Ok, total BB guy here, looking at going iPhone or Droid - everybody talking about jailbreaking their phone...

What the heck does that mean???
    02-11-11 10:44 AM
    Jailbreaking is a process that allows devices running Apple's operating system to gain full access to all features of the operating system, by removing restrictions by Apple. Once jailbroken, users are able to download additional applications, extensions and themes that are unavailable through Apple. After the device is jailbroken, it still functions normally allowing all of the regular features to still operate as they did beore the device was jailbroke. I think it's similar to rooting an Android type device.
    02-11-11 11:20 AM
    Best thing to ever do to an iPhone is to jailbreak. It is what the iPhone should be like out of the box. This kinda phone needs to be free. Would never use an iPhone as stock again after being through the Jailbreak experience.
    02-11-11 11:44 AM
    Jailbreaking is a process that allows devices running Apple's operating system to gain full access to all features of the operating system, by removing restrictions by Apple. Once jailbroken, users are able to download additional applications, extensions and themes that are unavailable through Apple. After the device is jailbroken, it still functions normally allowing all of the regular features to still operate as they did beore the device was jailbroke. I think it's similar to rooting an Android type device.
    You should also add that if you don't know what you are doing, there is a (small) chance of bricking your iPhone. And, yes, there are sites you can traverse too from your phone, click one button and, voila.....

But make sure if you use a site like that, that you validate them here before you just go and click a button on some site......
    02-11-11 12:17 PM
    You should also add that if you don't know what you are doing, there is a (small) chance of bricking your iPhone. And, yes, there are sites you can traverse too from your phone, click one button and, voila.....

But make sure if you use a site like that, that you validate them here before you just go and click a button on some site......

Good point, I guess I was simply trying to explain what actual jailbreaking was rather than the process to do it. I know that until Apple released the security patch, you could just go to JailbreakMe and with one swipe, the phone was set free. Now it can still be done done, but is a little more involved.
    02-11-11 08:15 PM
    Appreciate the insight. Thanks guys.

Still haven't decided on iPhone or Droid Thunderbolt when it comes out...
    02-11-11 08:23 PM
    Appreciate the insight. Thanks guys.

Still haven't decided on iPhone or Droid Thunderbolt when it comes out...
    Definitely Thunderbolt.
    02-11-11 08:52 PM
    how do you jailbreak ipad2?
    03-29-11 02:43 PM
    how do you jailbreak ipad2?
    You can only do a tethered jailbreak right now. Wait for an un-tethered jailbreak.
    03-29-11 02:59 PM
    I would love to jailbreak my 3Gs and have full access to customize it however i want but it looks so confusing and i know ill screw something up!! if anyone can PM me maybe help me through it so i dont mess it up?! i am running IOS 4.3.1.
    03-29-11 04:04 PM
    Jailbreaking is making your device do what should have been implemented natively by Apple. There should be no need for it but Apple in their infinite wisdom lock down their devices so they can control what they deem fit for their users.
    03-29-11 06:23 PM
    I would love to jailbreak my 3Gs and have full access to customize it however i want but it looks so confusing and i know ill screw something up!! if anyone can PM me maybe help me through it so i dont mess it up?! i am running IOS 4.3.1.
    No unteathered jb for you currently
    03-29-11 09:02 PM
    No unteathered jb for you currently
    Yes I saw that I'll just have to wait for it cause i am not going through that everytime I reboot hopefully it comes out soon!
    03-29-11 09:45 PM
    Yes I saw that I'll just have to wait for it cause i am not going through that everytime I reboot hopefully it comes out soon!
    Tweets earlier today said the unteather was given to the dev-team for beta testing and it was up to them from there on.
    03-29-11 10:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD