So, I got my iPhone yesterday and I'm really enjoying it so far. My train ride into work was nice, and Pandora was enjoyable to listen to the whole ride. The Internet was fast and reception was good as I traveled from NJ into NY. Then I got into my office...

Calls not able to connect except maybe 1 out of 5 times inside the building (about 20 stories up). Internet barely working, but was fine when I went up a block for lunch. I guess the signal just doesn't penetrate the building well. I haven't updated to 3.1.2 yet, but I'm not sure if that could even make a difference. The kicker is having the phone display a constant 5 bars and 3g.

Very frustrating. Love the phone, and it works great everywhere but my office, even being right next to a window. Sigh. I always had a decent Verizon signal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by CASActuary; 10-16-09 at 02:06 PM.
    10-16-09 02:03 PM
    So, I got my iPhone yesterday and I'm really enjoying it so far. My train ride into work was nice, and Pandora was enjoyable to listen to the whole ride. The Internet was fast and reception was good as I traveled from NJ into NY. Then I got into my office...

Calls not able to connect except maybe 1 out of 5 times inside the building (about 20 stories up). Internet barely working, but was fine when I went up a block for lunch. I guess the signal just doesn't penetrate the building well. I haven't updated to 3.1.2 yet, but I'm not sure if that could even make a difference. The kicker is having the phone display a constant 5 bars and 3g.

Very frustrating. Love the phone, and it works great everywhere but my office, even being right next to a window. Sigh. I always had a decent Verizon signal.

Service over hardware man. If you don't get good service in the places you
    usually are then it's not worth the hardware.
    10-16-09 03:41 PM
    Service over hardware man. If you don't get good service in the places you
    usually are then it's not worth the hardware.
    Service seems to be good everywhere except inside the office. Not being able to stream Pandora isn't a huge loss, and it's not like I'm without a phone at my desk.

To be fair, I would sometimes lose my signal during calls when I had Verizon, data seemed to do better though.

AT&T 3g speeds are definitely way faster when it is a good signal though. I'm talking 600-700 kbit/s compared to 200-300 when I had Verizon.

10-16-09 03:47 PM
    Service seems to be good everywhere except inside the office. Not being able to stream Pandora isn't a huge loss, and it's not like I'm without a phone at my desk.

To be fair, I would sometimes lose my signal during calls when I had Verizon, data seemed to do better though.

AT&T 3g speeds are definitely way faster when it is a good signal though. I'm talking 600-700 kbit/s compared to 200-300 when I had Verizon.

Do you at least have a router you can connect to in your office? That would
    solve the Pandora issue.
    10-16-09 04:23 PM
    Not to my knowledge. Most people are on desktops, so I guess no need for wireless.

10-16-09 05:19 PM
    Make sure you update your OS. It DOES MATTER. I'll give you a perfect example:

Prior to this last OS update I would have zero bars in the Shoppers here in Washington DC. And, I mean zero bars...no service. If I were standing by the shopping carts outside I'd have five full bars of service...30 feet inside the stores got me zero bars.

After this last update about three-four weeks ago I noticed I had FIVE BARS of service inside the Shoppers now. I was shocked! I used to lose phone calls inside the store, I don't anymore

Get your update. ATT is constantly upgrading their network towers.
    10-16-09 10:02 PM
    Well, I upgraded to 3.1.2. Guess I'll see on Monday if it helped.
    10-17-09 02:39 PM
    I use to have similar problems with my old Bold and iPhone. Paperweight mode... I switched to Verizon and get much better call quality and better data speeds as well.

10-17-09 02:46 PM
    My AT&T service has been great everywhere for the most part. Only a few dropped calls and great data speeds.

10-17-09 04:27 PM
    Always good for me. The most that ever happens are calls not connecting (so it technically doesn't drop). This doesn't happen often either, but happens with my Bold more frequently. I also get 2 bars max with my Pre/Tour on Sprint, usually 1 bar.
    10-17-09 05:56 PM
    ATT tends to be kind of iffy anyway. Half the time, I have full service on my Motorola Q, and can't connect to the internet.
    10-20-09 03:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD