We're BB and Windows users.

Just bought an iPad2 16GB for my wife for Christmas. (On sale at the Apple web site for about $459.

We don't have an iTunes account.
    What can I do when it arrives to have this thing ready to go when my wife open's the box?

Really clueless when it come to Apple and the iPad.

TIA
    11-25-11 07:58 PM
    Hi TurboTiger, well congrats on getting your wife an iPad To be prepared, first thing you should do is go onto apples website and download iTunes to your computer. Once you have that downloaded, create an account on iTunes using either a personal email or create a new email account to be used just for your wifes iPad if you don't want it being mixed with your personal email account. You will also use this user name(email) and password on your iPad in the app store to download free or paid apps.

When the iPad comes, the first thing your going to need to do is open iTunes on your computer and USB the iPad to get it set up. Set up is pretty simple and self explanatory.

Once you do that, you should be good to go. iOS is very easy to use and I think your wife will enjoy it I've had mine(ipad1) for 2yrs now and I love it

Hopefully if there's anything I forgot to mention, someone will chime in and add on.

Again, congrats and enjoy !!
    11-25-11 08:58 PM
    When the iPad comes, the first thing your going to need to do is open iTunes on your computer and USB the iPad to get it set up. Set up is pretty simple and self explanatory.
    !!
    Hi iPinkk and thanks for the tips. I don't want my wife to go through the frustration of trying to set things up before she can use it. She's not expecting an iPad and I know she'll really surprise.

I assume you mean open iTunes on my laptop and then connect the USB to the iPad.
    Right?
    TIA
    11-25-11 09:07 PM
    I think it's fun to learn new gadgetry so I'd say leave it unopened and do it together!
    11-25-11 09:11 PM
    Hi iPinkk and thanks for the tips. I don't want my wife to go through the frustration of trying to set things up before she can use it. She's not expecting an iPad and I know she'll really surprise.

I assume you mean open iTunes on my laptop and then connect the USB to the iPad.
    Right?

TIA
    Yw TT !! and yes, open iTunes on your laptop first. Once the program is completely open, then you can connect the iPad and iTunes will detect a 'new device' And then you can just follow the set up from there.
    11-25-11 09:12 PM
    I think it's fun to learn new gadgetry so I'd say leave it unopened and do it together!
    dalton4L,

Too much happening at my house on Christmas morning and it would turn out to be a source of frustration as oppose to a joyful event.
    The learning curve happens after it's set up. Then my wife will not allow me to do anything without her understanding how to do it herself.

Regardless, thanks for your idea.

Good Luck
    11-25-11 09:18 PM
    Yw TT !! and yes, open iTunes on your laptop first. Once the program is completely open, then you can connect the iPad and iTunes will detect a 'new device' And then you can just follow the set up from there.
    Ok iPinkk. I got it.

One more question.
    Can I set everything using my laptop ( I'll use her gmail address, which she hasn't begun to start using yet- migrating from cox.net) then afterwards (on Christmas Day) download iTunes on her laptop to have her connect and download apps etc.?

TIA
    11-25-11 09:23 PM
    Ok iPinkk. I got it.

One more question.
    Can I set everything using my laptop ( I'll use her gmail address, which she hasn't begun to start using yet- migrating from cox.net) then afterwards (on Christmas Day) download iTunes on her laptop to have her connect and download apps etc.?

TIA
    Ok, now, as for using 2 different computers, you can use the "shared account files" (home sharing) between the 2 computers so what you have on your laptop can appears on hers. I've barely used it so I really wouldn't feel comfortable trying to give you direction on it. You can check this out on Apples website for more info though.

To be honest, if your wife is going to be using her laptop, I would suggest you setting everything up there initially altogether if that's possible so that she has everything she will need on her laptop.

If you set up on your laptop and sync her iPad to it, and then set it up on her laptop at a later time, when you USB it to hers, it will wipe off all her apps because using her laptop will be adding her iPad as a 'new device' as if you were starting from scratch. she would have to redwld her music and apps again. Items you've purchased would not have to be purchased again, just redwld as well. Any music CDs you've imported, will have to be imported to her iTunes laptop also to get her music synced back onto her iPad if you don't use the 'home sharing'

Now if there's something I'm missing here, or misinformed, I would hope someone would chime in to correct that.
    Last edited by iPinkk; 11-25-11 at 09:40 PM.
    11-25-11 09:37 PM
    Tks again iPinkk,
    I can use my wife laptop only for setup. Luckily, my wife hits the sack early so I'll just set it up late Christmas Eve after she asleep.

You see, I was under the impression that usb connection to the laptop was primarily for the initial set up of the iPad and thereafter, every OS update and download of apps would be OTA. So it wouldn't have mattered if I set it up initially on my laptop and then let my wife use the iPad2 for downloads etc OTA.

Anyway, I'm sure it's a better idea just to use hers.

Good Luck
    11-25-11 09:47 PM
    Well yes the USB is for initial set up, and all apps are dwld'd through using your wifi connection. But just like a bb, every once in a while your going to want to back up your devices info so you have a file with your current app and info stored on the laptop in iTunes just in case you may ever need it for what ever reason

Also I do know that with iOS5 that software updates can be done OTA, but it's usually better to do it through iTunes via USB if that's possible.

There are also a few iOS guru's floating around here, and when they see this they may chime in with some other helpful info that I may have missed or may be unaware of
    11-25-11 09:55 PM
    iPinkk you've been a lot of help.
    Tks Again
    Good Luck
    11-25-11 09:58 PM
    You are very welcome

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-11 10:08 PM
    TurboTiger, i came across this little guide on TiPb that may have some useful info for you as well !! it applies to ipad/ipod & iphone set ups because they are basically all the same

http://www.tipb.com/2010/12/25/iphon...d-users-guide/
    TurboTiger likes this.
    11-26-11 08:37 AM
    TurboTiger, i came across this little guide on TiPb that may have some useful info for you as well !! it applies to ipad/ipod & iphone set ups because they are basically all the same

http://www.tipb.com/2010/12/25/iphon...d-users-guide/
    Tks again iPinkk,
    I need all the help I can get.
    Good Luck
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    11-27-11 12:43 PM
    Tks again iPinkk,
    I need all the help I can get.
    Good Luck
    np again if i happen to come across any other info, i'll post it here for you
    11-28-11 07:55 AM
    Not to throw a wrench in things but if I am not mistaken you don't have to hook up the iPad to a computer anymore. I bought my son one and I have not hooked it to the computer yet (had to test to make sure it's working right? ). You can do the set-up on the iPad. Kind of the point is using the iPad as your only computer if you wish.

Again I maybe wrong.
    11-29-11 08:53 AM
    iOS5 does allow you to setup without a Computer. But initially with iTunes to establish a wi-fi sync setup it will have to be plugged in the first time at least.

Good point though.
    11-29-11 09:09 AM
    Thanks for the info guys.

Good Luck
    11-29-11 06:25 PM
    First of all, I want to thank you guys for all of the suggestions you have made. It really helped.

Wife's out of town so I took advantage of this and fired up her iPad2 and got it going.
    I was even able to sync all of her bookmarks from IE through iTunes. Going to sync the photos soon.

Here's a question. I downloaded a few apps and want to move some of them to the opening home screen but they won't move. If I understand the user guide correctly, the only way to do that is through iTunes. Is that right? Seems like I should just be able to drag and drop.

TIA
    I
    12-05-11 06:29 PM
    hey TT, congrats and i wish your wife lots of fun/enjoyment with her iPad

To move the icons, touch and hold an icon till it wiggles. Once that happens you can touch and drag it to the page you want to put it on. Just a warning tho, be careful you don't tap the X, otherwise it will delete the app and you'll just have to redwld it.

Once your done moving your icons to where u want, touch the home button and everything will stop wiggling !!

Sent from iPinkks 4S using Tapatalk
    12-05-11 07:14 PM
    Hey iPinkk,

The problem I have is moving an app from the second home screen to the main home screen (the one that displays all of the iPad apps).

TIA
    12-05-11 07:27 PM
    Ok when you have the icons wiggling, touch/hold the icon AND move it to the left of the screen, almost as if your gonna drag it 'off' of the page-as you hold it there the screen will then change pages for you and you can let the icon go. If it doesn't work the first time try again as sometimes you need to hold the icon in the right spot to get it to grab to move the page for you.

TurboTiger likes this.
    12-05-11 07:44 PM
    Well I guess I have to get use to this.
    I was sliding it quickly and not holding it at the edge of the screen.

All is well.
    Tks iPink
    Good Luck
    12-05-11 07:51 PM
    Well I guess I have to get use to this.
    I was sliding it quickly and not holding it at the edge of the screen.

All is well.
    Tks iPink
    Good Luck
    Yvw, Great glad you got it figd out !!

12-05-11 07:55 PM
    iOS5 does allow you to setup without a Computer. But initially with iTunes to establish a wi-fi sync setup it will have to be plugged in the first time at least.

Good point though.
    Hi Accidental, still not understanding this.

I thought one of the biggest features about iOS 5 was that Apple said it eliminates the need to activate/set up with a PC. Therefore if a person doesn't own a PC or laptop, there would still be no need to wifi sync?? As I'd assume all their content would be stored on the device and now possibly in iCloud??

I own an iPhone4, but as you've probably guessed, I haven't updated to IOS 5 yet, so a little sketchy on its features, still holding out for an untethered jailbreak
    12-07-11 09:36 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD