My buddy who works in a local cell phone store told me they had a few 3GS in stock. Took a look at the 32G in black then i heard the price.............. 3200 BDS which roughly is 1600 USD. Madness! Why are the factory unlocked iphones so damn expensive anyway?!
    07-09-09 06:46 AM
    factory unlocked guarantees it will always work on any network. saving a few grand while waiting for a software unlock would pay off in the end though
    07-09-09 09:05 AM
    Well any GSM network.
    07-09-09 11:44 AM
    My buddy who works in a local cell phone store told me they had a few 3GS in stock. Took a look at the 32G in black then i heard the price.............. 3200 BDS which roughly is 1600 USD. Madness! Why are the factory unlocked iphones so damn expensive anyway?!
    Ouch!!! It's a good phone, but it ain't that good.

The unlocked phones cost so much because the carrier has no guaranteed way of getting any regular revenue from you, sign a contract with them and they recoup the discount they gave you through your service. If they sold it to you at a discount unlocked, you could buy it and bounce to whatever carrier you wanted.
    07-09-09 01:14 PM
    I have no idea why this is, considering that the iPhone 3Gs costs only about $175 to manufacture. It used to be the case that phones cost hundreds of dollars to manufacture and were then subsidized by the carrier. But now that these phones are pretty cheap to make, the carrier is just locking you into a contract and making it seem like the contract reduces the price of the phone. If Apple wanted to, it could sell unlocked iPhones in an Apple Store for $199 and still make a profit, and then users would be able to shop around for the best mobile contract from the carrier.

In a perfect world, of course ....
    Last edited by mdude85; 07-09-09 at 01:59 PM.
    07-09-09 01:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD