I didn't say it was illegal, I said Apple views it that way:

Apple Says iPhone Jailbreaking is Illegal | Electronic Frontier Foundation

Edited to add:
    And if Apple has their way, it will be illegal soon enough.
    Nobody argued that point.

I said it wasn't violating copyright laws.

Reading comprehension ftw.
    07-09-09 01:21 AM
    Yes, reading comprehension is good...

So go back and read what I said:
    "Seeing as how Apple views jailbreaking as a copyright violation"

Now read the EFF article (first line no less):
    "Jailbreaking an iPhone constitutes copyright infringement and a DMCA violation, says Apple"

Note the lack of future tense, they believe it is illegal now.

Then you made the woefully uninformed comment:
    "Actually you're not violating copyright laws by jailbreaking, you're violating the EULA which is an entirely different thing."

Not having an iphone rot my brain ftw!

Edited to add:
    Oh, now I remember you... you think that basic device security is a function of only 5% of businesses. Yeah there is nothing I can gain from further conversation with you. Thanks.
    Last edited by zzycatch; 07-09-09 at 01:58 AM.
    07-09-09 01:33 AM
    lol wow did you even read your own article?

By law it's not a copyright violation, illegal or a violation of the DMCA.

Apple simply views it as such. Doesn't make it anymore true then your belief about handset security. Also .. your source is the EFF... seriously? That's rich.

How about about I link articles from l0pht on their stance of copyright infringement; would that make what they say true?

When you actually have a clue, come back and run your mouth some more.

When you actually have some experience in dealing with security protocols across a wide array of networks, mobile devices and the like then feel free to try again.

If Apple was serious about making a big deal about jailbreaking they would already have done so. The dirty secret is jailbreaking fixes more security holes in the OSX based iPhone then Apple want's to admit. It's why they refer to it as their 'cat and mouse game' with jailbreakers. They release patches, OS gets hacked, they plug holes and release more patches; repeat. They don't have to utilize their own man-hours and spend large sums of money to do what the community does for free.

Get a clue already.
    07-09-09 02:51 AM
    Unfortunately everytime I do try and download the Glaskart theme, which I found earlier today on mac themes, I get an error in Cyndia.
    I saw it on Mac Themes and think it looks amazing.
    07-09-09 03:44 AM
    Finally got Glaskow to work. Took 3 installations.
    Are we supposed to check the other options for it?

I'm quite proud of it.
    07-09-09 03:58 AM
    It takes less then 5 minutes, at WORST you have to restore your phone which is a cakewalk in iTunes. Seriously it's not as scary as everyone makes out. I only recommend using purplera1n for your jbreak as it's 100x simpler then the Dev-Team's version; Redsn0w. I'll do a write up tonight on step by step Jailbreaking, installing Cydia/Icy and how to get all the Repositories you need to start installing 3rd party Apps. I'll also have a section on recommended jbreak Apps that make your iPhone even more powerful then it already is.
    Jeli, Did you get a chance to do this write up? I'm relatively new to iPhones (bought the 3GS the day it came out). I was using the BB Storm for the last 3 months which means I played with leaks and hybrids. I'm not afraid of trying the jailbreak but have a few questions.

Are all of the programs you need in one download? (purplera1n, Cydia, freeze)
    Does jailbreaking affect the phones interaction with iTunes?
    If I had to restore my iPhone will I have a backup in iTunes that works will a phone that's not jailbroken?
    With the Storm every theme, app, etc seemed to cause memory shortage problems. Is it the same with the iPhone?

Sorry if these questions seem silly, but like I said I'm new at this.

Thanks in advance.
    07-09-09 07:26 AM
    Nobody argued that point.

I said it wasn't violating copyright laws.

Reading comprehension ftw.
    Just a question, but what would you do if they did make it illegal? Not trying to start anything, but I would like to here some insight on what would happen.
    07-09-09 09:24 AM
    Unfortunately everytime I do try and download the Glaskart theme, which I found earlier today on mac themes, I get an error in Cyndia.
    I saw it on Mac Themes and think it looks amazing.
    Install it through Cydia, it's already a theme package in the default repositories.
    07-09-09 09:56 AM
    Finally got Glaskow to work. Took 3 installations.
    Are we supposed to check the other options for it?

I'm quite proud of it.
    Looks good! Yeah in Winterboard enable all the theme options you want so it skins across the entire device.
    07-09-09 09:56 AM
    Jeli, Did you get a chance to do this write up? I'm relatively new to iPhones (bought the 3GS the day it came out). I was using the BB Storm for the last 3 months which means I played with leaks and hybrids. I'm not afraid of trying the jailbreak but have a few questions.

Are all of the programs you need in one download? (purplera1n, Cydia, freeze)
    Does jailbreaking affect the phones interaction with iTunes?
    If I had to restore my iPhone will I have a backup in iTunes that works will a phone that's not jailbroken?
    With the Storm every theme, app, etc seemed to cause memory shortage problems. Is it the same with the iPhone?

Sorry if these questions seem silly, but like I said I'm new at this.

Thanks in advance.
    Working on the write-up today, I passed out last night.

Yes 'Purplera1n' will install 'Freeze' on your phone which in turn installs 'Cydia'.

You use Cydia to install individual packages to unlock the potential of your phone.
    ----3rd Party Apps, Themes, etc.

A jailbroken phone works fine with iTunes.

Before you attempt to jailbreak, backup your phone in iTunes so you always have a restore point.
    ----If you don't backup in iTunes it's still okay, you just get a fresh installation if you have to restore your phone.

The iPhone is all about Apps, thus the App Store. Installing 3rd party Apps is usually not a problem. That being said when you use Cydia to install non-Apple approved Apps there's a chance some of them might be buggy. It's always recommended to read the 'Info' on each App you install and to check out 'User Comments', etc. There are the 'known' Apps that are really popular in the jailbreak world that work just fine. I have a ridiculous amount of stuff installed on my 3GS and I have not noticed any decrease in performance. One thing that does cause a bit of lag, sometimes, is using video wallpaper. It's hit or miss with those. You just have to try them out. With the iPhone though you wont see the memory drain like you did on the Storm. It is based on OSX for the Mac which in turn is built on Unix. It takes care of itself as an OS in regards to memory and processing cycles. The only thing I can really see having an impact is if you install 'Backgrounder' to multitask 3rd party Apps and leave like 20 things open in addition to all the native iPhone Apps. SBSettings helps in that regard so you can check which processes might be running that you forgot about and you can kill them.

^^ Sorry for the wall of text, I'm not awake.
    07-09-09 10:05 AM
    Just a question, but what would you do if they did make it illegal? Not trying to start anything, but I would like to here some insight on what would happen.
    I think things would continue just as they are. People will still Jailbreak. The problem arises when Apple lays claim to a device you bought. Most jailbreakers agree that the iPhone is THEIR phone and they can do what they want with it. TBH I could live without jailbreaking my phone. The 3GS does almost everything I want right now as it is. That being said, I enjoy jailbreaking and using/coding 3rd party Apps to improve an already amazing device. Just the hacker in me. The only thing I really don't condone is using the sources out there that let you install App Store stuff for free.
    07-09-09 10:07 AM
    i just jailbroke my new 3Gs! i was wondering if there was an app that would let me change my new email sound? i used my BB Curve for dispatching my guys and cant find out how to get my iphone to make a loud noise if i get an email from a customer.
    07-09-09 10:19 AM
    I think things would continue just as they are. People will still Jailbreak. The problem arises when Apple lays claim to a device you bought. Most jailbreakers agree that the iPhone is THEIR phone and they can do what they want with it. TBH I could live without jailbreaking my phone. The 3GS does almost everything I want right now as it is. That being said, I enjoy jailbreaking and using/coding 3rd party Apps to improve an already amazing device. Just the hacker in me. The only thing I really don't condone is using the sources out there that let you install App Store stuff for free.
    Yea. I hear your. The device is yours, but the software isn't. The same thing happens to people who make maps for videogames and what not. Don't get me wrong I don't agree with it, but you agreed to the EULA when you started up your device. Can't really say "Yes I Agree, but only so I can use the device"

Lack of customization is one thing that really irritates me about Apple. If they worked on implementing the things that people wanted instead of trying to control everything you do and what you use on your Apple products. Cudos to the people who spearheaded the jailbreaking.
    07-09-09 10:27 AM
    Yea. I hear your. The device is yours, but the software isn't. The same thing happens to people who make maps for videogames and what not. Don't get me wrong I don't agree with it, but you agreed to the EULA when you started up your device. Can't really say "Yes I Agree, but only so I can use the device"

Lack of customization is one thing that really irritates me about Apple. If they worked on implementing the things that people wanted instead of trying to control everything you do and what you use on your Apple products. Cudos to the people who spearheaded the jailbreaking.
    I agree that Apple's proprietary'ism (that a word? lol) is annoying. I have an AppleTV that's hacked so I can use Boxee and Hulu on it. Im running a hacked version of OSX (iDeneb v1.4) on my Dell so I didn't have to buy a Macbook. The only thing I haven't really messed with is my new iMac 24" because .. well I can't think of anything to do to it yet lol.
    07-09-09 10:53 AM
    They wouldn't do **** if they made it illegal besides deter some people.
    They WONT shut your phone down because they want your money from appstore/iTunes.
    They WONT cancel your account because ATT wouldn't let it happen.
    They WONT do anything.

Also another amazing App is MxTube. It lets you download Youtube videos instantly. You can even choose Hi/Low quality settings. Categories is awesome too.
    07-09-09 11:49 AM
    They wouldn't do **** if they made it illegal besides deter some people.
    They WONT shut your phone down because they want your money from appstore/iTunes.
    They WONT cancel your account because ATT wouldn't let it happen.
    They WONT do anything.

Also another amazing App is MxTube. It lets you download Youtube videos instantly. You can even choose Hi/Low quality settings. Categories is awesome too.
    From the sounds of it they aren't going to go after the people who jailbreak their phones. They are looking at the developers who make the jailbreaking software and apps. If they do so it won't stop people from using their Iphones
    07-09-09 01:52 PM
    Just a quick clarification for the 3G owners:

Do we use Redsn0w or purplera1n?

Thanks
    07-09-09 02:12 PM
    So with jailbreaking, is adding ring tones easier? Or do I have to continue cutting 30 second clips out of every song I want and converting it to a different format. I'd like to be able to choose any song that is in my iTunes. Also, after jailbreaking are you able to still use the iTunes store as well as use iTunes to back up the phone?
    07-09-09 02:21 PM
    ^Yeah you can use everything you were able to before.
    Also there are tons of ringtone apps out there. Look into that.
    If they go after developers it wont do much as most use torrents anyways.
    I have 3G 3.0 and I jailbroke mine with Redsn0w. Not difficult at all.
    07-09-09 02:27 PM
    Just a quick clarification for the 3G owners:

Do we use Redsn0w or purplera1n?

Thanks
    Redsn0w. purplera1n is for the 3GS.
    Last edited by GAM3INO; 07-09-09 at 04:15 PM.
    07-09-09 04:07 PM
    Appsync is quite the App as well XD
    07-09-09 11:33 PM
    Redsn0w. purplera1n is for the 3GS.
    Thanks, I'm still debating on doing it. I'm not computer illiterate but I'm not a hacker either.
    07-10-09 12:14 AM
    Okay, I did it. Pretty easy, now I have to figure out why I did it LOL. I have no idea what to do with a jailbroken iphone.
    07-10-09 01:36 AM
    Look on the first post I listed some good apps others talked about.
    07-10-09 01:54 AM
    Okay, I did it. Pretty easy, now I have to figure out why I did it LOL. I have no idea what to do with a jailbroken iphone.
    There will be an icon on your desktop named Cydia. Just open cydia, and browse through all the packages and download whatever you want. Like Wrath said, there are some good apps listed in here.
    07-10-09 05:28 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD