Had an htc hero(android) then recently went to the new BB Style9670 with OS6. Granted it will take alot for me to want another android and I have enjoyed the functionality of the BB for email/phone/battery etc ... I do miss touch typing (if u can believe it) and other bells an whistles BB can't provide, I am now considering the IPhone 4 with Vzw. I had my android rooted but the only real advantage for me was the hotspot that provided. May go iPad as well if uncle Sam will be good on my refund. Sooooo what are the big advantages of JBing iPhone and iPad ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-11 08:10 PM
    From what I understand about jailbreaking however never done it myself, I believe it simply allows u you install 3rd party apps from outside the apple store
    02-08-11 09:04 PM
    It allows you to access repositories such as Cydia, where there are literally hundreds of themes, apps, games, ringtones, etc. It makes your stock iDevice way more customizable, and IMO, fun. I jailbroke my first i4 the day I bought it, and my second, the day after the greenpoison JB became available for Windows.
    02-08-11 09:38 PM
    Comparable to Rooting a Droid. Allows "unauthorized" apps/sources to be installed.
    02-08-11 10:20 PM
    So mainly just access to third party apps and esthetic customization? On a rooted droid you could overclock, get better batt life, use the phone as an unauth wifi hotspot etc etc, so nothing like that?

02-09-11 07:18 AM
    So mainly just access to third party apps and esthetic customization? On a rooted droid you could overclock, get better batt life, use the phone as an unauth wifi hotspot etc etc, so nothing like that?

iPhone doesn't really have battery issues so haven't noticed any app tweaks..
    there are a few tethering apps..
    this is one of the most popular MyWi 4.0 - iPhone� WiFi Tethering and iPad�
    02-09-11 08:53 AM
    I'm thinking about jailbreaking. Is it easy to unjailbreak in case I have to bring the phone into apple/vzw for service?
    02-09-11 09:26 AM
    I'm thinking about jailbreaking. Is it easy to unjailbreak in case I have to bring the phone into apple/vzw for service?
    Sure. You just connect to iTunes and hit "Restore", and it takes you back to the original factory settings. I've done it already.
    moni19 likes this.
    02-09-11 09:32 AM
    Sure. You just connect to iTunes and hit "Restore", and it takes you back to the original factory settings. I've done it already.
    Ok cool...thanks
    02-09-11 09:37 AM
    does it completely release you from itunes? I mean can u still buy from the store and stuff?
    02-09-11 09:00 PM
    Yeah you can still get stuff from the apple store.
    02-09-11 09:14 PM
    Will JBing allow me to take a picture of my homescreen, and change the "ping" when i get new mail?
    02-09-11 09:21 PM
    Will JBing allow me to take a picture of my homescreen, and change the "ping" when i get new mail?

Just hold the home button and tap the power button for a screen shot. It will go automatically to the camera roll.
    02-09-11 10:07 PM
    You can change the sound type for anything on the iPhone if have jailbroken your device. But, you'd have to read up on SSH'ing, and the likes to do that...

02-10-11 07:44 AM
    You can change the sound type for anything on the iPhone if have jailbroken your device. But, you'd have to read up on SSH'ing, and the likes to do that...
    I highly recommend getting DiskAid..

DiskAid transfers Files to iPhone, iPad & iPod touch, USB External Drive

They have a free 10 day trial..Makes it much quicker/simpler working with jailbroken iPhones.
    02-10-11 07:59 AM

yes you will be able to change new mail sound.

Just need to keep in the same format (aiff)..then rename and replace in the same folder as stock.

The Cydia store also has a bunch of free popular sounds for sms..lock..unlock etc. that can be installed and does the work for you. Just really have to select and restart.
    02-10-11 08:06 AM
    yes you will be able to change new mail sound.

Just need to keep in the same format (aiff)..then rename and replace in the same folder as stock.

The Cydia store also has a bunch of free popular sounds for sms..lock..unlock etc. that can be installed and does the work for you. Just really have to select and restart.
    Sorry if i seem slow, but this is all new to me. Jailbreaking will help me get rid of the "ping" notification for new mail. I got that. Can i attach a new mail ringtone to a contact? How about an e-mail account(i have three on the iPhone4)? If it's possible, i'll probably need step by step directions.
    02-10-11 09:10 PM
    Sorry if i seem slow, but this is all new to me. Jailbreaking will help me get rid of the "ping" notification for new mail. I got that. Can i attach a new mail ringtone to a contact? How about an e-mail account(i have three on the iPhone4)? If it's possible, i'll probably need step by step directions.
    I don't have any ping sound for new emails. You don't have to jailbreak the iphone to get rid of the new mail notification sounds.
    02-10-11 09:59 PM
    O.K. So how do i attach one of my ringtones to the "new mail" sound?
    02-10-11 11:10 PM
    grunt0300, I would do a search on YouTube. There are lots of videos on how to do this...

But, it can be done, one just needs to SSH into their iPhone, and replace the current new_mail sound, with their own.
    02-11-11 08:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD