09-07-09 04:38 PM
64 123
tools
    Here we can discuss Jailbreaking.
    Such as apps, software for jailbreaking, etc.
    I just Jailbroke my 3G 3.0 with Redsn0w.
    Feel free to list apps etc.

Top JB Apps (As Suggested By Members)
    Cydia - Used To DL Apps/Themes/Etc
    Winterboard - Control The Look of Your Phone (Themes)
    SBSettings - Control Your Phones Vital Settings
    Cycorder - Record Video On 3G
    Backgrounder - Run Apps In the Background
    Categories - Create Folders For Apps, Games, Etc.
    5 Icon Dock - 5 Icons As Opposed to 4 In Your Dock

To Suggest More Simply Reply.
    Last edited by FTWrath; 07-09-09 at 03:00 PM.
    07-07-09 07:52 PM
    I downloaded Cycorder, and it works pretty good. Also downloaded Winterboard for all my theme needs. I would really like to know what other apps people use on a regular basis, so I can get some other cool stuff on my phone.
    07-07-09 08:52 PM
    I have the 3G like you and the first one I downloaded with Cydia was the Cycorder too.
    Video is just as good if not better than my Bold's tbh.
    Also have winterboard but know where to find themes for 3.0.
    Any ideas?
    07-07-09 09:16 PM
    jailbroke my 3gs with purplera1n today. i wouldt use redsn0w, rain is so freaking easy, its a one button install. there is a whole new world of customization that most people will ever experience with these devices. Ok BB users, seriously once and for all, i dont care what RIM device you have, it will not touch a jailbroken iphone 3GS. this is the coolest thing ive ever seen. the phone just rocks. i highly recommend iWood realize springboard its so pretty and BA..
    07-07-09 09:38 PM
    Seeing as how neither of us have a 3GS uhm I would use Redsn0w.
    07-08-09 11:47 AM
    Check my sig.
    07-08-09 12:12 PM
    Woohoo!!! Just finished my jailbreak w/Purplera1n. I can't believe how simple that was.
    07-08-09 02:04 PM
    I also downloaded the 5 icon dock. As simple as it is, its probably my favorite one that ive downloaded. Now I have phone, mail, messages, ipod and safari all on the bottom. Im going to check out some of the ones that Jeli has in his sig right now.
    07-08-09 03:07 PM
    I also downloaded the 5 icon dock. As simple as it is, its probably my favorite one that ive downloaded. Now I have phone, mail, messages, ipod and safari all on the bottom. Im going to check out some of the ones that Jeli has in his sig right now.
    I highly recommend Backgrounder.

You can be in a Game or Slacker/Pandora or whatever and then hold the home button for a second and it keeps running in the background while you do something else. When you return to it, it's right where you left off, just like any of the native Apps. Between it and push notifications you're set.
    07-08-09 03:26 PM
    ahhhhhh!!!! see i'm still so torn as to do it or not. my luck i'll jack something up or it wont work right!
    07-08-09 03:38 PM
    So far I have FiveIconDock, SBSettings, Backgrounder and SSH.
    07-08-09 03:42 PM
    Thanks Jeli! I downloaded Backgrounder, SBSettings, Categories, Imobliecinema and Iphoneus. Havent had a chance to play with all of them yet, but I'm sure they will all come in handy. I really think Categories is going to be nice.

On a side note, are there some MUST download themes? And how did you get video wallpaper to work? Thanks!
    07-08-09 03:45 PM
    I hate to use the word "safe," so I'll use "developed.". Is jailbreaking on the 3gs developed enough in its infancy to be stable? I would do it without hesitation on a 2 or 3g without hesitation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-09 04:07 PM
    I hate to use the word "safe," so I'll use "developed.". Is jailbreaking on the 3gs developed enough in its infancy to be stable? I would do it without hesitation on a 2 or 3g without hesitation.

Although I can't recommend that anyone jailbreak, I found the process of jailbreaking w/purplera1n to be pretty idiotproof.

• Download purplera1n
    • Plug in your iPhone
    • Click the purplera1n executable
    • "make it ra1n"
    • wait for the reboot
    • run freeze to install Cydia
    07-08-09 04:12 PM
    ahhhhhh!!!! see i'm still so torn as to do it or not. my luck i'll jack something up or it wont work right!
    It takes less then 5 minutes, at WORST you have to restore your phone which is a cakewalk in iTunes. Seriously it's not as scary as everyone makes out. I only recommend using purplera1n for your jbreak as it's 100x simpler then the Dev-Team's version; Redsn0w. I'll do a write up tonight on step by step Jailbreaking, installing Cydia/Icy and how to get all the Repositories you need to start installing 3rd party Apps. I'll also have a section on recommended jbreak Apps that make your iPhone even more powerful then it already is.
    07-08-09 05:00 PM
    Thanks Jeli! I downloaded Backgrounder, SBSettings, Categories, Imobliecinema and Iphoneus. Havent had a chance to play with all of them yet, but I'm sure they will all come in handy. I really think Categories is going to be nice.

On a side note, are there some MUST download themes? And how did you get video wallpaper to work? Thanks!
    For Themes and Video Wallpaper you have to install 2 Packages:

Mobile Substrate v0.9.2958-1

Winterboard v0.9.2958-2

Just open Cydia and search for Mobile; scroll down to Mobile Substrate and install. Then from Cydia's main page tap Featured Packages and scroll down to Winterboard and install. Reboot your iPhone. Now you can use the themes and what not that are listed in the 'Sections' portion of Cydia.

NOTE: Some Themes may or may not work based on version and icon packs they contain. Theming for the iPhone is very flexible compared to a BB as you can modify each little portion of your phone as you see fit. You'll see different theme categories in Cydia that will let you skin the entire interface down to how your keyboard looks. Don't worry if something doesn't work you can always uninstall it or worst case restore and re-jailbreak. I've yet to run into those issues so far.

As for must have themes I'm very partial to Glaskart with any of the video wallpapers. There are also theme extensions for a Glaskart LiveClock which makes your clock icon 'tick' the real time. If you happened to install WeatherIcon you can also grab the Glaskart WeatherIcon extension to skin your weather app to display live weather on the icon.

If you don't know how to use Winterboard let me know.
    07-08-09 05:08 PM

The current RC2 of purplera1n is as clean a jailbreak as any. It was written by the same kid who jailbroke the first iPhone. Been running it for 3 days now with no crashes outside of installing the wrong Winterboard on day 1. Winterboard has since been updated and I haven't had a crash yet.

AGAIN - If you somehow mess up it's SIMPLE to restore your phone in iTunes and start over. It is VERY VERY hard to brick your iPhone. You simply set it in recovery mode and plug it into your computer, load iTunes and restore.
    07-08-09 05:11 PM
    Thanks a ton Jeli! I downloaded Glaskart, but it doesnt show up in my Winterboard list. It shows up in the SBSettings list, but only changes the look of the SBSettings menu. Is there a way to make it a complete theme? I thought I had most of this winterboard and cydia thing figured out until today!! lol You have opened up even more stuff for me to figure out.
    07-08-09 06:17 PM
    Thanks a ton Jeli! I downloaded Glaskart, but it doesnt show up in my Winterboard list. It shows up in the SBSettings list, but only changes the look of the SBSettings menu. Is there a way to make it a complete theme? I thought I had most of this winterboard and cydia thing figured out until today!! lol You have opened up even more stuff for me to figure out.
    Okay all you did was download the Glaskart theme for SBSettings. Which is fine cause it's nice. Open Cydia and click on Selections at the bottom. Navigate down to Themes (Complete). Search for the complete Glaskart theme in there. Or you can search for it using the search tab at the bottom. When you select any package you'll have a chance to read it's description and see screenshots before installing it. The Cydia menus take some getting used to but try looking for the More Info tab in each package to see screenshots, etc.
    07-08-09 06:26 PM
    Awesome! Got it! Thanks again. I really appreciate the help. I was always wondering how to use the "User Wallpaper" option in Winterboard. Do you know of any other themes off the top of your head that use the user wallpaper feature?
    Last edited by GAM3INO; 07-08-09 at 06:52 PM.
    07-08-09 06:45 PM
    Awesome! Got it! Thanks again. I really appreciate the help. I was wondering how to use the "User Wallpaper" option in Winterboard. Do you know of any other themes off the top of your head that use the user wallpaper feature?
    I always just replace the wallpapers via SSH.
    07-08-09 06:48 PM
    Awesome! Got it! Thanks again. I really appreciate the help. I was always wondering how to use the "User Wallpaper" option in Winterboard. Do you know of any other themes off the top of your head that use the user wallpaper feature?
    Any theme can use the User Wallpaper; just uncheck the Themes Wallpaper when loading it in Winterboard.
    07-08-09 07:50 PM
    Funny... one these threads, I always see one notable omission that has been included on every jailbroken iPhone I've ever seen... I guess it is uncouth to discuss in public.

I speak, of course, of the *ulo.us series of tools. From what I can tell, this is really the only worthwhile reason to jailbreak, the rest is just fluff. Seeing as how Apple views jailbreaking as a copyright violation, might as well go whole hog (with an apple in its mouth?) and violate a slew more copyrights while you're at it?
    07-09-09 12:54 AM
    Funny... one these threads, I always see one notable omission that has been included on every jailbroken iPhone I've ever seen... I guess it is uncouth to discuss in public.

I speak, of course, of the *ulo.us series of tools. From what I can tell, this is really the only worthwhile reason to jailbreak, the rest is just fluff. Seeing as how Apple views jailbreaking as a copyright violation, might as well go whole hog (with an apple in its mouth?) and violate a slew more copyrights while you're at it?
    Actually you're not violating copyright laws by jailbreaking, you're violating the EULA which is an entirely different thing. Using the *ulo.us repositories and tools is software piracy. You're basically stealing Apps from the App store. Again, completely different thing then using Cydia/Icy.
    07-09-09 01:02 AM
    I didn't say it was illegal, I said Apple views it that way:

Apple Says iPhone Jailbreaking is Illegal | Electronic Frontier Foundation

Edited to add:
    And if Apple has their way, it will be illegal soon enough.
    Last edited by zzycatch; 07-09-09 at 01:13 AM.
    07-09-09 01:10 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD