I know this is the iPhone thread but can one of you geniuses answer my question?

Is it possible to set up my mail app to ring or make noise whenever I get a new email?
    Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-08 10:41 PM
    Nope that would not be possible. Sorry.

12-25-08 10:47 PM
    Nope that would not be possible. Sorry.

12-25-08 11:00 PM
    Oh, well is there another app out there that alerts me when I get an email for my iPod touch?

12-25-08 11:01 PM
    Yes, you can set up your touch to alert you of new emails. It will not "ring" due to the speaker, but it will make noise. Go into settings, general, sounds. Turn the sound effects on to the speaker and then toggle the New Mail to on.

Hope this helps.
    12-25-08 11:16 PM
    Bump

12-25-08 11:16 PM
    Bump

You would need to jailbreak your touch. If you have the 2g, then you may have lucked out as there isn't a jailbreak for the current 2.2 firmware.

12-25-08 11:57 PM
    You would need to jailbreak your touch. If you have the 2g, then you may have lucked out as there isn't a jailbreak for the current 2.2 firmware.

You don't need to jailbreak your touch to have audible email alerts. Just turn them on under settings, general, sounds.
    12-26-08 12:02 AM
    You don't need to jailbreak your touch to have audible email alerts. Just turn them on under settings, general, sounds.
    So you can make it ring?
    12-26-08 01:57 AM
    The Mail app is defaulted to on... I'm almost certain the user isn't referring to wanting that. He probably wants something louder and more distinguished to be able to know he had mail come in.
    12-26-08 02:05 AM
    Um...alrighty :-/

::

12-26-08 03:27 AM
    Don't the new ipod touches have speakers? I only have the older generation one but if the new one has speakers then it should be able to make an email sound. Sorry I can't help any further
    12-26-08 10:16 AM
    Yes, the new iPod touch have speakers in the inside. But yes I do believe it does have an email alert feature..
    12-26-08 12:32 PM
    Is there a way I can configure the app to alert me ad soon as I get an email? Because right now it only alerts me when I open up my email on this

12-26-08 06:18 PM
    Yes. Turn push on in the fetch new data option of settings. This will allow for instant notification or new emails. If your email account isn't capable of push services, you have to set up fetch to fetch your new emails every 15, 30, or 60 minutes. Fetch will notify you when it fetches new emails.

12-26-08 06:42 PM
    How would I know if my email is capable of push? I want to be able to read my emails as soon as I get it. I don't want to have to wait 15,30,45, or an hour. I have a yahoo account if that helps.

12-26-08 10:33 PM
    How would I know if my email is capable of push? I want to be able to read my emails as soon as I get it. I don't want to have to wait 15,30,45, or an hour. I have a yahoo account if that helps.

All yahoo accounts have push on iphones and ipod touches. If you want them immediately, keep refreshing the inbox.

This does not work for Yahoo plus accounts, which need to be set up through POP
    12-26-08 10:57 PM
    What's a "yahoo plus" account. That's the thing, I wanna get my messages WITHOUT manually refreshing the inbox. What's POP

12-26-08 11:11 PM
    What's a "yahoo plus" account. That's the thing, I wanna get my messages WITHOUT manually refreshing the inbox. What's POP

Settings --> Fetch New Data

Ensure push is set to 'On'

Now scroll down and go to Advanced

Ensure your yahoo account is set to 'Push' and not 'Fetch' or 'Manual'
    12-26-08 11:27 PM
    When I got to settings I set it to push. When I went to advanced I only saw manual and fetch. My mail app still fetched every 15 minute

12-26-08 11:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD