Just got a new iPhone last Sunday but a few problems.

Will AT&T ever get a network like Verizon? If not, I will be switching to Verizon. My son has a Storm (really bad phone) but it always has full bars of 3G no matter where we go unlike me who has some bars of 3G in some areas but when I drive a few miles I lose it and get stuck with EDGE. Just wondering what the point of having a 3G phone is if I hardly get 3G reception. I love my iPhone to death and it's the best phone I've ever used but I just wish AT&T wouldn't suck so much. By the way, I live in Pennsylvania if this helps. Can anyone link me to a 3G coverage map because AT&T includes EDGE on their website. Thanks.

Greg
    03-09-10 11:00 AM
    Just got a new iPhone last Sunday but a few problems.

Will AT&T ever get a network like Verizon? If not, I will be switching to Verizon. My son has a Storm (really bad phone) but it always has full bars of 3G no matter where we go unlike me who has some bars of 3G in some areas but when I drive a few miles I lose it and get stuck with EDGE. Just wondering what the point of having a 3G phone is if I hardly get 3G reception. I love my iPhone to death and it's the best phone I've ever used but I just wish AT&T wouldn't suck so much. By the way, I live in Pennsylvania if this helps. Can anyone link me to a 3G coverage map because AT&T includes EDGE on their website. Thanks.

Greg

Yeah AT&T's coverage is spotty in some places which is why I always recommend to test the network for the 30 days before staying with them just to make sure you have adequate coverage where you need it. A coverage map will do you no good now, as you are experiencing the true coverage. I would say decide what's most important for you and go from there. Honestly, I wouldn't stay with AT&T if I only had a Edge signal in most places and had a phone like the iPhone. But that's just me.
    03-09-10 11:13 AM
    the iphone is known to have trouble holding on to signals and switching from 3g to edge.
    03-09-10 11:16 AM
    the iphone is known to have trouble holding on to signals and switching from 3g to edge.
    Yea, well its hard to hold onto 3G when its not there.

I have all sorts of phones on most of the big networks.

All of my 3G capable phones have issues with 3G on AT&T.

But yes, when my phone switches totally from 3G to Edge, it always drops calls.

But thats AT&T, not the iPhone.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 03-09-10 at 01:32 PM.
    03-09-10 01:29 PM
    Where in Pennsylvania are you located? Reason I ask is I live in southern Monroe County. I am currently on Verizon but considering switching to AT&T. From what I hear, AT&T has great coverage in my area. I hope I'm right with my assumption.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-10 01:55 PM
    When I lived in the Wilkes Barre/Scranton Area, Reception was perfect.
    03-09-10 02:01 PM
    At&t beats Verizon in Pittsburg.. that I know.
    03-09-10 02:56 PM
    WTH you can stwitch from 3g on your USA Iphones?

Im with telus in Port Moody BC Canada and i can only use 3G i tried switching it off and it says NO Service.

But damm i must say 3g is crazzzzy fast compared to my storm on Edge.
    03-09-10 02:59 PM
    Oh god, I hate when my 3G dies on me. There are certain spots near my house that make me lose all 3G. Every time. Without fail. AT&T hasn't been too bad for me though. I have fill or almost full when I really need most of the time.

03-09-10 03:30 PM
    I found my iPhone is faster on AT&T Edge than my Storm2 was on Verizon 3G. That being said, I always try to use wi-fi at home. The speeds are just sick! From the speed test app: down 7188 and up 1406. I didn't save any speed test data from the S2 but they weren't as good as that. I guess its worth it to me to be on Edge once in a while not to have to put up with that damn spinning clock on my BlackBerry all the time. If the lack of 3G coverage going to be a constant aggravation to you, though, you might just want to stick to VZW.
    03-09-10 09:22 PM
    Yea, well its hard to hold onto 3G when its not there.

I have all sorts of phones on most of the big networks.

All of my 3G capable phones have issues with 3G on AT&T.

But yes, when my phone switches totally from 3G to Edge, it always drops calls.

But thats AT&T, not the iPhone.

im going to have to politely disagree. i switch off between my 9700 and iphone 3gs every other day. Its obvious that the 3gs has trouble switching from 3G to edge. Instead of switching, it'll choose to just go "no service".
    to further prove my point, the only way i can get a signal is if i switch 3g off and force EDGE.

my 9700 (and my v9) had no trouble switching onto EDGE when the 3g signal disappears.
    Last edited by ipodlover77; 03-10-10 at 12:18 AM.
    03-10-10 12:16 AM
    also another issue with the iphone is the misleading bars. Its weird when my phone says full bars but the dbm is -110.
    03-10-10 12:17 AM
    The terrible coverage in my area is exactly why I'm with Verizon. If the coverage was good I would definitely have an iPhone.

03-10-10 12:38 AM
    The iphone may be known to have switching problems, but trust me, AT&T's network is INFAMOUSLY known, forever now, to have terrible switching from 3G to 2G problems. It is why almost every Bold owner from AT&T has wanted to jump ship at some point, until the OS's came where we were finally able to choose to turn 3G off when we didn't want it, effectively killing the "dropped call" "call failed" problems.
    03-10-10 05:46 AM

Its not so much the iPhone as it is the network. Put the iPhone on verizon, and i bet it would do a lot better.
    03-10-10 06:10 AM
    I think the actual device is not so good switching bands. The network has improved significantly in the last 6 months.
    03-10-10 07:09 AM
    I think the actual device is not so good switching bands. The network has improved significantly in the last 6 months.
    thats what im saying!! i realize the network is weak in SOME areas. But in a area where i get 4 bars of EDGE on my moto and my bold, i get no service on my iphone. pretty frustrating that i have to go out my dorm and hold up my phone to get a text while the moto/bold can easily get and hold a signal while im in bed.
    03-10-10 08:11 AM
    I found my iPhone is faster on AT&T Edge than my Storm2 was on Verizon 3G. That being said, I always try to use wi-fi at home. The speeds are just sick! From the speed test app: down 7188 and up 1406. I didn't save any speed test data from the S2 but they weren't as good as that. I guess its worth it to me to be on Edge once in a while not to have to put up with that damn spinning clock on my BlackBerry all the time. If the lack of 3G coverage going to be a constant aggravation to you, though, you might just want to stick to VZW.
    yeah same here. my iphone 2g is faster than my storm 2 on 3g. i think it's because the blackberry browser is too slow and runs on bis. when i load up opera mini 5, it destroys the iphone in speed, even the 3gs.
    03-10-10 09:38 AM
    Again, my iPhone performs similarly as my other GSM devices when it comes to 3G-2G signal.

I stand by what I said.

I believe it is an issue with AT&T, although it could get exaggerated simply because it's an iPhone.
    03-10-10 10:17 AM
    WTH you can stwitch from 3g on your USA Iphones?

Im with telus in Port Moody BC Canada and i can only use 3G i tried switching it off and it says NO Service.

But damm i must say 3g is crazzzzy fast compared to my storm on Edge.
    As far as I knew telus doesn't support the edge network on there gsm network and your iphone won't pick up on cdma

I could be completely wrong though

03-10-10 11:12 AM
    The iPhone can not work on a CDMA network...
    03-10-10 11:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD