So here's my dilemma. Just switched to the iphone from the blackberry 8310 for my bday, and really want to put some games and other apps on it. Obviously, it would be cheaper if I could get them free, which I can do if it is jailbroken. I only have a few concerns:

Will the appstore be disabled if it's jailbroken?
    How dangerous is this to my iphone? Is it safe?
    Is it possible/easy to reverse the process? If I do need to bring in the iphone for service (i know jailbreaking voids warranty), is there a way to reverse it so they don't know it was ever done?
    Are there any "negative side-effects" in terms of speed (system and network-wise), or built in apps (safari, etc)?

Finally, I have the latest firmware (2.2.1?), so how do I go about jailbreaking this, if that's what you all think I should do? I have NO interest in unlocking the phone, the only interest is for apps.

I realize some of these are covered in other places on the web, but I've been on crackberry for awhile, so I take this advice above others. I'd register at theiphoneblog, but it's blocking new registrations. Thanks all.
    Last edited by jhoffman1986; 02-05-09 at 02:46 AM. Reason: add-on question
    02-05-09 02:45 AM
    Iphone... You did say iphone, right?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-09 02:49 AM
    Yes.... That's why I posted in the iphone section.
    02-05-09 02:57 AM
    Will the appstore be disabled if it's jailbroken?
    How dangerous is this to my iphone? Is it safe?
    Is it possible/easy to reverse the process? If I do need to bring in the iphone for service (i know jailbreaking voids warranty), is there a way to reverse it so they don't know it was ever done?
    Are there any "negative side-effects" in terms of speed (system and network-wise), or built in apps (safari, etc)?
    No, appstore won't be disabled. To reverse the process, you just restore to a stock firmware through iTunes. If you need it warranty, just restore to a stock firmware and they'll never know. There no negative side effects really. If you use Winterboard for themes, there is a SLIGHT lag, but its pretty much unnoticeable to me. Performance has been great since the recent update/fixes.

BTW I read your BB vs iPhone thread. I know most people said to go with the BB, but you made a great decision. I've had my iphone 3g since August, and I've used my Bold for about a month now. I am currently using my Bold, but that's only because I prefer the physical keypad, which is something I can't deny. But as far as performance, UI efficiency, battery life, etc, the iPhone does just as well as the Bold, if not better, that includes email. A jailbroken iPhone is better than a BB Bold is ALMOST every way.

With that being said, I still love my Bold. The physical keypad is awesome. But I haven't been able to sell my iPhone at all. I'll be switching off between the two.
    02-05-09 04:18 AM
    Jailbroke it just now, seems to work fine. Thanks for the nudge.
    02-05-09 08:01 PM
    Im actually up for an upgrade and was thinking of the iphone myself. I just have an 8100 pearl now. I love it, but its older. The only downside for me is that you can only send and receive pics through email. Will that change if jailbroken? Would i be able to send pics using mms? Just wondered. Thanks!
    02-13-09 08:31 PM
    Jailbroke it just now, seems to work fine. Thanks for the nudge.
    Some available apps on Cydia to check out: Supreme Preferences, xGPS, SwirlyMMS, SBSettings, and Notifier.
    02-14-09 08:58 AM
    Im actually up for an upgrade and was thinking of the iphone myself. I just have an 8100 pearl now. I love it, but its older. The only downside for me is that you can only send and receive pics through email. Will that change if jailbroken? Would i be able to send pics using mms? Just wondered. Thanks!
    Yes it is possible but there is a trick to get it to work if you are on AT&T. You can get SwirlyMMS but in order for you to get it to work is sort of a hassle. If you are on a iPhone plan the text messages that comes along with that does not support MMS or Media Net. So you'd have to talk to someone at AT&T who would be nice enough to add that messaging plan instead of the iPhone messaging plan. Even if you did get it added eventually their computers would consider that an issue and correct it, knocking MMS of your plan. Then you'd have to repeat the whole process again to get it added back.

Another way to get it is if you have a Blackberry now - stick with the unlimited data and messaging for the BB and simply swap the sim card to the iPhone. That way the plan stays in tact. That's how I do it.
    02-14-09 09:02 AM
    They wont make me get an iphone plan? And will everything work with my blackberry plan? Or would i have to get the iphone plan too? How much is your bill monthly? What plan/plans do you have? Should i upgrade from bb to iphone? Now im confused...lol
    02-15-09 09:55 AM
    They wont make me get an iphone plan? And will everything work with my blackberry plan? Or would i have to get the iphone plan too? How much is your bill monthly? What plan/plans do you have? Should i upgrade from bb to iphone? Now im confused...lol
    If you bought it via AT&T or Apple yes, they would force you on the plan but you could always activate your Blackberry afterwords and then toss the SIM back into your newly purchased iPhone 3G. Hope this clears it up better for you.
    02-15-09 10:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD