Don't hold it that way. Man

Poor iPhone 4 signal? You're holding it wrong, Jobs says
    Buzz up!13 votes Send
    Email IM Share
    Facebook Twitter Delicious Digg Fark Newsvine Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks Print Play Video Apple Computer Video:FCC an Obstacle to AT&T? CNBC Play Video Apple Computer Video:The iPhone Fanfare ABC News Related Quotes Symbol Price Change
    ^DJUSS 448.58 +5.63
    ^IXIC 2,234.88 +17.46
    ^IXK 1,133.46 +5.61
    Fri Jun 25, 11:11 am ET
    Yep, turns out the lower left corner of the iPhone 4's antenna-housing stainless-steel rim is sensitive to human skin, so much so that your AT&T reception may drop precipitously when you hold the phone on the left side. Steve Jobs' advice: Don't hold it like that.

That's the response Ars Technica got from a query to Apple corporate with Jobs cc'd about the iPhone 4's widely reported reception issues, which seem to strike if your hand covers the lower left corner of the phone, particularly near a thin black stripe across the steel band that rings the phone.

For the record, Jobs' exact reply to Ars was: "All phones have sensitive areas. Just avoid holding it that way."
    06-25-10 02:43 PM
    Vut here's the ting. The phone was indeed designed that way and at least he isn't making up any stories and beating around the bush. If one indeed has a problem with holding the phone that way, stay away from it.
    06-25-10 03:21 PM
    I think arrogance........
    06-25-10 03:32 PM
    Vut here's the ting. The phone was indeed designed that way and at least he isn't making up any stories and beating around the bush. If one indeed has a problem with holding the phone that way, stay away from it.
    I agree but they had to have know this didn't they
    06-25-10 03:32 PM
    I have had a lot of phones and I never had to hold a phone a specific way to keep reception. Maybe 8 years ago I had to pull the antenna out or find high ground but thats all. Sounds like they had poor testing with the phone. Just cannot see how this is a problem now. Somebody while testing had to know about it. Easy solution: move that strip of the band to a spot on the phone that doesnt get handle while on a call. Around the top maybe.
    06-25-10 04:02 PM
    it's like back in the day when you had to hold the rabbit ears on your tv a certain way just to get your favorite station to come through. lol

sounds like a real ghetto fix to me.
    06-25-10 04:16 PM
    I think arrogance........
    I don't.

I find his reponse funny to tell you the truth. People love to complain just to
    complain. Just get accustomed to not holding the phone over those black
    things and that's that. People put cases on them anyway.
    06-25-10 04:25 PM
    I don't.

I find his reponse funny to tell you the truth. People love to complain just to
    complain. Just get accustomed to not holding the phone over those black
    things and that's that. People put cases on them anyway.
    Steve is that you?
    06-25-10 04:40 PM
    I love it! I wish more ceo's had that attitude instead of the OMG we will have to fix it and recall all 500 billion and make a public apology and blah blah blah.
    Just looks you in the eye and says "dont hold it like that" Legendary!

But Mr jobs the grill you sold me burnt me.
    Jobs: Well dont touch it when its hot. problem solved! Lets move on.
    06-25-10 04:45 PM
    By the way, I can already forsee the "they should give the bumper for free and/or
    refund the money of the people that bought one" complaint arise. If I was a
    stockholder of Apple and they actually did do that I'd be pretty pissed. Consumers
    carry a responsibility too. You have 30 days to take the thing back. Consumers
    should do their own due dilligence on things like this. Apple doesn't have to give
    any of use a single thing for free if they don't want to.
    06-25-10 04:48 PM
    By the way, I can already forsee the "they should give the bumper for free and/or
    stockholder of Apple and they actually did do that I'd be pretty pissed. Consumers
    should do their own due dilligence on things like this. Apple doesn't have to give
    So as a "stockholder", you'd rather encourage people to take advantage of the 30 day return window than give out some free $30 bumpers?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-10 05:02 PM
    Like it or not this is a weak excuse. He goes on to say that all phones suffer signal quality degradation when being held and while this is the truth, the iPhone is actually worse due to outright design flaws.

The simple fact is they never should have designed a phone or anything where you make contact with the bare antenna. It has to be insulated for best performance. Case in point, the previous iPhone or any other phone on the market. You put your hand over it and it can lose a few dBm. Put your hand on a bare antenna like the new iPhone and you get a massive decrease in signal quality as you are actually grounding the antenna.

An antenna is high current/low voltage at the base and low current/high voltage at the end. You are actually touching the end of the antenna and grounding it out. At the very least Apple should have put something over the antenna or failing that, warned people how "not" to hold it.

Which is a joke in itself. How "not" to hold it. It's a phone. Since when was it a requirement to hold it in an exact specific way? And how did they expect the common user to have the slightest bit of knowledge about how an antenna works so they know not to hold it that way?
    06-25-10 05:03 PM
    I am going to make one further prediction: there will be a lot of iPhones being returned as either defective or outright bricked in no time.

Reason being, the antenna is exposed. A simple static shock can be over 10, 000 volts. Try pumping that much juice directly into a radio receiver built from discrete components. And it doesn't matter a static shock is very low current, the current is in fact high enough to damage modern microelectronics in a big way. Or even worse, it will cripple them meaning you won't even know it's damaged until a month later.

Not good.
    06-25-10 05:06 PM
    So as a "stockholder", you'd rather encourage people to take advantage of the 30 day return window than give out some free $30 bumpers?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yes, because in the long run they're going to sell more of each device and
    bumper than people that would return them.
    06-25-10 05:11 PM
    Your phone has no issues we get it but those that do should be fairly compensated.
    06-25-10 05:13 PM
    Your phone has no issues we get it but those that do should be fairly compensated.
    They'll be FULLY compensated by taking it back. That's my point. It's okay
    to date the stripper. Just don't marry her.
    06-25-10 05:17 PM
    But that 30 day window is a one-shot deal. In my case, I upgraded to the iPhone 3GS in May, then returned it on 6/8 to wait for the new iPhone. I was told at that time that they only allow one upgrade cancellation, or device swap per upgrade.

I'm happy with my iPhone 4, but I don't think that would even allow me to take it back. Especially with Steve calling it a none-issue, and telling us to "not hold it that way, hold it this way".
    06-25-10 05:46 PM
    I think a droid bot broke into apples plant and shorted the antenna to the case...pretty sure a droid bot is going to build those bumpers too....flame away : )
    06-25-10 06:09 PM
    I think a droid bot broke into apples plant and shorted the antenna to the case...pretty sure a droid bot is going to build those bumpers too....flame away : )
    I can't flame but ok a droid gremlin.
    I find your reactions funny. But I have to
    say and this is the consumer as a whole. We are
    such sheople that we fall for this. Those iphones
    should be returned en masse. But it is stood for.
    That is why the corporations get away with what they get away with.
    Ok like I will be returning my DroidX if it has the same problem.
    But u get it, I know u do....
    06-25-10 06:25 PM
    06-25-10 06:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD