Hey so i am jailbroken and want to update to the new 3.1 update , whats the worst case scenario ? i just lose my jailbreak right ? no bricking of the phone or anyhthing like that ?
    09-09-09 02:10 PM
    I have never tried to update while being jailbroken. I also restore to the newest update.
    09-09-09 02:19 PM
    Not recommended but people have done it. Personally, I would backup my apps, do a restore and then apply the update just to be safe. Your mileage may vary.

Keep in mind that you might not be able to ever jailbreak again, unless you have captured and saved your IBEC and IBSS files. This is from the cydia app homescreen:
    09-09-09 02:21 PM
    Not recommended but people have done it. Personally, I would backup my apps, do a restore and then apply the update just to be safe. Your mileage may vary.

Keep in mind that you might not be able to ever jailbreak again, unless you have captured and saved your IBEC and IBSS files. This is from the cydia app homescreen:
    Yea I had Cydia store my files. Hopefully I don' run into that problem when I try to rejailbreak.
    09-09-09 02:28 PM
    let us know what happens!
    09-09-09 02:31 PM
    don't do it, you risk not being able to jailbreak if they can't find a flaw immediately. if your on twitter then follow muscle nerd or dev-team for updates. also make sure you back up your needed files in the new cydia app.
    09-09-09 02:53 PM
    Yea I had Cydia store my files. Hopefully I don' run into that problem when I try to rejailbreak.
    I have mine saved on my harddrive from the 1st time I jailbroke, but I had Cydia store mine too just in case.
    09-09-09 02:54 PM
    Use Pwnage Tool... I'm hearing the best results as it retains your current 3.0 baseband.
    09-09-09 03:56 PM
    Wow Duvi your were right, these guys don't waste any time Jailbreak iPhone 3.1
    09-09-09 03:57 PM
    So you can JB 3.1 using redsn0w with the same IPSW as 3.0.1?

Edit- Forget that, doesn't work.
    Last edited by avt123; 09-09-09 at 04:24 PM.
    09-09-09 04:16 PM
    don't update, just caught this twit so make sure you have the right modem for when the jailbreak comes out
    09-09-09 05:16 PM
    Just wait until the Dev-Team comments more about what should be done. It's not worth the risk. The biggest issue right now is loosing an unlock more than anything else because 3.1 will update your baseband - Pwnage Tool will allow you to create a custom firmware with the new 3.1 OS and the old 3.0 Baseband file, allowing you to keep your unlock (or the possibility of an unlock into the future). So if you were to just JB using any method other than creating a custom firmware right now the chances are you will loose your unlock capabilities forever.

quickpwn.com, btw, is not the actual Dev-Team, just some knock off blog that the Dev-Team has advised against taking seriously in the past. Click here for the actual Dev-Team site.
    09-09-09 05:27 PM
    Wow Duvi your were right, these guys don't waste any time Jailbreak iPhone 3.1
    Yeah, if you follow the tutorial in the link above you will lose the ability to unlock your 3G or 3GS probably forever. That tutorial is not from the Dev-Team (which I should point out never provides step by step tutorials for the most part). That is simply a way to trick redsn0w into jailbreaking 3.1 using the 3.0 IPSW which means your baseband will be updated because you need to upgrade to 3.1 through iTunes first before you do it... DON'T DO IT!!!
    09-09-09 05:34 PM
    Yeah, if you follow the tutorial in the link above you will lose the ability to unlock your 3G or 3GS probably forever. That tutorial is not from the Dev-Team (which I should point out never provides step by step tutorials for the most part). That is simply a way to trick redsn0w into jailbreaking 3.1 using the 3.0 IPSW which means your baseband will be updated because you need to upgrade to 3.1 through iTunes first before you do it... DON'T DO IT!!!
    I can careless about the unlock, but that tutorial doesn't even work. I followed it exactly and it will not jailbreak after 3.1 is installed and it says 3.1 must be installed first. It does say it may not work for the iPhone though. I will just wait for the dev-team to make a new jailbreak. I will deal with my normal iPhone for now.
    09-09-09 06:04 PM
    Ok...I screwed up and upated while still jailbroken. What are my options for future jailbreaks? Best to return phone since I am only 4 days into my purchase?
    09-09-09 06:11 PM
    I can careless about the unlock, but that tutorial doesn't even work. I followed it exactly and it will not jailbreak after 3.1 is installed and it says 3.1 must be installed first. It does say it may not work for the iPhone though. I will just wait for the dev-team to make a new jailbreak. I will deal with my normal iPhone for now.
    I was suspecting it wouldn't work too... Thank you for confirming... So there's really some numbnuts out there who basically ripped off a Dev-Team brand, made a blog out of it and then passes along faulty info... God bless America

I suppose the only reason you would want to preserve your ability to unlock (and 95% of mine) would be for resale value. You unlock it sell it and if the next guy that buys it from you screws it up with an OS upgrade that's their fault.
    09-09-09 06:12 PM
    I was suspecting it wouldn't work too... Thank you for confirming... So there's really some numbnuts out there who basically ripped off a Dev-Team brand, made a blog out of it and then passes along faulty info... God bless America

I suppose the only reason you would want to preserve your ability to unlock (and 95% of mine) would be for resale value. You unlock it sell it and if the next guy that buys it from you screws it up with an OS upgrade that's their fault.
    Yea that's the only thing I would use an unlock for. But yea, it does say in the tutorial that they did it with a first gen iPod Touch and that it might not work with the iPhone. Might not work= Does not work. At least with the 3GS.
    09-09-09 06:15 PM
    Is unlocking different from jailbreaking?
    09-09-09 07:06 PM
    Is unlocking different from jailbreaking?
    Yes. Unlocking allows you to use your phone on different carriers (GSM). But, in order to unlock the iPhone, you must jailbreak it first.
    09-09-09 07:14 PM
    if i wanted to restore my iphone 3.0.1 to factory setting how can i do it now since itunes says 3.1 is out. i dont have any back ups.
    thinking of returning the iphone for another one. (wifi defect)
    09-09-09 07:32 PM
    if i wanted to restore my iphone 3.0.1 to factory setting how can i do it now since itunes says 3.1 is out. i dont have any back ups.
    thinking of returning the iphone for another one. (wifi defect)
    I believe google is your friend here... There has got to be a copy of 3.0.1 floating around out there. Once you have it hold shift and click restore on a PC or hold Command (I think, maybe control) and click restore on a Mac and point iTunes to your 3.0.1 IPSW.
    09-09-09 07:41 PM
    will a erase all content and setting do the trick also?
    09-09-09 07:43 PM
    will a erase all content and setting do the trick also?
    no that erases your phone completely so its blank and ready to restore. you can download the firmwares for 3.01 and if you are still running on the computer that downloaded the update through itunes it may still be lingering.
    i'm on windows 7 but here is the path to the file, gotta show all hidden folders to get here though

C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates.

copy the file somewhere else and under iphone in itunes hold shift and hit restore, you should be able to select the file and restore
    09-09-09 07:56 PM
    no that erases your phone completely so its blank and ready to restore. you can download the firmwares for 3.01 and if you are still running on the computer that downloaded the update through itunes it may still be lingering.
    i'm on windows 7 but here is the path to the file, gotta show all hidden folders to get here though

C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates.

copy the file somewhere else and under iphone in itunes hold shift and hit restore, you should be able to select the file and restore
    thanks spawn!!
    09-09-09 08:06 PM
    thanks spawn!!
    anytime, and if you can't find it you can grab it from here

iPod and iPhone Firmware Download

nm, i don't see 3.01 there but if you need it i can get you a working one
    09-09-09 08:11 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD