I use the 3GS moderately throughout the day and it has about a 12-14 hour battery life (I unplug it from the charger before leaving for work and by the time Entourage comes on, it has 5% power). I keep my screen brightness around 20% but I use the autodim feature so it gets brighter in sunlight. So basically I have to charge it every day.

Interestingly, I was at 8% battery life last night and took a 30 minute phone call and it went down to 3%. I was expecting it to die 10 minutes in, so that's a plus. I think it saves a lot of power by shutting off the screen during a call.

Intersted to hear your stories.
    08-05-09 03:00 PM
    I have gone 2 days without charging but I only used it for phone calls and kept the screen brightness low and all services turned off. I have killed the battery completely in 4 hrs streaming Pandora, normally I can use the phone pretty heavily from about 7 am to 7 pm before I am at about 5% and need to charge.
    08-05-09 05:35 PM
    I went to work with a full charge at 9 this morning, and worked a ten hour day, listened to music (iPod) for at least nine hours, surfed the net and checked up on news (probably about half an hour), and made about a half hour worth of phone calls. Of course, this is all over Edge. I rarely turn on my 3G unless I'm going to go visit some graphic intensive sites, or use GPS.

I keep my screen at about 20% brightness, with autobrightness on. Push is off, and location services are off, and I have my mail set to fetch every hour, which is fine for my needs since it's just my personal email accounts.

It's thirteen hours later and I'm at 64% charge left. I'm very, very, very impressed with the battery life.

And I know it seems I hamper my phone by turning off 3G, and location services, and push, but I did the same exact thing with my Bold. I upgraded to OS 4.6.0.282 to get the 3G/2G switch feature, and always ran on EDGE unless I wanted to surf the net a bit quicker or use GPS. And, after an eight hour day, listening to music all day (music stored on my media card, not streaming music), with approximately the same internet and call usage I described above, I would come home with about 60% charge left on my Bold.

I was very worried about the iPhone's battery life when I purchased it. It has turned out to be one of its greatest assets.
    08-05-09 10:10 PM
    I work a typical 8 hr day. I take my phone off the charger at 7 am. I get ready for work and leave at 8. I update my rss feeds on 3g so I have new to read. I have around 99% at this point. I dont have a need for data because we have wifi at work. I do make about 20 minutes of phone calls but on EDGE only. By this time Im at 95%. When I get to work it automatically connects to wifi from their I surf intensive sites ,but I leave my phone radio on EDGE. I have the brightness at 30% and I turned auto dim off. Auto dim kills battery life too. I leave location off. I listen to my ipod about 6hrs of my daily work. At the end of my work day after I usually have between 55% left. Then I stream pandora home on an hour commute on 3g. I get home with about 20-30% left. My blackberry seems exactly the same but I leave everything on. So its gets better everyday to me.
    08-06-09 01:26 AM
    ive had 6 devices
    i unplug at 645am - fully charged
    maybe 10 texts
    5 mins talking
    5-10 emails
    2-4 hours of ipod
    3g and push and wifi off
    by noon im at 20%
    apple claims they were all "defective"
    best battery life i saw was 5hrs usage
    7 hours since full charge before it diied
    08-08-09 09:05 AM
    I owned one 3G and never had any issues with the device at all. I sold that and bought the 3GS and still haven't had any issues. Some people complain that they have gone through "x" number of devices and if it's true that's simply a run of bad luck. I have owned several BB's and I always had issues with data connections, wifi connections, freezing up and daily battery pulls!
    3GS comes off of the charger at 0600
    I make 5-10 10 minute calls daily
    I am constantly on email
    I keep wifi off, brightness at 30% and location services off
    I listen to music 2-3 hours daily
    Use the browser throughout the day
    I get home around 2300 and I still have 40-45% battery left! Way better than my previous Bold and 8900.
    08-08-09 09:23 AM
    3gs battery is amazing compared to the 3g

today i listened to my iphone for 3 hours

twitter facebook email throughout the day

and i sit down tonight at midnight and i have 40 % battery...

nuf' said
    08-10-09 12:38 AM
    Call me crazy but since I purchased my S the battery seems to be lasting longer and longer every week. I don't even charge it overnight and can go basically till 4pm or so.. WiFi on, 3G on, location services on.. When I first purchased it I could go maybe 5-6 hours..
    08-12-09 07:59 AM
    My 3gs battery life seems to be improving as well. Although I haven't tried yet - I'm fairly confident that I could make it 2 days w/o a charge.
    08-12-09 08:51 AM
    Now I rather wish I had plunked down the extra hundred bucks for the 3gs. I guess I still have a week or so to change my mind. It might not be necessary though, as I'm a nanny so have access to both outlet and computer to charge my phone when it needs it. I'm also verrry tempted to invest the $20 in a phone charger "just in case."

however, the kids LOVE my phone and always want to play games and have me show them videos and such, so my battery does drain fairly quickly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-09 10:56 AM
    I have no complaints about the battery life of the 3GS. It doesn't last as long as my Bold but that is expected. I did have worse battery life when I was jailbroken but without it it has been great.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-09 11:23 AM
    I charge my iPhone 3GS at least once in the afternoon, unless I don't use my phone at all. I always have 3G on (else why have the iPhone). Most features I use are Twitter and texting. I can get through a 24 period with one charge, good thing the phone charges quickly...I can go from 40% to 100% in about 30 minutes.
    08-12-09 09:39 PM
    battery sucks on both which is why i haven't upgrade to the 3gs
    08-16-09 09:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD