Maybe that's exactly why it has not been released yet!

That's exactly what I was thinking too.
    03-04-11 02:37 PM
    That's exactly what I was thinking too.
    Well they never pulled the plug on cnectd or pingchat.... So I'm thinking they only killed Kik because of the fact Kik was founded by an ex RIM employee or something like that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-11 04:15 PM
    Well they never pulled the plug on cnectd or pingchat.... So I'm thinking they only killed Kik because of the fact Kik was founded by an ex RIM employee or something like that.

Both Cnectd and Pingchat is littered with tons of ads. Prior to LifeProfile, KIK's app was the most streamlined and similar to BBM, by far.

Just sayin.....
    03-04-11 04:42 PM
    But again, we won't know what's gonna happen until LiveProfile is available for BB. So we shall wait and see.
    03-04-11 04:44 PM
    Ya. It was supposed to be out this week. Nothing yet today.... Would it be weird to be released on the weekend?

03-04-11 05:05 PM
    Both Cnectd and Pingchat is littered with tons of ads. Prior to LifeProfile, KIK's app was the most streamlined and similar to BBM, by far.

Just sayin.....
    Ads aside, all of these apps are similar in function to BBM and none but Kik have been targeted by RIM.

I note that the thing that is BBM's differentiator from other IMs (GTalk, Y!Messenger, AIM) is the always on, no log-in feature. Thus it follows that this is the only aspect of these cross-platform apps that RIM would object too. As these other apps continue to do that very thing unmolested by RIM, it would seem to lead to the conclusion that the problem was not with Kik doing it but with how it did it. Additionally, while I am not sure about pingchat, I know that Whatsapp has been doing the cross-platform BBM thing way before Kik became an overnight sensation and is a very mature and popular app that RIM has not taken any action against.

Consequently, I do not believe that there is any significant basis to conclude that what happened to Kik will happen to any of these other apps.
    03-04-11 08:26 PM
    Ads aside, all of these apps are similar in function to BBM and none but Kik have been targeted by RIM.

I note that the thing that is BBM's differentiator from other IMs (GTalk, Y!Messenger, AIM) is the always on, no log-in feature. Thus it follows that this is the only aspect of these cross-platform apps that RIM would object too. As these other apps continue to do that very thing unmolested by RIM, it would seem to lead to the conclusion that the problem was not with Kik doing it but with how it did it. Additionally, while I am not sure about pingchat, I know that Whatsapp has been doing the cross-platform BBM thing way before Kik became an overnight sensation and is a very mature and popular app that RIM has not taken any action against.

Consequently, I do not believe that there is any significant basis to conclude that what happened to Kik will happen to any of these other apps.
    Except for the fact that the "favorable press" is stronger for Live Profile than the others, and the stronger the press seems to get, the longer the "coming soon" seems to be.
    03-04-11 08:41 PM
    Ahhhhh! I was really excited for the bb version to come out today!

03-05-11 01:51 AM
    Which BB OSes/devices will liveprofile support? I'm particularly interested in the Torch, for selfish reasons.
    LiveProfile supports any BlackBerry device that runs 4.5 or above. For the Storm and Torch it will closely resemble the appearance on the Android and iPhone which I may add looks very sexy on BlackBerry.

i'm sure there was more to it than just having the "appearance" of BBM. other apps have similar feel, and are still available to blackberry users. of course, liveprofile will have to answer this specifically as it pertains to them.
    Like the name suggests LiveProfile is much more than just a messenger it's a mobile social network. Like any major social network chat plays an important role in connecting people. LiveProfile is similar in functionality and appearance to AIM, Skype, Facebook Chat, Google Talk, ICQ, etc. However unlike these messengers it's tailored specifically for mobile devices and will remain that way. In the upcoming weeks and months it will become more clear as our vision evolves to make mobile communication easier and more real-time.

Ya. It was supposed to be out this week. Nothing yet today.... Would it be weird to be released on the weekend?

We are having some issues with the application reconnecting after being out of reception for extended periods. We can technically release it with this bug but first impressions are everything and the last thing we want is people to associate LiveProfile with a unreliable or buggy app. Hang in there it's almost here once we clear this up
    03-05-11 03:21 PM
    Release it! Who's ever out of reception areas these days anyways

Last edited by ek9max; 03-05-11 at 09:44 PM.
    03-05-11 04:39 PM
    Release it! Who's ever out of reception areas these days anyways

LOL. Patience is a virtue.
    03-05-11 11:21 PM
    LOL. Patience is a virtue.
    Yea..... I don't have patience. Haha

03-06-11 02:53 AM
    well-- engadget reported that RIM will be releasing bbm for Android and Apple (no date yet) so now when we use our iPhones, we won't need to use any of those "bbm killers" (hahaha-- don't make me laugh). We can use the real thing.... look it up.
    :-)

Last edited by tedzone; 03-06-11 at 04:06 AM.
    03-06-11 04:04 AM
    Yea. But if they drop features from them it will be useless.

03-06-11 05:01 AM

We are having some issues with the application reconnecting after being out of reception for extended periods. We can technically release it with this bug but first impressions are everything and the last thing we want is people to associate LiveProfile with a unreliable or buggy app. Hang in there it's almost here once we clear this up
    wise choice. especially for blackberry users. they will be the hardest to get to jump aboard. bbm is reliable to them, so if u come out with bugs, it will immediately turn them off. i just hope u have file transfer, if this is non existant u will lose bb users quick. make sure this is available upon release or delay the app.

i wish u could also view someones profile without opening the chat.

one question, will seeing what song they are listening come in the near future or distant future? or not at all?

well-- engadget reported that RIM will be releasing bbm for Android and Apple (no date yet) so now when we use our iPhones, we won't need to use any of those "bbm killers" (hahaha-- don't make me laugh). We can use the real thing.... look it up.

bgr actually. and even with that it will still be needed as they stated it would be stripped down without file transfer
    03-07-11 12:59 AM
    My concern is, as a friend sent me "my BBM list is now down to 6" all others having switched to either iPhone or Android. He said he doesn't even have any "groups" left. "Coming soon" may not be soon enough. As contracts end, my guess is even "us die-hard users" will begin looking at other choices. Not enough newness as I see it.
    03-07-11 10:01 AM
    My concern is, as a friend sent me "my BBM list is now down to 6" all others having switched to either iPhone or Android. He said he doesn't even have any "groups" left. "Coming soon" may not be soon enough. As contracts end, my guess is even "us die-hard users" will begin looking at other choices. Not enough newness as I see it.
    When I switched to iPhone a Bbm friend of mine got me on Whatsapp. She told me that she uses whasappp more than Bbm on her own blackberry!

She hates Whatsapp. But all her friends are android or iPhone now.....

03-07-11 10:42 AM
    Just sayin.........I keep thinking of Palm and all the "users" moving because Palm "never kept up' as newness evolved. I was a Plalm user for many years and finally switched to Blackberry. I have been with them for awhile now, and I am beginning to sense the same thing happening! Hope I am wrong, but you need to keep up to compete!!!!
    03-07-11 12:47 PM
    That's why I went to iPhone. Had the 9700, went to torch, went to 9780 hoping it wouldn't be as slow as the torch, then back to a 9700 because os 6 menus drove me nuts. Was happy with the 9700, till I realized that the best blackberry available was released in 2009......

That made me try the iPhone 4. And I'm not looking back.

And trust me. I was the biggest blackberry fanboy on the planet.

03-07-11 01:45 PM
    All of my freinds and most of my family were Blackberry users, and there are 2left. I would guess that will be my move after my contract ends. It's actually a shame because I really like the Blackberry. Using it for business, and needing to keep up with "technology" changes, especially internet speed and function, I definitely see a switch coming.
    03-07-11 02:41 PM

If it has less features and isn't free like the competition, it isn't worth it.
    03-07-11 04:18 PM
    i wrote about this briefly on hofo way back in 2009. bgr did something similar like 4-6 months later

CDMA Smartphone O.S. Future

i hated iphones back then. iphone is charlie sheen #winning right now lol. but rim is really looking like palm
    03-07-11 05:46 PM
    i wrote about this briefly on hofo way back in 2009. bgr did something similar like 4-6 months later

CDMA Smartphone O.S. Future

i hated iphones back then. iphone is charlie sheen #winning right now lol. but rim is really looking like palm
    Absolutely on point with that article. 6mos in the "smartphone" world is a lifetime and 2 years is all eternity. The future is all about the "next best", not about reacting to what already is! A loyal customer base can disappear instantly when they feel they are being left behind.......again just ask Palm.
    Google and Apple don't wait to copy, they wait to be copied, and then continue to move ahead to find what will engage there base.
    03-07-11 07:04 PM
    Ahhhhh! Where is the blackberry version??

03-10-11 01:16 PM
    I reallly want to upgrade to the iPhone 5 when it comes out and would love it if RIM makes allows bbm on the iphone. Don't care if they won't allow transfering, I just need the chatting.

03-10-11 02:03 PM
185 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD