True. You can do everything without a Computer.

I was saying I believe if you want to WiFi sync with a Computer with iTunes you have to plus it in at least once to check that box in iTunes. Sorry for the confusion.
    TurboTiger likes this.
    12-07-11 09:40 AM
    True. You can do everything without a Computer.

I was saying I believe if you want to WiFi sync with a Computer with iTunes you have to plug it in at least once to check that box in iTunes. Sorry for the confusion.
    The Gift likes this.
    12-07-11 09:41 AM
    I set up everything without syncing to my wife's laptop.
    An Apple ID was issued during the iPad setup process.

The only reason I did sync (vis usb) to the laptop was to get the IE bookmarks and photos from the laptop onto the iPad.

I have another question:
    When I use the 4 finger gesture to close an app, am I really closing the app? A double click on the home button causes those apps which I closed with the 4 fingers gesture. to appear at the bottom of the screens. So are they there because they are still open or are they there to display the most recent apps I had open?

The good news is I know how to get rid of them -press/hold, wait for the jiggle then hit the minus sign in the upper left corner of the icons.

The user guide is confusing on this one for me.
    TIA
    12-07-11 08:16 PM

The only reason I did sync (vis usb) to the laptop was to get the IE bookmarks and photos from the laptop onto the iPad.

I have another question:
    When I use the 4 finger gesture to close an app, am I really closing the app? A double click on the home button causes those apps which I closed with the 4 fingers gesture. to appear at the bottom of the screens. So are they there because they are still open or are they there to display the most recent apps I had open?

The good news is I know how to get rid of them -press/hold, wait for the jiggle then hit the minus sign in the upper left corner of the icons.

TIA
    In regards to the apps you see sitting at the bottom after double click of the home button--I've heard mixed things. 1) that the apps are there and just "idling" but not running where you left off and 2) they are there open and need to be "x'd" out via the method you mentioned, because they are still running.

So with that being said, what I do for my iPhone is in the middle of the day ill go in and close them out to start "fresh" and then at night before turning in, I make sure I close them all out again.

So it's really up to your wife and how often she wants to go in and close them out.
    TurboTiger likes this.
    12-08-11 06:59 AM

I have another question:

TIA
    I don't have an iPad yet

But I believe it works somewhat like all iOS devices, meaning when you 4 finger swipe the app away but still see it pop up in the multitasking tray, all that means is that the app is closed and theoretically not running, fwiw Apple say this should not impact the efficiency of the device... But for piece of mind and like you have already found out, jiggling the app and pressing the X or minus will Quit the app altogether.
    12-08-11 07:06 AM
    Tks for info iPinkk and The Gift.
    That clears that up for me.

Another question:
    Am I doing any harm to the iPad if I close the Smart Cover and leave it that way over night couple of days without turning the iPad off or is it best to turn it off?
    I love being able to just flip the Smart Cover up and it's on.
    TIA
    12-08-11 08:12 PM
    Hey TT. I can't remember the las time I actually shut off my iPad. I always leave it on sleep mode when I'm not using it. With that being said, there isn't a day that goes by without me using it lol. I wouldn't think it'll do any harm leaving it on sleep mode till you go back to it in a day or 2. If anything the battery will tend to drain a little just from standing by, but shouldn't be a huge loss.

If my iphone isn't in my hand, then my iPad usually is and sometimes I'm using both at the same time
    TurboTiger likes this.
    12-08-11 08:50 PM
    Hey TT. I can't remember the las time I actually shut off my iPad. I always leave it on sleep mode when I'm not using it. With that being said, there isn't a day that goes by without me using it lol. I wouldn't think it'll do any harm leaving it on sleep mode till you go back to it in a day or 2. If anything the battery will tend to drain a little just from standing by, but shouldn't be a huge loss.

If my iphone isn't in my hand, then my iPad usually is and sometimes I'm using both at the same time
    Again iPinkk thanks for the info and I was glad to hear what you had to say.

Now this time, I dont' have another question - for now.

Good Luck
    12-08-11 09:10 PM
    Again iPinkk thanks for the info and I was glad to hear what you had to say.

Now this time, I dont' have another question - for now.

Good Luck
    you are quite welcome TT. there are always plenty of us here to help out when ever needed

enjoy the iPad
    12-09-11 07:25 AM
    Hey guys, I have another question.

We use Google for email and contacts.
    Trying to determine if using iPad2 native email and contacts will interact with Gmail just as it does with my BlackBerry>

Specifically:
    If I import Contacts from Google will it sync wireless so that any updated contacts done on the iPad2 will update the contacts in Gmail. Will it sync wirelessly with contact changes done in Gmail back to the iPad2?

What about email. Do they sync? When I delete an email on my iPad2 will it give me a choice of deleting it only on the iPad2 or on Google server and the iPad2?

If wireless syncing works, how long does it usually take for changes to appear?

Or should I just not mess with the iPad2 native email and contacts and just access Gmail through the web?

My wife be accesses Gmail from multiple computer.

Gee I hope the above is clear.

TIA
    12-17-11 09:42 PM
    Setup gmail as exchange and yes it will sync.

Sent from my MD276LL using Tapatalk
    TurboTiger likes this.
    12-18-11 06:27 AM
    I bought my wife an iPad 2 also yesterday for Xmas. She tried her friends the other day and loved it. She uses a Bold 9900 and has used Blackberry for a few years and woke up today saying she wants an iPad and iPhone lol. Got her the iPad, maybe her birthday I'll get her an iPhone
    12-18-11 08:42 AM
    I bought my wife an iPad 2 also yesterday for Xmas. She tried her friends the other day and loved it. She uses a Bold 9900 and has used Blackberry for a few years and woke up today saying she wants an iPad and iPhone lol. Got her the iPad, maybe her birthday I'll get her an iPhone
    Way to go DX9

Good Luck
    12-18-11 08:29 PM
    Setup gmail as exchange and yes it will sync.

Sent from my MD276LL using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the info AP,
    This will help.
    Good Luck
    12-18-11 08:32 PM
    Wife opens her gift today. Her new White iPad 2. She was shocked and extremely happy. I also bought her a White 4s to go along with it. Using her new Apple products all day. Her Bold 9900 is now in the drawer. Now I want an iPad lol
    12-25-11 03:17 PM
    Wife opens her gift today. Her new White iPad 2. She was shocked and extremely happy. I also bought her a White 4s to go along with it. Using her new Apple products all day. Her Bold 9900 is now in the drawer. Now I want an iPad lol
    Wow,
    New iPad and 4s.
    Sounds like your wife hit the jackpot for Christmas.
    Good luck
    12-25-11 06:37 PM
    Just wanted to thank you guys for getting me up and running on my wife's new iPad2.
    We both love it.

In fact, I just bought in iPhone 4S for myself. Nice. A lot less stressful since I became familiar with the Apple scene setting up the iPad 2.

Thanks again.
    Good Luck
    DX9 likes this.
    01-25-12 04:50 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD