Anyone else notice that the new Apple IPhone TV commercials focus on the hands to promote holding the device in a certain way to maintain quality cell signal, got to admire the effort.

What's the name for that?...oh yes, subliminal training

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
    07-09-10 12:54 AM
    Apple, you must not assume your customers to be this dumb; here's an idea, fix the problem, Blackberry and Google both have solid solutions as alternatives to dropped calls.
    07-09-10 01:00 AM
    I've not lost one bar with my i4 yet, even
    with the "death grip" =)
    07-09-10 01:38 AM
    Well, consider yourself amoung one of the few:

/*reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20009628-233.html]Speedtest]Speedtest app shows iPhone 4 trouble spot | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews app shows iPhone 4 trouble spot | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews*/
    07-09-10 02:29 PM
    Among the few?

Just because you've seen 3 or 4 online spots bring this up doesn't mean a thing.

Considering that 2 million have been sold, you can't think 6 people or even 30 reporting this, signify a majority of users.

Especially since many people have no clue about the issue.

What you see on tech blogs is just a very small part of the big picture.
    07-09-10 03:19 PM
    Ok, lets just look at this logically, if no problem at all then why the commercial emphazising the way to hold the phone. Second, even Apple has conceded to issues saying that it's a software issue; Really? a software issue.
    07-09-10 04:35 PM

/*reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20009628-233.html]Speedtest]Speedtest app shows iPhone 4 trouble spot | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews app shows iPhone 4 trouble spot | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews*/
    So your experience with the issue with what
    others online have explained they were having.
    Meaning, you do not have the iPhone 4 and
    have not had this issue. That correct?

Aside from the newbie section where someone
    is praising their BlackBerry at first, how many
    threads are speaking positively vs. negatively.

Same goes for Android or WebOS. It's just
    magnified because it is the iPhone.
    07-09-10 05:08 PM
    So your experience with the issue with what
    others online have explained they were having.
    Meaning, you do not have the iPhone 4 and
    have not had this issue. That correct?

Aside from the newbie section where someone
    is praising their BlackBerry at first, how many
    threads are speaking positively vs. negatively.

Same goes for Android or WebOS. It's just
    magnified because it is the iPhone.

Felt like i needed to give my .02 here .... The reception issue is very real , and effects EVERY iphone4 This is not a software issue , it is a design issue. I just got done issuing over 80 iphone 4s at work , and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM has this issue. There is nothing apple can do to fix it besides provide us all with bumpers , that is the only reasonable thing they can do. A massive recall wont happen , the issue isnt that bad, but it is still unacceptable and needs to be fixed , the only "apple software fix" they will do is change it so the code interprets the signal differently and the phone will no longer "appear" to shift signal , when in reality it still will. its just the fact of the phone

dont get me wrong , i love my iphone , its works , and works well , but , this is a issue.
    07-09-10 05:39 PM
    I have used the device for two days, and experienced a couple of dropped calls, not to say that hasn't happened to the 40 or so smartphones I have had since the Palm Visor.
    Here are a few of my devices I still use today, a 64gb Palm Lifedrive with 1500 dollars in mobile apps, a 32gb Palm Treo 680 with around 1500 dollars worth of mobile apps, Palm Treo 650, Sony Clie, a 64gb HP Ipaq 211 custom to the hilt with another 1500 dollars in mobile apps, HTC Tilt, a Dell Axim x51v, a Ipod Classic with the 50 dollar FM reciever that in my opinion is overpriced at 1 dollar, Ipod Nano with FM radio that cannot pick up a radio station here in Phoenix to save its life and a video camera with less than VGA quality, Ipod Touch, Blackberry Bold 9000, Blackberry Curve 8320, Blackberry Pearl 8100, and all these devices are custom to give you some inside to my technical experience on mobile devices.
    With this I can say that there is not one perfect device on the market and I know this, but to ignore the issues with the IPhone, as well as any and all the competitors which all have their unique issues is conterproductive, do you not agree. Take for example that the Blackberry must be reset daily to use on a regular basis, or the Windows Mobiile devices that lack a quality syncing solution for all the data and media, or the fact that Palm for the longest time would reset whenever you just thought about it. Now for Google, I have used a couple and have not been impressed although the new Galaxy S does show some promise.
    I think my main issue is that I would very much like to see mobile devices come out with very limited software solutions and a lot of hardware solutions so that each individual can build their device with the 3rd party apps that are focused on individual needs. AW, but thus I dream, because Windows Phone is just duplicating the IPhone and its control on how the user gets to use their device.

STILL WAITING FOR THE PERFECT ALL AROUND DEVICE?
    07-09-10 05:45 PM
    Felt like i needed to give my .02 here .... The reception issue is very real , and effects EVERY iphone4 This is not a software issue , it is a design issue. I just got done issuing over 80 iphone 4s at work , and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM has this issue. There is nothing apple can do to fix it besides provide us all with bumpers , that is the only reasonable thing they can do. A massive recall wont happen , the issue isnt that bad, but it is still unacceptable and needs to be fixed , the only "apple software fix" they will do is change it so the code interprets the signal differently and the phone will no longer "appear" to shift signal , when in reality it still will. its just the fact of the phone

dont get me wrong , i love my iphone , its works , and works well , but , this is a issue.
    This would be the best solution for all concerned, lets see if Apple follows through.
    07-09-10 05:55 PM
    I don't think Apple is going to do a darn thing about it. Why would they? They are still selling iPhones like hotcakes.

Even though I pre-ordered a white iPhone 4 from Best Buy, I'm seriously considering taking a pass on it. Is this antenae design going to be totally scrapped for next year's model and then the iP4 will become the ugly stepchild of the iPhone world?
    07-09-10 06:33 PM
    I don't think Apple is going to do a darn thing about it. Why would they? They are still selling iPhones like hotcakes.

Even though I pre-ordered a white iPhone 4 from Best Buy, I'm seriously considering taking a pass on it. Is this antenae design going to be totally scrapped for next year's model and then the iP4 will become the ugly stepchild of the iPhone world?
    There is no way to know this, but sooks is right in saying that this is not a software issue and I am sure Apple is doing its best to fix the problem. However, their best may not be enough and I for one like to have a good signal since I use my mobile devices as if I were an addict and really need that signal for all my online activities, messeging and phone calls.
    Last edited by staplesjohn; 07-09-10 at 07:16 PM.
    07-09-10 07:12 PM
    There is no way to know this, but sooks is right in saying that this is not a software issue and I am sure Apple is doing its best to fix the problem. However, their best may not be enough and I for one like to have a good signal since I use my mobile devices as if I were an addict and really need that signal for all my online activities, messeging and phone calls.
    It would seem some people claim the iP4 reception is superior to the 3gs, and some people say they can't get a signal. Its hard to know what to believe. I go back and forth daily on whether to buy the thing or not. Too bad ATT doesn't have any really great Android options...
    07-09-10 07:57 PM
    It would seem some people claim the iP4 reception is superior to the 3gs, and some people say they can't get a signal. Its hard to know what to believe. I go back and forth daily on whether to buy the thing or not. Too bad ATT doesn't have any really great Android options...
    YOU DO actually get better reception , you also however , if holding the phone wrong , will drop calls or loose signal ....

In regards to ATT getting a solid android , they have 2. The nexus one , little pricy , and the one that comes out on the 19th the samsung capacitive (galaxy s) that phone is going to be SWEET
    07-09-10 08:01 PM
    YOU DO actually get better reception , you also however , if holding the phone wrong , will drop calls or loose signal ....

In regards to ATT getting a solid android , they have 2. The nexus one , little pricy , and the one that comes out on the 19th the samsung capacitive (galaxy s) that phone is going to be SWEET
    I would actually rather not have a Samsung Android device. I was hoping something like the HTC Desire would come to ATT.
    07-09-10 09:34 PM
    Ok, I blatantly made that last statement without knowing ANYTHING about the Galaxy S. After doing some research on YouTube, it does look pretty sweet. The screen is even larger than the HTC Desire. I may have to strongly consider this one.
    07-09-10 10:15 PM
    Anyone else notice that the new Apple IPhone TV commercials focus on the hands to promote holding the device in a certain way to maintain quality cell signal, got to admire the effort.

What's the name for that?...oh yes, subliminal training

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
    A friend of mine sent me a i Phone 5 pic. It had a Motorola cop antenna on it...didn't look to bad IMO.... People were grabbing how they liked! (all fairness aside, apple is updating the OS down the road to address serious bug)
    07-09-10 10:20 PM
    It's not an issue next subject
    07-10-10 01:50 AM
    It's not an issue for me next subject please
    There I fixed it for ya! Ok so the please may have been taking it a lil far.

In all seriousness, I think people are blowing this out of proportion. This is not something that will have iPhone4 owners returning their phones in huge, meaningful amounts. Also, I'm willing to bet it's only certain batches of the phone that are effected. Probably ones with faulty grounding? Who knows.

What I do know for sure, is that only one person I know personally out of a group of maybe 40 that bought iPhone 4's has taken hers back over this issue. So, as CrackberryBrandon put it, "next subject." Please?
    07-10-10 02:19 AM
    There I fixed it for ya! Ok so the please may have been taking it a lil far.

In all seriousness, I think people are blowing this out of proportion. This is not something that will have iPhone4 owners returning their phones in huge, meaningful amounts. Also, I'm willing to bet it's only certain batches of the phone that are effected. Probably ones with faulty grounding? Who knows.

What I do know for sure, is that only one person I know personally out of a group of maybe 40 that bought iPhone 4's has taken hers back over this issue. So, as CrackberryBrandon put it, "next subject." Please?
    My point in saying what I said is pretty much what you already explained. Apple/iPhone haters just want this to be something huge, and it's really not that serious at all. The phone is STILL! selling and will continue to do so regardless of it's bad publicity, from the all to unpopular Geek journalist. So just let it go and move on to that sweet webkit browser you Blackberry users have coming out, and that 10.1 flash on the droid.
    07-10-10 03:10 AM
    Of course, iphone haters need SOMETHING to hate on so they find one little issue and blow it to epic proportions.

Sure, some people are having theres no denying that. It seems that its more prevelant in a low signal area.

Second, I cant imagine why anyone wouldnt want some kind of case or protection for the phone. I mean the front and back are glass- scuffs, scratched- bad.

And if you like to carry it naked then my gosh just get one of those clear stick on body skin things. And if thats even too much for you then just use the strip that goes around the bezel! Or heck cut a tiny strip of an old screen protector and stick it over the black line on the bottom left. It will cure a lot of the signal loss people are seeing from bridging the antennas and no one will ever even see it as its clear.

I mean people would rather complain then find a solution or return the phone. If you dont do something for yourself no one is going to do it for you.
    07-10-10 12:31 PM
    I carry mine naked I'm one of the few though.
    07-10-10 12:39 PM
    My point in saying what I said is pretty much what you already explained. Apple/iPhone haters just want this to be something huge, and it's really not that serious at all. The phone is STILL! selling and will continue to do so regardless of it's bad publicity, from the all to unpopular Geek journalist. So just let it go and move on to that sweet webkit browser you Blackberry users have coming out, and that 10.1 flash on the droid.
    I figured that you would agree with what I said. This whole subject is boring. People need to find something new to hate on.

Of course, iphone haters need SOMETHING to hate on so they find one little issue and blow it to epic proportions.

Sure, some people are having theres no denying that. It seems that its more prevelant in a low signal area.

Second, I cant imagine why anyone wouldnt want some kind of case or protection for the phone. I mean the front and back are glass- scuffs, scratched- bad.

And if you like to carry it naked then my gosh just get one of those clear stick on body skin things. And if thats even too much for you then just use the strip that goes around the bezel! Or heck cut a tiny strip of an old screen protector and stick it over the black line on the bottom left. It will cure a lot of the signal loss people are seeing from bridging the antennas and no one will ever even see it as its clear.

I mean people would rather complain then find a solution or return the phone. If you dont do something for yourself no one is going to do it for you.
    ^ Tons of truth in that post. Well said stuaw11.

I carry mine naked I'm one of the few though.
    Oh man, you are braver than I. If I had an iP4 it would definitely not be naked. Hope your decision works out well for you in the end.
    07-10-10 01:45 PM
    Ok, where did the word IPhone hater come from, not me, I particularly would never own one, but I need more out of my device than most. All I suggested is that Apple find a way to fix it, like with sooks idea of supplying the phone with bumpers instead of manipulation through advertising or writing some code that would somehow magically fix an hardware issue. I'm in a Blackberry community and pointed out the issue with Blackberry in the same thread and you do not see people getting so defensive. I admire Steve Jobs for at least creating defenders to the death of his products through amazing promotion and advertising, he is a true genius.
    07-10-10 02:56 PM
    They are, theres 4.0.1 coming out but people want to pass judgment before it even comes out claiming to know everything from the exact cause of the problem to the solution.

And if the software doesnt work they might just end up giving out free bumpers down the line. Passing judgment so quickly only a week or 2 after launch is silly though. They cant possibly issue any kind of solution that quickly be it software or bumpers until they have some time to investigate the issue.
    07-10-10 03:16 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD