Hey everyone.

I've been a Blackberry owner for well past 6 years and owned nothing but Blackberrys. I think after so long I want a change since I'm kinda getting tired of the same OS from Blackberry.

I will always love Blackberry, but have been thinking about an Iphone as a nice replacement. I was also looking at Androids, but for some reason everytime I use and see an Android, it reminds me of an Iphone knock off.

for anyone that went from Blackberry, to Iphone, hows the change been for you?
    12-09-10 12:26 PM
    Its been pretty good for me. The i4 is a slick device. Depending on how married to the physical keyboard you are, it will take a little time to adjust to the on-screen keyboard. The key is to trust the auto-correct. Do that and your speed won't suffer too much, if at all.

That said....I'm going to make the shift back to BB at some point. It would have already happened if the Torch wasn't so lack luster. The i4 is a great device and it fits in without a hitch to my other Apple products (MBP & iPad), but over time I realize just how much I prefer the personal organizer functioning of BB OS. To me calendar management is better with BB....same for contacts. Mail is somewhat of a wash for me since I don't use BES, some features appeal more to me with iPhone than BB and vice versa. The games are cool on iPhone and I have several on there, but I hardly ever play them. Same for watching videos (plus I have an iPad for that). The built in iPod is good, but not really far and away better than the BB media manager in OS6.

AT&T has refurb 9800s on the website for a penny and I'm pretty comfortable with that price point for the device. I can get that and sell my i4 for $600, which turns it into a pretty sweet deal.

My advice to you is to test drive one and see how you like it. You have 30 days to make up your mind, and really most times 2 weeks will do it. If you aren't sold by then you probably won't be.
    Last edited by ugahairydawgs; 12-09-10 at 01:23 PM.
    mjbesen310 likes this.
    12-09-10 12:42 PM
    I'm loving my Iphone 4. The Screen is to die for. I did miss BBM initially but got over the shock. i agree with uga the physical keyboard thing did take some getting use to but i've adjusted, and thank goodness for the auto correct. :-) I agree, test drive and see which device works best for you.
    12-09-10 01:17 PM
    I find auto-correct to be good 90% of the time. I've grown to like pure touch a lot because I can just breeze through keys. As much as I liked Sure Press then, I think it slowed me down.
    12-09-10 01:41 PM
    For the change has been good. I actually got the ip4 and planed to use it on my second line. More of a weekend phone. Now it's pretty much the only phone I use. The only thing I really miss from BB is the notification system. Ip4 (iPhone in general) really needs a better notification system bad. For emails I like the ip4. I have exchange set up and calendar, contact everything syncs perfect.
    It will be hard to change phone after using this screen.
    12-09-10 03:36 PM
    I went and picked up a 9780 the other day for the **** of it. Only thing I missed on my BB was BBM. Brought back the 9780 today. Very hard to go back to a lower resolution screen, and overall slower phone. After going back to the BB for a few days I couldn't wait to connect my iPhone 4 again.
    12-09-10 06:19 PM
    The 9780 was slow for you, even with the added memory, and OS6? Tell me it's not so!
    12-09-10 07:01 PM
    I was also looking at Androids, but for some reason everytime I use and see an Android, it reminds me of an Iphone knock off.
    Why because it has icons? The only Android device that looks and feels like an iPhone is the Galaxy S because of its Touch Wiz skin. Android is nothing like iOS and feels nothing like iOS. It does more and you have more freedom out of the box. iPhones need to jailbreak to be able to do everything an Android device can do (customization and for certain other features like widgets).

I have owned an iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G. Had each for almost a year. I have been using Android for over a year now and trust me, Android is not a knock off of the iPhone, it is a completely different animal.
    Last edited by avt123; 12-09-10 at 07:17 PM.
    12-09-10 07:14 PM
    Mjbesen310, I know many who think that way. I was at my wife's company dinner party and this lady had a moto x, this guy sitting next to her whom apparently knew nothing about phones goes "Oh, isn't that the phone that copied the iPhone". Even though I don't consider it a copy it goes to show you that the iPhone is iconic and many believe anything else is a "knockoff".
    He was carrying a company issued old BB.
    12-09-10 10:13 PM
    Hey everyone.

I've been a Blackberry owner for well past 6 years and owned nothing but Blackberrys. I think after so long I want a change since I'm kinda getting tired of the same OS from Blackberry.

I will always love Blackberry, but have been thinking about an Iphone as a nice replacement. I was also looking at Androids, but for some reason everytime I use and see an Android, it reminds me of an Iphone knock off.

for anyone that went from Blackberry, to Iphone, hows the change been for you?
    For me the change has been good. The only thing I miss from my BB is the notification system, everything else is a breathe of fresh air..
    12-10-10 12:26 AM
    I've had an iPhone for a year now, 3GS and now the 4, and i had to pick up my friends bb to shoot me an email...lord did i feel like i was in 1980 or something.. the switch to the iPhone you'll love as much as everyone else here agrees, and when you pick it back up after months of being away from it, you go ? WTH is this ... you really get a feel for how outdated and un-user friendly the UI really is...

In other words you should love the switch
    12-10-10 02:12 AM
    thanks everyone for your comments. I really do think I'm going to give the Iphone4 a run!

By the way, I wasnt saying anything bad about Androids. I just want the same brand name phone as the OS I'm running. For example, a Blackberry is a Blackberry phone with a Blackberry OS.. an Apple is an Apple phone with an Apple OS, Androids is just an OS on any type of different brand phone. For some reason I like having the same brand phone as my OS... I'm weird like that I guess
    Last edited by mjbesen310; 12-10-10 at 07:05 AM.
    12-10-10 07:02 AM
    Cool, something i always notice when i am on iphones is how much less i look at the phone. I guess you can call it "feeling always connected" that blackberrys give you, the LED flashing all the time calls for your attention and resolution. Obviously the iphone does not have a notification LED but i have come to really like that, i feel i have more time away from crazyness.
    12-10-10 08:32 AM
    You will also notice that the iPhone 4 arguably has the best build as well as fit and finish of any phone out. No plasticky pontiac console type look, more Audi-ish quality.
    12-10-10 08:45 AM
    I guess you are. Hope you enjoy it and get your bumper so you can try to make a phone call.
    12-10-10 08:56 AM
    I guess you are. Hope you enjoy it and get your bumper so you can try to make a phone call.
    Try actually using the phone before making such rediculous comments
    12-10-10 09:33 AM
    thanks everyone for your comments. I really do think I'm going to give the Iphone4 a run!

By the way, I wasnt saying anything bad about Androids. I just want the same brand name phone as the OS I'm running. For example, a Blackberry is a Blackberry phone with a Blackberry OS.. an Apple is an Apple phone with an Apple OS, Androids is just an OS on any type of different brand phone. For some reason I like having the same brand phone as my OS... I'm weird like that I guess
    I guess you don't like Windows then? I see where you are coming from, but the only Android devices to worry about are the Samsung ones. That's it. But enjoy the iPhone and make sure you buy a bumper. It allows you to hold the device any way you want. jk

I had great AT&T coverage in my area, but I wouldn't leave VZW just for the iPhone.
    12-10-10 09:36 AM
    I have had 1 dropped call in the 2 months or so I have used the iphone 4. The BB 9780 I was using for a few days dropped 4 this week in the same area I have never had a problem with the iPhone.
    12-10-10 09:38 AM
    I have the Ip4 since July, got the free bumper and never used it.
    I drop the same if not less calls with the ip4 then i did with my 97.
    Obviously some user are having more dropped calls then others but that doesn't mean the ip4 can't make a call. I am sure your BB tour works great...but have a quick look on this forum and you would find 999 problems with that phone.
    Now With what BB gives it shouldn't have any issues since they been making the same phone for like 7 years now
    Considering what the ip4 offers and the power it has user are willing to drop a call 1 or 2 times a week.... the benefits are much more then the negatives
    unlike your BB

*** before you give your opinion on a product....try it

12-10-10 09:52 AM
    I'm glad you started this thread because I was wondering the same thing! I'm on Verizon and if they do indeed release their own iphone next year on the 4g network, I'm thinking I'll have to try it!
    12-12-10 03:42 AM
    Do it! I've been using bb for6 years and need an upgrade. I too love bb but got bored with the os. My wife and I made the switch and couldn't be happier. AT&T is really not as bad as it used to be. Have had great coverage so far
    12-13-10 07:37 PM
    I live in Manhattan and have to say At&t is improving its service at a very rapid pace. I am now wondering if switching to VZ for the iphone if it comes out would be worth it.
    12-14-10 10:33 AM
    you wont be sorry..i am a bberry nut and am starting to see how everyone i know is getting iphone or droid x..

Iphone is way more productive than i thought for a heavy business user like me...

RIM better come out with a qnx bold w touchscreen or else...
    12-15-10 09:01 PM
    Add me to the group of long-time BB users who are seriously considering a switch to the iPhone.

Right now I'm waiting for the new year to see if there's any truth to any of the rumors of the iPhone coming to VZW because I really do get much better coverage with VZW. If that doesn't happen then I'll go to AT&T to try the iPhone and if the coverage has improved, I'll probably jump ship.

I love(d) my BB 9650, but as both a business-user (although not through BES) and a consumer-user, the BB isn't meeting my increasing needs and wants anymore. I don't use BBM and I'm comfortable with an on-screen keyboard, so there's really no reason for me to stay tied to the BB except habit and loyalty. Neither of those reasons are good enough for me anymore.

Recent information shared by BB's CEO did nothing to keep me interested in BB as a smartphone, so iPhone here I come. I just hope that it's on VZW.
    12-15-10 09:53 PM
    I moved, stayed with iPhone for a couple of years and have now just moved back. The UI is simple, clear and largely efficient. The apps are wonderful. If you jailbreak it opens up a huge world for you, if you're ethically ok with it. It looks pretty.

It's not perfect though. Typing is not that good. Call quality is often poor. The speakerphone is terrible. Bluetooth is less consistent than Nokia for example. Many of the pretty futuristic elements (cover flow for example) are really just eye candy and aren't used much.
    Overall you will enjoy it. I did and would not have moved back unless I had gotten my iPad. With the iPad I wanted the best phone for use while actually moving (walking, driving) and the Blackberry beats the iPhone here.
    12-17-10 12:08 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD