to call Vzw in Aug to see if they'll allow an early upgrade to that line, but idk, I'm thinking maybe I should wait for the iP5......I won't have the patience, LOL so idk, I may just get the iP4 if they let me upgrade sooner! I can't wait!!!! I even already have 2 cases picked out for when I get my iPhone lol

On upgrades, my understanding is if it's the main line, (family plan) they'll let you pay $20 to upgrade early, but I'm not sure if it's even available any more. They did tell me they were pretty strict on early upgrades with the Iphone. All on the system, and if they do it even a day early, the store gets hit with the full retail price of the phone. Give them a call, just to be sure, but that's what I understand. Thanks for the feedback on the call quality!
    07-25-11 10:34 PM
    On upgrades, my understanding is if it's the main line, (family plan) they'll let you pay $20 to upgrade early, but I'm not sure if it's even available any more. They did tell me they were pretty strict on early upgrades with the Iphone. All on the system, and if they do it even a day early, the store gets hit with the full retail price of the phone. Give them a call, just to be sure, but that's what I understand. Thanks for the feedback on the call quality!
    yw!
    As for the upgrade thing-my husbands line wasn't ready till Nov either, but when he told me he wanted the iP4, I called Vzw (2wks ago) and they let him upgrade early with no addl charges, and his is the main # on the acct. So as for my other line I'll see what I can do! Thx for that info as well

07-26-11 07:53 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD