Apple geeks, let me explain the truth about the Iphone. There is a big difference between what a device *can* do, and what one *would actually* do with it.

Yes, 3gs can search for contacts, and can copy and paste, and has a calendar with tons of features you can use, and a GPS you can use..actually the ATT navigator is horrible on the iphone, worse than the blackberry.

The secret? You never WOULD use your iphone as a GPS because the battery runs out. You never would use it's calendar during the hustle and bustle of a day, because it's cumbersome, poorly thought out, and leaves a user prone to making mistakes. It does not default to the calendar reminder, for example. That means you have to spend 5-10 seconds turning the reminder on. The calendar takes, roughly, 30 times more time to use than the blackberry's...if you're lucky enough to not get a call while you are entering a date..if you do that, it erases all of your work. It is a really bad calendar. There is no argument.

You never would use this thing as a tool, unless you were recharging it all the time. The point of a cell phone is that it does not have to be attached to a wall.

You can't search your contacts quickly, it's difficult. It's hard to manage files, and the whole mac money suck aspects of using itunes, and only being able to use certain kinds of media files, let alone this jailbreaking thing. Iphone's are stupid, man. Not worth it at all, not to me. I don't have time to run obstacle courses of kitchy, pretty things that are designed to make nerdy mac heads happy. Nor do I have time to "jailbreak" it, rebelling by submitting myself to complicated downloading strategies. I want efficiency and usefulness. This has neither. Niether at all. Before the 3gs, the iphone was a joke to me, completely useless. Now?

iphone 3gs : C-

just sold it on cragslist, used, for $650.

Can't wait to hear all the mac heads answer with all this lemon can do. I want things I would do.

Fromobile
    Last edited by fromobile; 08-22-09 at 07:13 PM.
    08-22-09 07:00 PM
    Hmm. Congrats?
    08-22-09 07:03 PM
    Sorry the iPhone didn't work out for you. Good luck with your BB.
    08-22-09 07:05 PM
    I guess I have one of those freak iPhones because I have no problem with my battery life I admittedly don't keep GPS running all day, not sure why anyone would.

As far as the calendar, I somewhat agree, it could be implemented better. Those drawbacks I can live with since I can actually sync my calendar and my entire email inbox without having to connect to my laptop. Most of my calendar entries are added by someone else so I guess it's not as much of an issue for me.

Good luck with your new BB, once RIM fixes BIS, I will more than likely switch back also........
    08-22-09 07:24 PM
    What's wrong with BIS?
    08-22-09 08:04 PM
    What's wrong with BIS?

Just to name a few:
    • You can only sync your inbox, if your messages are in subfolders, you don't get the message.
    • You cannot sync contacts, calendar or tasks unless you connect to your pc
    • 5MB size limit on file downloads
    • 8MB (really 5MB including encoding) size limits on email messages with no option to get the rest of the message
    • No remote wipe or any way to disable a stolen device
    • Poor intranet connectivity
    These things could all be addressed by RIM via software updates they wouldn't need to change a single thing on any of their phones. Unless one of my Blackberries dies for some reason, I probably won't buy another until they are addressed. I shouldn't have to pay for a BES solution just to get what I consider the basics, especially when I already paying for "unlimited data".
    08-22-09 08:34 PM
    Yeah. That's a bummer. Enjoy the 8310. I had one about 3 years ago. It's a good phone. IMHO the iPhone is about 100 times the device... But to each his or her own.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-09 10:05 AM
    I would just go back to an 8900.
    08-23-09 10:42 AM
    thanks! I just wish that the mac execs would make the iphone better. They seem so interested in keeping it a certain way, I think because they believe when you add too many options it confuses dumber customers, and makes the "overall affect" of the phone less classy...sort of like a small menu at a fancy restaurant. It need to be customizable and the calendar needs to be less of a complete disaster.
    08-23-09 10:43 AM
    thanks! I just wish that the mac execs would make the iphone better. They seem so interested in keeping it a certain way, I think because they believe when you add too many options it confuses dumber customers, and makes the "overall affect" of the phone less classy...sort of like a small menu at a fancy restaurant. It need to be customizable and the calendar needs to be less of a complete disaster.
    well apple must be doing something right. Just look at the units sold. Its a pretty impressive number. And just remember, not everyone has the same issues you do. Why change the form or function of the device if they have been able to make millions with the current design. I do agree that all manufacturers including RIM, Palm, Nokia etc etc etc need to listen to its customers more and try and address the most common issues. They cant fix all the things that you have issues with because not everyone is dissatisfied with the same things you are. Everyone has different ideas about what works and what doesnt. Some like how the calendar functions, some dont. Some like the simplistic function and some think it should have more bells and whistles.
    08-23-09 01:36 PM
    Milli Vanilli sold lots too. Also, people buy designer garbage all the time. The simple fact is that many of the things on the iphone are not usable. I would like to see a person jot one or two appointments down in their calendar at the end of a meeting, get in the car, use GPS, get a call on the way there, then resume their trip... impossible. It takes too long. The battery is dead..The programs close when you get a call, Navigator is terrible, doesn't work... Impossible. That is completely ridiculous. Fun? At times. Ragdoll Blaster is awesome, the guitar tuners are amazing. Tiger Woods Golf? I'm the MAN! MY PUTTING GAME IS INCREDIBLE!

Bells and whistles? It's got too many bells and whistles. They made and sold more affective and efficient electronic calendars at Wal-Mart in 1998. Since the beginning of paper calendars, people point where they want their appointment, and then write. Electronic calendars typically let you point where you want an appointment, and then write. Seems like with a TOUCH SCREEN, one would want to do that, too. The bells and whistles on the iphone (like having to go to that extremely silly rolly ball date and time page, which is two pages of navigation away from your calandar page) are made with a complete disregard for how they affect the functionality of the device. They truly don't care. They cared about making something you could watch itunes movies with...for an hour and a half.

Look, the mac people know they are leaving functionality out. It's not like they are reading surveys and saying "wow! good idea!", they are instead saying "hey, consumers will put up with so much inconvenience, that we don't really need to give them something useful, let's just make it pretty! that sells more!" Check please.
    Last edited by fromobile; 08-23-09 at 03:37 PM.
    08-23-09 03:30 PM
    sucks the phone wasn't what you wanted but its not for everyone. glad you were able to settle with a replacement just can't believe you pulled a milli vanilli reference, hilarious
    08-23-09 04:29 PM
    sucks the phone wasn't what you wanted but its not for everyone. glad you were able to settle with a replacement just can't believe you pulled a milli vanilli reference, hilarious
    yes he really did go there

blame it on rain, yeah yeah!!
    08-23-09 04:36 PM
    I bet you can buy Girl You Know It's True on your iphone right now...just don't count on being able to transfer it to your hard drive later. Hey, you guys are good sports, thanks for absorbing some of my rage. Really!
    Good times!
    08-23-09 04:53 PM
    I love the iPhone and I was given one to test out at one of my jobs to see if it would be suitable for our work environment. While it was able to handle the things that we needed to get done, the battery did not even come close to lasting as long as the Blackberry phones we currently use, which was sad. I was really looking forward to getting a free 3GS.

As an iPod owner since its conception, one thing that has always been constant, is the poor battery life, which has apparently crossed over into the iPhone.

Maybe Apple should look at making an alternate iPhone with a removable battery. I would take a slightly bigger iPhone if it had this feature.

Overview: Great phone, needs a longer lasting battery.
    08-24-09 12:49 AM
    i love my iphone i just wish the enetire hardware didn't rely on apps and they were used as an enhancer but instead without apps there is no device.

i am sorry you were not happy with the iphone but truth is every device is not for everyone.

this is not towards the OP but i think a lot of people expect too much from the iphone since it is mainly geared towards what apple does best MEDIA! the iphone is a media centric phone that has the best web browser on a mobile device. i think too many people expect the heart of a BB in the iphone when in truth it was always geared towards media and only through apps can it be used for business. It is a great device but truth is no device is perfect Apple is trying to keep it running very fast but the problem with that is it removes functionality they need to find a way to minimize the apps you close to keep them running at a fraction of the cost to the memory. so you can pull them back up later, and enable a task manager to kill apps you are done with.

all in all i hope you find a new device whether you return to a BB or maybe you will try out the pre or android devices which seem very promising. the one good thing about the iphone is you can usually get your money back for them haha
    08-24-09 02:13 AM
    Just to name a few:
    • You can only sync your inbox, if your messages are in subfolders, you don't get the message.
    • You cannot sync contacts, calendar or tasks unless you connect to your pc
    • 5MB size limit on file downloads
    • 8MB (really 5MB including encoding) size limits on email messages with no option to get the rest of the message
    • No remote wipe or any way to disable a stolen device
    • Poor intranet connectivity
    These things could all be addressed by RIM via software updates they wouldn't need to change a single thing on any of their phones. Unless one of my Blackberries dies for some reason, I probably won't buy another until they are addressed. I shouldn't have to pay for a BES solution just to get what I consider the basics, especially when I already paying for "unlimited data".
    DING DING

Ive said this probably 50 times, BIS is mostly USELESS as an email tool. Until RIM gets on the ball and gives BIS users the same features as BES users, its really just an inbox.

For being the "email king" RIM needs to beef up their consumer offering if they expect to compete. WM, iphone, Pre, some Androids, even dumbphones can integrate with exchange. Pretty much most smartphones sold. Theres no reason BIS is so lacking for the average user and neglects the exchange crowd, which is still a huge number of people.

Even if I didnt have exchange and just Gmail, even support for that is still horrible even with the new plugin. And you still dont get folders, which people ACTUALLY do use. Who wants a 200 message inbox with no organization?

I wont touch another BB until RIM gets BIS up to speed since I have exchange and its utterly useless with BIS.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 08-25-09 at 02:25 AM.
    08-25-09 02:22 AM
    Yup, I was very disappointed with the iPhone too. When I got it I emailed everyone letting them know my number had changed (I had an extra line) and WOOHOOed for about 24 hours straight. Until I realized that the battery sucked.
    Yes, it's capable of doing all kinds of things, but basic stuff, like being able to receive push email, 3G, and actually talk on the phone drains the battery in less than a day.
    I order to get a full day's worth I had to shut off all the functionalities that made the device a great phone, so what I had left was a phone functionality similar to my Motorola V551 circa 2004.
    It's a *gorgeous* device and the best web browser anywhere. But....it's my toy. Really, it's all it is, for me. Sits at the bottom of my bag until I get on the train, then I use it as a mini notebook.
    What do I use for email, calls and managing my day? My Bold!!! And I don't have to charge that every single day. And I can carry a spare battery. There *are* instances where you can't hook up to a power source, guys! Thank God I kept that Bold!!!
    08-25-09 07:52 AM
    Ummm... Since you're not one of those "dumber customers" why didn't you jailbreak the thing and do anything you want to it from that point? Your OP is misleading as to the process and time involved with jailbreaking... You could have had your exact same iPhone, except that it would have been jailbroken, in 30 minutes. No longer than a BB OS update.
    08-25-09 10:01 AM
    DING DING

Ive said this probably 50 times, BIS is mostly USELESS as an email tool. Until RIM gets on the ball and gives BIS users the same features as BES users, its really just an inbox.

For being the "email king" RIM needs to beef up their consumer offering if they expect to compete. WM, iphone, Pre, some Androids, even dumbphones can integrate with exchange. Pretty much most smartphones sold. Theres no reason BIS is so lacking for the average user and neglects the exchange crowd, which is still a huge number of people.

Even if I didnt have exchange and just Gmail, even support for that is still horrible even with the new plugin. And you still dont get folders, which people ACTUALLY do use. Who wants a 200 message inbox with no organization?

I wont touch another BB until RIM gets BIS up to speed since I have exchange and its utterly useless with BIS.
    I guess you have been getting ignored too. I have been making these same points over and over and no one seems to think these are serious issues in the year 2009, I just don't get it.

Also, BIS only checks for new messages every 15 minutes or so until you get at least 1 message then the checks become more frequent for a while. Is this really push email? It sounds more like a smart fetch to me. I've been a BB user forever and I love their products, but RIM is getting over big time with BIS.
    08-25-09 10:28 AM
    I guess you have been getting ignored too. I have been making these same points over and over and no one seems to think these are serious issues in the year 2009, I just don't get it.

Also, BIS only checks for new messages every 15 minutes or so until you get at least 1 message then the checks become more frequent for a while. Is this really push email? It sounds more like a smart fetch to me. I've been a BB user forever and I love their products, but RIM is getting over big time with BIS.
    Of course. and like you I loved my Bold too

But the Blackberry fanboys want to call the iphone a toy? How is BIS less of a toy being a glorified inbox? At least we can do exchange or Gmail (IMAP) with folders and contacts/calendar syncing.

Sounds to me like the iphone "toy" has more email functionality than BIS by a long shot.
    08-25-09 10:22 PM
    Ummm... Since you're not one of those "dumber customers" why didn't you jailbreak the thing and do anything you want to it from that point? Your OP is misleading as to the process and time involved with jailbreaking... You could have had your exact same iPhone, except that it would have been jailbroken, in 30 minutes. No longer than a BB OS update.

Mainly because I'm not enough of a geek to sit around doing B.S. to my cell phone all day, watching youtube videos for how to set up customizable vibrate mode on a lemon...etc. I'm enough of a geek to sit online and whine about it, but not enough of one to do that. I want things to WORK. As a matter of fact, when I spend money on a device like I did on that iphone, I want it to WORK RIGHT NOW. "well, the way you do that is to just jailbreak it, and disable this, and download that, and make sure the sound file is this kind...etc". Oh PLEASE. Find another sucker. I have a life.

I'm telling you, the last few days with my 8310 curve have been amazing. It's like falling in love again. The GPS is phenominal! stays on while you text people and take calls, battery lasts a century. Amazing.
    08-25-09 11:57 PM
    Mainly because I'm not enough of a geek to sit around doing B.S. to my cell phone all day, watching youtube videos for how to set up customizable vibrate mode on a lemon...etc. I'm enough of a geek to sit online and whine about it, but not enough of one to do that. I want things to WORK. As a matter of fact, when I spend money on a device like I did on that iphone, I want it to WORK RIGHT NOW. "well, the way you do that is to just jailbreak it, and disable this, and download that, and make sure the sound file is this kind...etc". Oh PLEASE. Find another sucker. I have a life.

I'm telling you, the last few days with my 8310 curve have been amazing. It's like falling in love again. The GPS is phenominal! stays on while you text people and take calls, battery lasts a century. Amazing.
    I can understand you not wanting to have to do those things but thats what makes these devices so fun. Being able to customize them and try different things on them. Whether its the Jesus phone or a BB. They all are fun to mess around with and tweak. Im one of the ones that will tweak just about anything. Car, truck, computer, BB, Iphone, etc . Its just how some of us are. So Jailbreaking the Iphone is a no brainer for me. Oh and I do have a life so that reallys doesnt make sense saying you cant have a life and still do those things to your phone.
    08-26-09 01:27 AM

the device works right and exactly as it was designed to just not the way you want it to. that does really not classify as it not working right. and the iphone was never advertised to do something it can't some people just did not understand what they were purchasing. because the iphone does everything it says it is supposed to perfectly, but people expect it to do more.
    08-26-09 02:46 AM
    the device works right and exactly as it was designed to just not the way you want it to. that does really not classify as it not working right. and the iphone was never advertised to do something it can't some people just did not understand what they were purchasing. because the iphone does everything it says it is supposed to perfectly, but people expect it to do more.

Well it can do more if they take the time and the proper steps to make it do more.
    08-26-09 02:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD