Here's the story. I have 4 lines with AT&T and only to are active (mines and the wife's). The other 2 are suspended because family members abusing the minutes use. Anyhow, my wife dropped her 3G in the sink and the home button stop working. This is not an uncommon issue and is fixable but she wanted a another phone.... the 3GS. It was going to cost me 80 bucks to get the phone fixed. The guy that fixes the phones in my area offered 200 to take it off my hands..... so I took it. Now he can fix it for himself and make a profit.

So what I did added a new line of service. Since I have a business account, no activation fees. Start the new line and bought a refurb white 3GS 16GB from at&t for 150. So i'm already up 50 bucks. Cancelled one of the suspended lines and the cancellation fee was 125. Net out of pocket is 75 bucks.

I always keep an extra line on the account. The additional 10 bucks a months saves a lot more when wanting to upgrade to a new, high end device when it's released. Moral of the story, where there's a will, there's a way LOL.
    11-18-09 08:04 AM
    I'm not following you on this...

You paid $150.00 for the iPhone 3GS

You paid $125.00 to cancel an existing line, then added another line to your account to end up with the same number of lines in the end.

$150.00 + $125.00 = $275.00

Looks to me like you paid $275.00 for a refurbished iPhone 3GS, and ended up with the same number of lines on your account. Not a terrible deal, considering what full retail is on a 3GS; but not a 3GS for $75.00.
    11-18-09 08:54 AM
    You forgot that I received 200 bucks for a water damaged iPhone. So my total out of the pocket costs was only 75 bucks. And that was my goal, to keep the same number of lines but only pay minimum to get the upgraded phone. So instead of paying 80 bucks outright to fix a water damaged 3G, I only paid 75 bucks to get a 3GS while and still having the same number of lines. Follow me now?
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 11-18-09 at 09:54 AM.
    11-18-09 09:50 AM
    Whoops.... I did indeed. Apologies.
    11-18-09 09:53 AM
    Sounds like not that much work for an iPhone for cheap! And its new! Nice one!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-09 10:11 AM
    Sounds like not that much work for an iPhone for cheap! And its new! Nice one!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yeah exactly my point. Everything happened in the same day. Sold the 3G Tuesday morning. Added a new line on the web at work, went to finish up at the AT&T store on my lunch break, called AT&T later to cancel the other line and there you go.
    11-18-09 10:19 AM
    Whoops.... I did indeed. Apologies.
    LOL. No prob. Now my other line that is suspended, I will most likely do the same thing when the next iPhone comes out. By then, my ETF fee will be even lower and I'll have a 3GS to sell which hopefully gives me a net gain
    11-18-09 10:21 AM

LOL. No prob. Now my other line that is suspended, I will most likely do the same thing when the next iPhone comes out. By then, my ETF fee will be even lower and I'll have a 3GS to sell which hopefully gives me a net gain
    good one you should sell it by may next year as apple usually release the new iphone every june
    11-18-09 11:48 AM
    good one you should sell it by may next year as apple usually release the new iphone every june
    I'll sell it when the new one comes out. I can wait a little while to sell it LOL.
    11-18-09 12:55 PM
    You forgot to add the cost of your wife's 3G when it was purchased.....

Im just kidding. Nice tho.
    11-19-09 05:52 PM
    Thats sticking it to the man.!!
    11-19-09 05:58 PM
    Good deal bro..
    11-19-09 09:08 PM
    You forgot to add the cost of your wife's 3G when it was purchased.....

Im just kidding. Nice tho.
    Come on man, you know that cost doesn't matter after 1 year LOL.
    11-20-09 10:56 AM
    that was a very good deal!
    11-23-09 04:48 PM
    sounds lke working thes system nicely to me!
    11-30-09 03:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD