I am a faithful Verizon customer and last summer I finally gave up waiting for the iPhone and got my first smartphone, Bold 9650. It was fine for email and BBM with my daughter but I finally realized that I was paying $29.99 per month for data and not fully utilizing the data service. So, last Friday I took the plunge and got the iPhone 4 and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!!! I could not be happier. I do feel bad that my BB Bold looks brand new and was functioning fine. The guy at Verizon suggested selling it on eBay - he thought I could get $300. Just curious what all you switchers do with your old BBs. Thanks!
    P.S. One other question, my daughter still has BB 9650 and she said my iPhone text messages are coming to her as BBM messages. Strange.
    05-11-11 08:31 AM
    I buy and sell every single blackberry I have ever owned and then sold them when I am done with them. Ebay makes it so easy, you just list it and you get notified when it sells. I usually put it at a starting price and make it an auction with a buy it now. Ebay makes that free, so you don't have to pay for charges through that department. Paypal takes a little bit of money and you ship, (that's common as pretty much every single way you sell, you will use paypal) it is the best option ever. You really can't go wrong because you don't have to do ANYTHING!! You can sell on other places but are constantly answering questions and negotiating price and Ebay is just so much easier.
    05-11-11 09:38 AM
    Thank you BiG BaLLA 923 - you make it sound so easy that maybe even I who has never even been on eBay could do it! One other question, is there anything I need to do to the BB to make sure there is no personal info on it?
    05-11-11 09:43 AM
    I would do a security wipe, if you haven't already done it. It sets everything back the way it was when you got the blackberry.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...y-device-4585/

Any of the methods that he said work but it is easiest to do this one: Select the Wipe Handheld Option
    That one is the easiest one.
    tennisannie likes this.
    05-11-11 09:48 AM
    I have had good luck with CraigsList. You should be able to get around $200.00 for your 9650.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-11 10:02 AM
    or you could list it here in the marketplace.
    05-11-11 10:59 PM
    I am a faithful Verizon customer and last summer I finally gave up waiting for the iPhone and got my first smartphone, Bold 9650. It was fine for email and BBM with my daughter but I finally realized that I was paying $29.99 per month for data and not fully utilizing the data service. So, last Friday I took the plunge and got the iPhone 4 and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!!! I could not be happier. I do feel bad that my BB Bold looks brand new and was functioning fine. The guy at Verizon suggested selling it on eBay - he thought I could get $300. Just curious what all you switchers do with your old BBs. Thanks!
    P.S. One other question, my daughter still has BB 9650 and she said my iPhone text messages are coming to her as BBM messages. Strange.
    Make sure that when VZW switched you over they took you OFF the BB plan and put you on the iPhone data plan.
    05-12-11 11:24 AM
    This is my story almost to a tee. Got mine last summer, daughter talked me into it because of BBM..Then I got frustratred with it because it wasn't very good for web surfing and couldn't justify paying the $30/mo for the data plan. I blew my contract upgrade from origionally getting a Tour for a 2for1 deal..It had no WiFi so i upgraded to a 9650..Got WiFi but still bad browsing experience. I couldn't wait for the iPhone once it came out and I had no contract options so I was that desperate to get my hands on the iPhone that I went and leased an additional line for $9/month for 2 yrs so I can get the 32gb iphone at $299 instead of retail, then switch the iPhone back to my origional number. It I'm still saving $300 over the next two years had I bought it outright. Not the best option, but the only option and I'm glad I did it. For what I use my phone for, the iPhone is the perfect phone.

As for my 9650, I'm hanging on to it because I got two other BB's my kids are using so I'll keep it as a spare or give to the wife if she wants to go to a smartphone. Otherwise, I would've sold it off.
    Last edited by zwoof; 05-12-11 at 11:40 AM.
    05-12-11 11:34 AM
    The BBM message thing is a setting. She probably has it set to receive SMS through BBM. If you go to the options you can change that!
    05-12-11 12:18 PM
    Why don't you put your BB into "paperweight" mode?
    05-12-11 07:42 PM
    Also if you or anyone else out there reading this doesn't like eBay or craigslist I found this place called Gazelle.com that makes it really easy to sell your old stuff. Just an idea.
    05-14-11 05:58 PM
    I would do a security wipe, if you haven't already done it. It sets everything back the way it was when you got the blackberry....
    I second the wipe! Make sure you either do a 'secure' wipe of the memory card, or remove it from the device and destroy it if you're not going to reuse it.

I'm a photographer and I've had a couple incidents whereby by memory cards became corrupted and images were lost. Fortunately, I have software that allows me to retrieve corrupted and deleted files from a memory card - even after it has been formatted. In my experience, you can only ensure that a card has been 'wiped' if it has been 'overwritten' [several times] by a software program designed to securely wipe cards and devices.

Based on the aforementioned, I refuse to sell my old phones - I simply destroy them. Since I can't access all of the phone's files and folders to perform my 21-pass overwrite algorithm, I can't be sure (and highly doubt) that all data was destroyed by the device's security wipe.

If you've used your device to make purchases online, or accessed any financial sites where you've had to enter passwords and/or account numbers, I'd be very cautious about selling it - you never know who's hands that device is going to end-up in.
    05-16-11 02:56 PM
    BB's do full wipes...

Idk why you are so afraid of selling it. As long as you wipe with a new OS Install it will be fine.

05-16-11 03:00 PM
    If you ever travel outside of North America and a few select countries that support CDMA, you may want to keep it to use when you need a World phone.
    05-16-11 03:03 PM
    BB's do full wipes...

Idk why you are so afraid of selling it. As long as you wipe with a new OS Install it will be fine.
    It takes nearly an hour for my program to wipe a 2Gb card. It takes 5-10 minutes for the BB to finalize it's wipe process. Given the contrast between the two time-frames, I would be reluctant to develop confidence in the thoroughness of BB's secure wipe.

I'm not opposed to wiping and selling your old phone. I'm merely advocating that if you've stored passwords, personal identifiers, financial institution information - or anything else on it that can be used against you to make your life miserable - it's better to be safe than sorry.

When I first considered selling an old BlackBerry [which stored practically every facet of my life], my thought process was: "The 50-100 bucks that I get now, could cost me thousands later... NEVER MIND!"
    05-16-11 05:24 PM
    You're comparing apples to oranges. Different structures altogether.

If a security wipe wasn't complete and irreversible, it would nullify the whole security concept that has been cleared and used by governments and leaders of industry everyday.
    05-16-11 06:15 PM
    More people use Ebay for used phones than anywhere else, but you need a Paypal account. If you are only planning on selling that one single thing it's probably not worth it to set up a Paypal account with your bank account. But if you buy things on ebay you should have one. Many merchants prefer Paypal because the default is to debit your bank, eliminating the CC fee. You could have bought a nice Verizon Iphone on Ebay pretty cheaply too.
    05-16-11 06:29 PM
    Keep it just incase your iphone breaks or gets lost, you can always have a back up until you get the replacement, and if you like to travel outside the USA I would keep it as well because you can use it as a world phone (you would just need to call verizon and tell them to unlock it for you because your going outside the country)

05-24-11 02:21 PM
    Thanks everyone, yes, I have decided just to keep the BB (just in case). But boy, I sure do LOVE my iPhone!!!!!
    05-24-11 03:32 PM
    I used to sell my phones on eBay all the time when I upgraded. I bet you could get $300+ on eBay for a new barely/not used Bold 9650. I had that phone before I switched to the I4, but it was a work phone so I had to give it back. It was a gorgeous phone and it was great to use as a supervisor. ANYWAY, eBay, Craigslist.. those are the best seller sites.
    05-25-11 10:05 AM
    This is my story almost to a tee. Got mine last summer, daughter talked me into it because of BBM..Then I got frustratred with it because it wasn't very good for web surfing and couldn't justify paying the $30/mo for the data plan. I blew my contract upgrade from origionally getting a Tour for a 2for1 deal..It had no WiFi so i upgraded to a 9650..Got WiFi but still bad browsing experience. I couldn't wait for the iPhone once it came out and I had no contract options so I was that desperate to get my hands on the iPhone that I went and leased an additional line for $9/month for 2 yrs so I can get the 32gb iphone at $299 instead of retail, then switch the iPhone back to my origional number. It I'm still saving $300 over the next two years had I bought it outright. Not the best option, but the only option and I'm glad I did it. For what I use my phone for, the iPhone is the perfect phone.

As for my 9650, I'm hanging on to it because I got two other BB's my kids
    are using so I'll keep it as a spare or give to the wife if she wants to go to a
    smartphone. Otherwise, I would've sold it off.
    This is how I am feeling now. I like my BB Bold 9650 but I can't justify paying for the data plan when the web browsing is not very good at all. It feels more like a texting phone which is why I like it for that but browsing stinks. I am leaning towards an iphone. I am not wild about a touchscreen keyboard but there aren't many options on Verizon for physical keyboards and the iphine seems like the best option out there.
    05-28-11 08:13 PM
    This is how I am feeling now. I like my BB Bold 9650 but I can't justify paying for the data plan when the web browsing is not very good at all. It feels more like a texting phone which is why I like it for that but browsing stinks. I am leaning towards an iphone. I am not wild about a touchscreen keyboard but there aren't many options on Verizon for physical keyboards and the iphine seems like the best option out there.
    Understand. You can sell them on Gazelle.com (just heard that on the Tech Guy...looks like a good idea). I agree...if rich, I'd have a BB Bold and the iPhone. The iPhone is so much easier for phone calls outbound and for call logs...
    05-28-11 09:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD