I thought this was a balanced look at multi tasking in iOS4:

Multitasking in iOS 4 is not a magical sparkle pony

From TUAW
    06-15-10 03:51 PM
    This was hinted at quite some time ago actually. It's not multitasking in a true sense but more of a task switching model like the early versions of Windows.

So battery life won't be affected as there is no multitasking going on, but the downside is there is no real multitasking. It makes sense to have VoIP going and maybe some radio apps but where it really loses out is the IM market. If you want one or more IM programs running while you do other things you are out of luck. I see this as a real problem personally.
    06-15-10 04:23 PM
    I don't see a problem. People will continue to jailbreak if they want more functionality.

Steve Jobs is like Scotty from the original Star Trek.
    "We've released as many API's as we can Captain.
    I canna give you any more processes, or she'll blow!"
    06-15-10 04:40 PM
    /vent on

I really wish IMs were more "natural" on the iPhone.

Same thing with pop up notifications.

Nothing more annoying then being in the middle of something, getting an IM or text, clicking cancel, then 2.5 seconds later getting another IM or text, hitting cancel, then repeating the process.

Very Jarring, and ANNOYING, when you are trying to actually get something done.

/vent off
    06-15-10 04:41 PM
    It makes sense to have VoIP going and maybe some radio apps but where it really loses out is the IM market. If you want one or more IM programs running while you do other things you are out of luck. I see this as a real problem personally.
    I agree with you on that. I'd rather have BeeJive actually running where it
    left off from when I closed it than to be pushed a new IM which makes me
    completely load the app back up. But wouldn't we expect the developers to
    simply add the support for things like that anyway?
    06-15-10 06:42 PM
    I agree with you on that. I'd rather have BeeJive actually running where it
    left off from when I closed it than to be pushed a new IM which makes me
    completely load the app back up. But wouldn't we expect the developers to
    simply add the support for things like that anyway?
    From the article: location data, voice over IP (VoIP), and audio

So no, they will not add anything at all. What you have now is what you are stuck with.

Unfortunately the so called multitasking abilities of the new OS are about 95% vaporware, nothing more than that. And it's too bad too. They stepped up to the plate with needed features like copy and paste but neglected multitasking by putting a spin on it.

Apple made a huge mistake putting a low capacity battery in their phone and making it non removable. Now they have to spin it to seem as though the facts support multitasking is not desirable and not good for developers. And yes, I have seen a lot of that rhetoric on development sites. Multitasking has existed long before Windows on less capable processors so there's no reason it can't be done on an iPhone.
    Last edited by Radius; 06-15-10 at 10:46 PM.
    06-15-10 10:40 PM
    I agree about notifications but disagree with IM. IM apps dont need to be running pervasively in the background in real time. Do so and youll have about a 2-3 hour battery life and, yup, people will whine and complain.

I actually think the notifications (if they were done better) is a pretty good compromise between getting you IMs and battery life.
    06-15-10 10:50 PM
    Yeah but I run beejive in the backround 24 hours a day and it doesn't really compromise battery life. Jailbroken of course and have done this since I got the phone in September of last year. I just dislike the app taking time to load up again when I get a new message.
    06-16-10 01:00 AM
    I'm going to run Yahoo all day and see if it affects battery life.
    06-16-10 05:33 AM
    Only problem with that is I dont think the iphone keeps an app running, even one thats open when you lock the phone (hit the power button turning the screen off).
    06-16-10 08:01 AM
    Only problem with that is I dont think the iphone keeps an app running, even one thats open when you lock the phone (hit the power button turning the screen off).
    Even using backgrounder?
    06-16-10 08:44 AM
    Update: Battery is draining faster than normal.

Yahoo messenger is the only program I have running (backgrounder), battery is at 35%. That's almost two times faster than normal.

6:30 = 95%

12:11 = 35%

3:15 = 15%
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 06-16-10 at 06:58 PM.
    06-16-10 11:11 AM
    /vent on

The most IMPORTANT thing I want is something along the lines of TIERED FRAKKING NOTIFICATIONS.

Seriously.

I use my iPhones clock and alarm extensively to keep myself scheduled during the day.

If I have notifications pending, my Alarm. Will. Not. Go. Off. Until. After. A. Stupid. Text. Gets. Opened.

Disgustingly frustrating when I need to be notified of the time by my phone simply because I haven't bothered to check the texts sent from some late night sleaze harassing me the day after.

/vent off
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 06-16-10 at 12:15 PM.
    06-16-10 12:12 PM
    Nah, it keeps it open even if you lock the phone. Only if you turn the phone
    off and back on does it close the app.
    06-16-10 12:18 PM
    Well either way I think LazyStar confirmed what i said about it in general- sucks battery to no end.
    06-16-10 06:13 PM
    Well either way I think LazyStar confirmed what i said about it in general- sucks battery to no end.
    I'm not trying to argue your theory, but it's going to vary from user to user.
    LazyStarGazer just tested this very recently while I've been doing it for nine
    months. Perhaps though, my experience MIGHT change if I was to ever run
    BeeJive without it being in the backround and see better battery life. That
    test will pretty much come once iOS 4 is out. I don't really plan to jailbreak anymore.
    06-16-10 06:38 PM
    I'm not trying to argue your theory, but it's going to vary from user to user.
    LazyStarGazer just tested this very recently while I've been doing it for nine
    months. Perhaps though, my experience MIGHT change if I was to ever run
    BeeJive without it being in the backround and see better battery life. That
    test will pretty much come once iOS 4 is out. I don't really plan to jailbreak anymore.
    Well maybe it had to do with the apps you guys were running? Lazy was running yahoo and you were running BeeJive. Unless Lazy was running Yahoo from BeeJive?
    06-16-10 07:09 PM
    avt, I don't have Beejive.
    06-16-10 08:06 PM
    Bottom line, if the app is active it chews resources. If it's in push mode then it's not even active so it's not using resources. Despite what SOME people think (another thread), running multiple apps at the same time uses more battery power.
    06-16-10 11:20 PM
    I should mention the only 3rd party app I backround 24/7 is beejive. I really have no reason to run a ton at once.
    06-17-10 12:03 AM
    In case no one has been to Cydia in a few weeks, Backgrounder and Activator have an update.

Edit:
    It gives you blue badges for natively multitasking apps like Safari, iPod, phone and mail.
    (in addition to the grey badges it had already).

There seem to be some menu changes as well.
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 06-17-10 at 10:53 AM.
    06-17-10 10:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD