So, i returned my tour (great phone) and jumped over to at&t to finally give it a shot, knowing i can jump back to vzn if at&t doesnt do it for me..

i knew at&t service around my house wasnt GREAT, but when i got the phone home i was getting 1 bar, if that. It wasnt dropping calls, but im pretty sure it was close. however, i noticed that if the phone is sitting anywhere in the house, it has 5 bars, and full 3G. if i pick it up, it drops to 1..unless i dont hold the phone by the bottom, then its fine. Is the antenna in the iphone really that sensitive to being blocked by my hand?

i installed a YX 500 signal booster and now i get a solid 5 bars in the house no matter how i hold the phone, but i was just curious about why it was doing that before..?
    08-07-09 09:02 AM
    I recently had a small issue it seems that the iPhone can kick it's self off of ATT's network. I love my iPhone, and I've been getting full bars, and full 3G and then out of the blue it started saying " no service" and kicking me down to Edge. Long story short ATT recommend I shut the phone down at least once a week, and I should cycle the battery once a month. Hope this helps.
    08-07-09 09:49 AM
    thanks, ill keep that in mind!
    08-07-09 09:59 AM
    Sometimes doing a full restore via iTunes does the trick as well.
    08-07-09 11:08 AM
    Sometimes doing a full restore via iTunes does the trick as well.
    even though i only purchased the phone yesterday?
    08-07-09 12:22 PM
    Yep. When I first got the iPhone, there were some issues with the dial pad; I did a full restore, and re-downloaded 3.0. Then it was smooth sailing after that. Keep in mind sometimes there are small bugs in the software, and a software re-store clears the little bugs out.
    08-07-09 01:33 PM
    Yep. When I first got the iPhone, there were some issues with the dial pad; I did a full restore, and re-downloaded 3.0. Then it was smooth sailing after that. Keep in mind sometimes there are small bugs in the software, and a software re-store clears the little bugs out.
    thanks. ill give it a try. it seems odd that sitting on my desk, its at 5 bars & 3G, but when i pick it up and hold it, it drops to 1 and Edge. This only occurs when im in a weird coverage area though.
    08-07-09 04:08 PM
    well there you go.

it helped the problem substantially.

thanks..!
    08-07-09 04:40 PM
    Thank you, I might get the i phone on at&t, just doing research for now.
    08-07-09 04:41 PM
    another thing i noticed is when i have wifi on it drops to 1 or 2 bars when connected to wifi but second i shut if off it jumps back up to full bars so if you have wifi on that could be why.
    08-07-09 05:07 PM
    another thing i noticed is when i have wifi on it drops to 1 or 2 bars when connected to wifi but second i shut if off it jumps back up to full bars so if you have wifi on that could be why.
    wifi is off. BUT, i did notice that it did that whenever i turned wifi on.
    08-07-09 07:54 PM
    wifi is off. BUT, i did notice that it did that whenever i turned wifi on.
    yea idk why it does that i dont mind but it's just weird lol.
    08-07-09 08:31 PM
    I think the signals can mix, just a guess. I try not to have 3G on if I have Wifi on it drains the battery pretty quickly too.
    08-08-09 01:30 AM
    ive had it a few days now, and it seems to be running fine now (i did a restore). the only thing is it is still losing 3-4 bars of signal when i hold the phone by bottom rather than sides, idk if this is just iphone or if the phone has issues.
    08-08-09 09:38 AM
    take it to apple/ATT. Some phones antennas are on the bottom of the phone. Not sure about the iPhone, but when I had my LG envy and I held it by the bottom the bars would drop too. I called, and found out it was because thats where it gets the signal.
    08-08-09 10:49 AM
    Let me preface this by saying that I am not here for an argument. I was perusing the forums this morning and every last post today was riddled with bashing upon one person or another. This is just my opinion on the topic from what I have witnessed and/or learned...

From what I have heard, the GSM (AT&T) signal strength doesn't penetrate walls as well as CDMA (VZW) does. Also, the placement of the towers may affect my theory.

Now let's say that the GSM signal is getting to your phone (like it is with all five bars) but just barely. Now, let's say that you're only getting a little of those five bars due to the "service around [your] house [not being] GREAT." This means that the signal around your area gives you five bars, but a weak five bars.

Now, let's say that the walls around your house filter your signal even thinner. You can still get five bars, but a diminutive five bars at that. At this point, the phone is teetering between displaying five bars or no bars since all five are just as nonexistant.

Now, I don't know if you know how Alpha wave radiation works, but something as thin as a cloth or a sheet of paper can protect you by blocking out the harmful wave completely. That being said, imagine your hand as the piece of paper that "broke the camel's back" and filters out that last little bit of signal. Now you don't have the signal you thought that you once had.

My solution to this would be to use a Bluetooth headset while it sits on your table at "five bars." That way, it can charge and have all the signal you may need...
    08-09-09 02:20 PM
    Let me preface this by saying that I am not here for an argument. I was perusing the forums this morning and every last post today was riddled with bashing upon one person or another. This is just my opinion on the topic from what I have witnessed and/or learned...

From what I have heard, the GSM (AT&T) signal strength doesn't penetrate walls as well as CDMA (VZW) does. Also, the placement of the towers may affect my theory.

Now let's say that the GSM signal is getting to your phone (like it is with all five bars) but just barely. Now, let's say that you're only getting a little of those five bars due to the "service around [your] house [not being] GREAT." This means that the signal around your area gives you five bars, but a weak five bars.

Now, let's say that the walls around your house filter your signal even thinner. You can still get five bars, but a diminutive five bars at that. At this point, the phone is teetering between displaying five bars or no bars since all five are just as nonexistant.

Now, I don't know if you know how Alpha wave radiation works, but something as thin as a cloth or a sheet of paper can protect you by blocking out the harmful wave completely. That being said, imagine your hand as the piece of paper that "broke the camel's back" and filters out that last little bit of signal. Now you don't have the signal you thought that you once had.

My solution to this would be to use a Bluetooth headset while it sits on your table at "five bars." That way, it can charge and have all the signal you may need...
    the one thing i don't get about this is if it is not a full five bars why wouldn't it show 1 or 2 bars like it is designed to to show the strength of the signal? if it were really teetering on 5 or none i think it would be more realistically around 1 or 2 bars. it could just be a defective antenna i would have the phone replaced because mine is not that sensitive even if i only have one bar.
    08-09-09 03:04 PM
    the one thing i don't get about this is if it is not a full five bars why wouldn't it show 1 or 2 bars like it is designed to to show the strength of the signal? if it were really teetering on 5 or none i think it would be more realistically around 1 or 2 bars. it could just be a defective antenna i would have the phone replaced because mine is not that sensitive even if i only have one bar.
    i got a replacement this morning, and it reacts exactly the same. like stillborn said, i think its just barely getting a "good" signal when im not touching it, and my hand blocking the antenna is enough for the signal to drop to 1 bar. but i agree with you, it seems odd that is shows 5 bars instead of 2 or 3, which if it did, would make more sense (dropping just 1 or 2 instead of 4).
    08-10-09 01:42 PM
    even though i only purchased the phone yesterday?
    yes, even though.
    08-10-09 01:52 PM

A lot of misinformation here

The penetration is based on the mhz of the signal wave, not the technology (CDMA or GSM)

Generally the higher the mhz number, the poorer the building penetration (of course depends on tower placement too as you correctly said).

Sprint uses a 1900 PCS band, VZW uses the 850/1900 bands, and ATT uses the 850/1900 bands. It depends a LOT on whether youre on 850 or 1900 to compare VZW and ATT (Sprint is 1900 so youre stuck with that).

You cant just compare GSM vs CDMA, because that has nothing to do with building penetration. You need to know if youre on 850 or 1900 which are the important numbers to the equation (of course a tower very close by on 1900 will negate most the 850 building-penetrating advantages).

And sometimes that doesnt even really matter depending on the building construction. A lot of metal or a metal roof (like Home Depot or what not) will degrade the signal whether youre on 850 or 1900. For example, here in south Florida, buildings are building like concrete tanks for hurricanes. I know im on 850 ATT on my iphone but i get 1 bar inside. As soon as i step outside the signal jumps to the full 5 bars. Not a totally accurate scientific measure of signal, but 1-5 bars shows a visible jump in signal strength. Building construction matters, and not all are built equally.

And honestly telling someone to compare "bars" is like telling them to compare car engine size (diff cam, honed, NOS, supercharger, cold air induction, etc etc? Sheer size means nothing). It means nothing without more information. Bars are how the phone displays the phone's rf strength, and is not equal between manufacturers and sometimes even models made by the same manufacturer. Its an arbitrary scale the manufacturer sets to display a certain -xx dB rating

The only true measure is to get into the engineering menus of the phone and see the -xx dB numbers and compare them (lower=better signal strength, ie. -87 is better signal strength than -95).
    Last edited by stuaw11; 08-12-09 at 10:45 PM.
    08-12-09 10:38 PM
    So, i returned my tour (great phone) and jumped over to at&t to finally give it a shot, knowing i can jump back to vzn if at&t doesnt do it for me..

i knew at&t service around my house wasnt GREAT, but when i got the phone home i was getting 1 bar, if that. It wasnt dropping calls, but im pretty sure it was close. however, i noticed that if the phone is sitting anywhere in the house, it has 5 bars, and full 3G. if i pick it up, it drops to 1..unless i dont hold the phone by the bottom, then its fine. Is the antenna in the iphone really that sensitive to being blocked by my hand?

i installed a YX 500 signal booster and now i get a solid 5 bars in the house no matter how i hold the phone, but i was just curious about why it was doing that before..?
    this also happened to me as well....however, i did not buy any signal booster and eventually, my iphone started picking up 5 bars....idk if it had anything to do with AT&T fixing their signal stations near my home, but something caused my phone to get great service all of a sudden
    08-13-09 01:15 AM
    When is att going to fix MMS

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-09 01:08 PM

08-13-09 01:10 PM

Never..