Folks support the devs.

iPhone 4S and iPad 2 untether to be released real soon
    Hello dear readers,

I know the wait was long, too much long, but it's about to end! You'd be able to free your iPhone in some hours.

A tool named Absinthe and developped by the Chronic Dev Team will install the untether on your device. Also the iPhone Dev Team will release a CLI (command line) tool to help diagnose issues and repair things if it goes wrong.

This is a little scary I know, but the chance you break something is really small, since we made lots of tests to verify the process on different devices. But it is the first time we use the backup / restore functions of iTunes to install software, and there are maybe things we are not aware of.

As you already know, different security researchers put a lot of energy to work out the different issues we had to install the untether on new devices.

Thus, a unified PayPal account was opened so that everyone who worked on the A5 exploits will receive a fair split of your contributions. Here is the link : contribute
    As usual, contributions are not needed but are appreciated by developpers. By the way, thank you very much again for everyone who already participated. This is real nice.

Here is the complete list of Absinthe supported devices :
    iPhone 4S running iOS 5.0, 5.0.1 (9A405 and 9A406)
    iPad 2 Wifi/GSM/CDMA running iOS 5.0.1
    Also, here is MuscleNerd's which explains the whole story in a really precise way: iPhone Dev Team blog post

~pod2g
    01-20-12 08:39 AM
    Awesome news
    01-20-12 08:58 AM
    01-20-12 11:27 AM
    Good news. Took a while.
    01-20-12 12:43 PM
    Downloading now...
    01-20-12 12:47 PM
    Why is it only out for Macs? 😢
    01-20-12 01:10 PM
    Why is it only out for Macs? 😢
    It's usually always out for Macs first and then the Windows version comes. At least that is how it was back when I had my 3G and 3GS.
    01-21-12 07:10 AM
    I've made a GUI for Windows users for the A5 Jailbreak: #3225752 - Pastie let me know how it goes if you use it

Last edited by lyricidal; 01-21-12 at 11:13 AM.
    01-21-12 11:11 AM
    I've made a GUI for Windows users for the A5 Jailbreak: #3225752 - Pastie let me know how it goes if you use it

Click to view quoted image
    I jailbroke my 4s using this method..i have cydia and everything seems good. But i cant load anything. Like winterboard ultrasnow themes..anything. I followed the steps but did i miss something?
    01-21-12 01:42 PM
    I jailbroke my 4s using this method..i have cydia and everything seems good. But i cant load anything. Like winterboard ultrasnow themes..anything. I followed the steps but did i miss something?
    Hm doesn't sound like you missed anything to me - are these for sure compatible with the latest iOS? [I don't use iOS too much so I don't know for sure]
    I did my mom's iPad2 a few mins ago and all seems to be working fine - Cydia and Installous installed and working

Have you been able to figure it out? I'd try it again but do a wipe, jailbreak and then restore after that, seemed to solve issues for some people
    01-21-12 06:39 PM
    Hm doesn't sound like you missed anything to me - are these for sure compatible with the latest iOS? [I don't use iOS too much so I don't know for sure]
    I did my mom's iPad2 a few mins ago and all seems to be working fine - Cydia and Installous installed and working

Have you been able to figure it out? I'd try it again but do a wipe, jailbreak and then restore after that, seemed to solve issues for some people
    I have figured it out...i just re jailbroke it. I couldnt be happier!
    lyricidal likes this.
    01-21-12 06:44 PM
    ...curious, now that we have iOS5, why would I need to be jail broken? What's the biggest benefit(s)?
    01-21-12 08:26 PM
    ...curious, now that we have iOS5, why would I need to be jail broken? What's the biggest benefit(s)?
    Complete control over your phone. Just some simple things people enjoy about jailbreaking are themes. And other ways to customize your phone. Plus their are alot of great apps in cydia that will let you do things with your phone that apple and your carrier won't. Just remember you can always remove that the jailbreak if you dont enjoy it. But beleive me you will. I couldnt be happier with my jailbreak
    01-21-12 08:34 PM
    ...thanks for the info. Before I re-join the jail brake 'market', I want to see how the battery life works out.

*goes to sit in the corner and wait*
    01-21-12 09:16 PM
    File wont even open on my end
    topleft21 likes this.
    01-21-12 11:04 PM
    About time jk. Great job by the devs on this one.
    01-21-12 11:14 PM
    01-21-12 11:29 PM
    ...thanks for the info. Before I re-join the jail brake 'market', I want to see how the battery life works out.

*goes to sit in the corner and wait*
    My battery life has seemed to improve..ive charged my phone once today..and between facebook,crackberry,and cydia for hours on end i Have over 50% battery
    01-21-12 11:57 PM
    well the only reasons i could see for jailbreaking is the mywi 5.0

and the only problem i have with mine is that some of my apps have white icons, but they made a new verison to fix the bugs so hopefully tomorrow everything will be perfect! but so far i love mywi for free
    01-22-12 01:57 AM
    Guys. Ive never jb any of my devices. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    01-22-12 06:47 AM
    There are several links above. The one I posted didnt have any problems for me and took about 6 minutes.
    01-22-12 09:24 AM
    As stated in other threads, new iPhone user here, and as a previous BB 9650 user who truly loved the hybrid, I am looking a JB'ing my 4s. I have downloaded the Windows JB, and read through the tutorials, but I still have one more question.

I am on an exchange server for Groupwise mail and calendaring. If I JB my phone, do I lose this like I would with a BB and a BES server? JN'ing my work-issued 4s is not within the rules of use, so to have to call them and get back on the exchange server would b bad juju if I dropped it due to a JB.

Thanks in advance...
    01-22-12 10:52 AM
    Guys. Ive never jb any of my devices. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    google this kid twitter named "tysiphonehelp" he makes videos on youtube and he will walk you through the whole process, its pretty easy
    01-22-12 03:52 PM
    heres the link matter fact, it has the instructions included
    Tys iPhone Help - Tys iPhone Help - Jailbreak 5.0.1 iPhone 4S and iPad 2 with Absinthe
    01-22-12 03:54 PM
    heres the link matter fact, it has the instructions included
    Tys iPhone Help - Tys iPhone Help - Jailbreak 5.0.1 iPhone 4S and iPad 2 withAbsinthe
    Ok cool. I'm gonna go for it. Very excited. Thank-You
    01-22-12 07:56 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD