ok quick question im messing around with my friends never used iphone 2g..
    It had no sim card and was useless so i did the quickpwn jailbreak/unlocking
    it is not activated or on any carrier (it has my storm sim card in it)

it says i am running Version 2.2(5g77)
    i want to upgrade to 3.0 but there are so many different answer on google, my eyes now hurt from reading.

how do i upgrade without bricking the iphone?

do i just do the update through itunes?

i know this is crackberry, but i dont know a good iphone forum, is use crackberry all the time
    07-10-09 04:31 AM
    I have a 2g iPhone unlocked/jailbroken on FW 3.0 so I'll try to answer your questions if I understand them correctly.

If it was already unlocked (hard unlocked via QuickPwn etc in the past) you can simply upgrade to 3.0 in iTunes and you won't lose the unlock as the baseband was unchanged. However, you will lose the jailbreak this way.

If you want to upgrade to 3.0 and keep a jailbreak use the iPhone dev team's RedSnow. This is as quick and easy as QuickPwn in the past. iClarified has some good step by step tutorials and links for all the files you will need.

07-14-09 05:00 PM
    Oh I also forgot to add... If for whatever reason something does go wrong in the jailbreak process the saving grace for the iPhone is to get it into DFU mode (Google it). Examples would be encountering error pop ups, constant crashing, endless reboot cycles, etc...

It simply puts the phone into a mode where it'll only accept a factor restore of the latest firmware. Once that is loaded you can start the process over again.
    07-14-09 05:09 PM
    thank you, i thought this thread was forgotten, got it working!
    07-15-09 09:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD